South-west shores of Loch Lomond, Arden, G83 8QZ, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Preferred Hotels

Costs 132% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about De Vere Cameron House

Amazing Hotel

Stayed at the amazing Cameron House Hotel last month.. stunning scenery, friendly staff, wonderful Leisure Club, especially if you have kids. Two huge pools, kids club etc (in the holidays), something for everyone. Really lovely walks through the grounds beside Loch Lomond, especially down to their waterside Marina restaurant -loved this because it's informal with an open pizza oven! Highly rcommended for all age groups.

Something for everyone

by TripAdvisor Member Dan001

Stayed at cameron house for a 2 night break,had a superb time.The staff were great the rooms were well appointed and the restaurant although not cheap is value for every penny.The hotel is worth going to for the restaurant alone note there is a strict dress code for the restaurant.The hotel is great for all concerned dad can play golf and have a beer,mum can get pampered and kids can have fun round the pool.All in all you can't go wrong with the place for a short break.

Lovely setting, but....

by TripAdvisor Member uryjm

I've stayed a couple of times at this hotel and there's no doubt it's in a lovely location. I also really like the rooms, which are better than the majority of hotels although some of the fittings look a bit bruised and battered. The leisure club is nice too, with a good pool and a big water slide for the kids. But what I find most disappointing is the cavernous bar area that just totally lacks atmosphere, and a restaurant that suffers from a similar condition. With all the space they have to play with, you think they could have designed a wee snug bar and a more intimate restaurant for couples. I've never been able to relax in either the bar or restaurant and, given the hotel is pretty isolated, you're pretty much stuck there. The food is okay, nothing special for the standard of hotel, but the breakfasts are good.
The staff are friendly and always say hello, although you suspect they've been ordered to! I didn't play the golf course but I'm told it's up there with the best in Scotland and therefore the world.
I'd stay in Cameron House again, knowing it would be pleasant enough or if I could get a good deal to take the family for a night. Normally I'm there on business so someone else is footing the bill, and that's always the best way to stay!

Very disappointed this is not a five star hotel

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. We were bitterly disappointed having expected from a five star hotel something special other than the view. We had booked a deluxe room at a rate of £245 per night. The bedroom was small and shabby with bleach stains on the bedcovers. The furniture/decoration was tired and battered, The bathroom was not much better. We had just come from a real five star hotel in Edinburgh (having only paid £205 p.night) and there was no comparison. There was no element of luxury in our accommodation. The spa was equally disappointing just being a series of basic grubby rooms with treatment beds - the whole area needs up dating. The sports facilities were fairly good as long as you don't mind feeling as though you are in your local sports center.
The Smollets restaurant lacked atmosphere although the food was good and the staff friendly. The Georgian room was closed whilst we were there. The bar and lounge area is awful with no atmosphere or style. The rooms downstairs are far better for your pre-dinner drinks. I would rate this as a low four star hotel and very over priced.
Having said all this, the setting is lovely and the staff friendly and helpful.

agree with previous reviews

We booked this hotel direct last minute literally. we rang them ten minutes before we arrived. We paid £120 for superior room with a view of the loch and breakfast which I did not think to bad a price.
The staff were very friendly on our arrival could not fault them at all.
Our room as described had fantastic views of the loch could not ask for better. Although our room was large and had every mod con, I have to agree with the previous reviews it was a little tired and could do with a refurb, but the location of the hotel and the lovely staff seem to make up for it.
I can't comment on the evening meals in the restaurants as we ordered room service which was fine.
Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment it is a buffet and obviously when food is left sitting in heaters its not great.
Saying all this if i did return to loch lomond i would stay here again without hesitation

Not 5*

by TripAdvisor Member 200rrr

After living in Glasgow since birth and hearing so much about it, I was interested to check out the hotel for myself.

When I noticed a discounted rate at £99 B&B for 2, we booked a standard room.

There is no doubt the location is fantastic. However The Hotel does need a full refurbishment and the carpets/ decor/ furnature etc need replaced. There is no way anyone should pay more than £100 for a standard room. The leisure facilities were ok but nothing special. Evening meal in the Marina was very good. Breakfast was disspointing in that we waited 15 mins without the offer of coffee and toast, before I flagged a waitress gasping for a drink.

It is obvious that 10 years ago this hotel was superb but is now is losing its grip. Stay at The Lodge on Loch Lomond, down the road from this hotel if you are in the area. It is much more personal, cosy and modern and cheaper!!

Not a five star hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member SUPERDOVE

Having stayed at various excellant hotels throughout the UK we thought we would pay this a visit for our second anniversary. We managed to get a classic room without a loch view for £99 on a Saturday evening b and b which I thought was a great rate. The staff at the hotel were good and polite. However the decor was dated and the bedroom was small, stuffy and stuck in a timewarp. Our bed was too small for us both to sleep comfortably in (both 5ft 8in and not large!) the room was too hot even with the heating off, and the sheets did not appear to be clean. So much so that I spent the night sleeping on the sofa. We did not eat at the hotel as we chose the nearby Duck Bay Marina which was great. The breakfast was super though as was the location. I would not recommend staying here, as there are plenty more suitable places nearby. it seems to me this hotel lives on its reputation and its location.

Great Hotel with stunning views

by TripAdvisor Member The_organiser

I was part of a wedding party held at this hotel during Christmas and New Year.I was unsure what to expect as we are not local and didn't know much about the hotel- Glad i didn't read the reviews on here before. All the staff were so helpful and polite.Everytime you entered the hotel you where greeted by a smiling gentleman dressed in traditional