City Inn Glasgow

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo

Great Food

I may also have mentioned that I love food... One of the things that attracted me to the City Inn were the great reviews about the hotel restaurant. So I got to the hotel and checked in, really friendly staff, and got to my room. Not huge but enough room to move about, nice clean bathroom, very, very big bed. Flat screen tv, cd player you know, nice touches that make you feel comfortable.
    Apart from the 0 button on my phone not working the room was perfect... (Having to call room service from my mobile was not great service).

Unique Quality: The food was indeed good, on the first night I had slow cooked belly pork with puy lentils and spinach in a creamy sauce. Really nice, the wine list is good too, I had a gorgeous bottle of Malbec for under £20.
    Second night I'd had a big lunch so went for a sandwich, salt beef with home made piccallili and hand cut chips. Great chips, great piccallili, couple of beers and the meal went down a treat!

Directions: Right on the Clyde, opposite the SECC

More about City Inn Glasgow

Loved City Inn Glasgow - better than the Glasgow Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member LB47

We went to the City Inn for our Wedding Anniversary. We did get a deal, just by asking for the best rates when we phoned!

We visit Glasgow at least once a year and have eaten in the retaurant before, we also use the one in Birmingham, so knew what to expect, and loved it. The service, from the time we arrived to the time we checked out was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and the guy on reception was extremely helpful and had a great sense of humour!

The room was very clean, we had a view of the Clyde, which we loved, and there was a free car park, we couldn't believe our luck.

Unlike other reviewers we DID walk home late evening, and sorry but we didn't notice the "red light" area and felt quite safe, although we would not have walked any great distance very late at night, whether on holiday or business, you don't do you?

Couldn't fault the place and we had the 5 star Glasgow Hilton to compare it with, believe me the food at City Cafe beats the Hilton hands down!

Fantastic Food, Brilliant Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member mentaltraveller

The restaurant and bar managers were great, the food was delightful. Great selection, fresh, healthy, appetizing. Had room service in the evening for 3 nights and it was consistently terrific--a very pleasant surprise. We have had terrible breakfasts and awful food in Edinburgh hotels.
The room was extremely small, but nice design. Shower was great. Location was in the middle of nowhere, endless empty asphalt world. So you really are dependent on the hotel food. Also no public transportation whatsoever of any kind nearby. A bit appalling.
Bed very hard and uncomfortable. Room definitely not as clean as it could be.
Excellent gym facility available across the street--the small one in the hotel is laughable.
Right on a bike path, and you can walk along the banks of the river (with the endless parking lots beside you).

Value for money (if you get a discounted rate)

We stayed here for one night in August and had only booked the night before so had a reasonably cheap rate. For what we paid, the hotel was absolutely fine - the room was small but clean and modern with good quality TV and stereo.

We had breakfast the following morning and it was all freshly cooked to order with a reasonable choice on the cold buffet too.

The location is not ideal as it's a good 20 minute walk into the city centre so a taxi ride is essential at night as the area is very quiet.

All in all, the hotel is fine but if we had paid their rack rate, I would have been very disappointed.

Just what I was looking for ...

by TripAdvisor Member OnePotatoTwoPotato

Thoroughly modern hotel right near the SCC on the quayside and barely minutes (by car) from "downtown" Glasgow.

The staff were efficient, helpful and very pleasant. Didn't eat there, so no idea what the food was like. Parking is easy and free (good!)

Some reviewers have complained that the room was small. They're right in that it is a bit tight (no bath tub -only a shower), but it was fresh, clean, modern with an LCD TV and DVD player.

All in all, this was JUST what I wanted - a clean, modern room, in town at a great price. This place really delivered!

Nice hotel

Excellent location by the river. Outside seating area. Rooms very clean and house & reception staff very helpful. Service in the Bar area around 4pm was nothing short of pathetic. There was enough staff working (2) to serve those around, but they were very very slow, then they charged very high prices. We would probably have been cheaper and quicker walking into town. It put us off returning to the hotel at night for a night cap. Overall: Initially had problem booking through the internet and seemed to accidently book the room three times. I managed to cancel two though, and the hotel very promptly confirmed I still had the one booking by email. Distance from town was further than we realised, and we were told by the taxi driver not to walk home, as the area was a red light area and very bad for muggings. Maybe others should be made aware of this, or like other hotels I have visited, have a courtesy mini bus to Town, rail station and airport.

Enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member ManxMike

We enjoyed our two night stay at the City Inn.

Arriving by car, it was easy to find as it's right before the well sign posted SECC and had a large free car park. It's a smallish looking grey hotel right under the arm or a very large unused dock crane

The check in was faultless, we'd arrived a bit early and had to wait a little while but were given free coffe and vouchers for free wine in the restaurant.

The rooms were a little small but were clean and well appointed. I appreciated the free internet access in the rooms.

The location suited us, we had our car nearby if needed and we bought a two day city bus tour ticket, and one of the stops was right opposite the hotel. It was also quiet at night and I could get a good night's sleep, unlike in some city centre hotels.

The one thing that let the hotel down for me was the restaurant - I hate nouvelle cuisine. Give me decent portions of good food anyday

Cracking Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member vonnibabes

Me and 3 friends were going a night out in Glasgow and were looking for a good value hotel within a decent location. I am a travel agent so we got a good rate.

We arrived about dinner time and first impressions were that it was nice but reception area seemed a bit small. We checked in with no hassel and staff were very friendly. Got to our room - it was great! We had 2 rooms for the 4 of us. We got a river facing view at no extra charge and the view was great with the massive floor to ceiling windows, only downfall that was Scotland in November.... well its gonna be cold! It made it a bit drafty, closing the curtains helped but I still had cold feet. It had all mod cons inc DVD player, flat screen TV with satalite and a CD Player. It was furnished nicely with enough plug sockets for us to get ready and still listen to music, had a little table and a couple of chairs which made the room look smaller but were handy for room service and wine ;o) There was a massive big bed (a little hard but still comfortable) and a desk. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was great, the mistfree mirror was a godsend! There was also bathrobes in the wardrobes, lovely clean and soft, it was great!

We didnt get our breakfast at the hotel but we did order room service before we went out. 2 small ceaser salads with parma ham, 2 portions of chips a quite big panini and a packed chicken wrap. This cost £26.00 so not too bad as we would have spent more going to a restaurant, the food was lovely.

Hotel phoned us a taxi, location was a little out but walkable in the summer. We left our keycard thingy in the room and staff were very friendly when we explained when we arrived back after our night out (blind drunk and they still put up with us!) They issued us with a new one so there was no real fuss.

Overall I really liked this hotel, the staff, cleanliness and comforts were great and the location (esp for people that are maybe hiring a car or going to the SECC) is pretty good. If you do go I'm sure you'll have a fantastic stay!

Downhill from the first night

by TripAdvisor Member Julie4570

For the business traveler in the UK, this hotel in Scotland can appear a slick, well run establishment with clean decor, excellent internet services, and a number of features we have not come across at other hotels in the UK (e.g., in-room DVD player with selection of DVDs at the front desk, corporate membership at Greens Health Club, a short walk away). But if you are one of many travellers who need to stay more than a day or two (as we were), the City Inn's weaknesses come glaringly to light. The concierge was constantly absent and there is no disabled access from the street, meaning you have to lift your bags up or down the stairs. The hotel is quite isolated from restaurants, pharmacies, and city nightlife. Yet it is close to the Scottish Exhibition Centre, which meant that our first night was characterized by loud, drunken crowds of young people who had attended a rock concert there and chosen to carry on the party at our hotel (one assumes they were paying guests); there was also a fire drill the same night (coincidence?). The hours of the restaurant were not posted anywhere, and even the staff appeared to have trouble answering this question. Moreover, the cleaning staff did little more than empty the bins and pull up the comforter each day, requiring us (among other things) to call down for the correct number of towels twice. Lastly, the rooms are tiny, have next to no storage facilities (exactly ONE drawer in the whole room), and were very stuffy unless the window was kept open constantly (impossible since there is heavy construction going on directly across the river). A place we will never return to.

What a view !

by TripAdvisor Member KatieMoragBelfast

We stayed at the City Inn for one night and enjoyed the best dinner and breakfast I have experienced in any hotel in Glasgow. City Inn are able to provide a fabulous mix of luxury and excellence at affordable prices. I was delighted to be able to get the best price available from the hotel direct rather than having to book through an agent.
The room was spotless and really well kept.I loved the CD players , the flat screen TV and the showers were amazing. I thought the hotel was new but they have been open for over 5 years. Ok the area isnt the best but having stayed in many other hotels in Glasgow City Inn is definitely not in the red light district.
Dinner was fantastic - we had initially booked another restaurant in the centre and changed our minds when we saw the menu. The atmosphere was fab - and the views over the Clyde ( if you ignore the building site across the way !) I loved the peace and quiet of it all.
The staff were pleasant, although a little harassed but nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel very welcome.
I cant wait for my next visit in January - we have already booked up for a shopping weekend.!

Comments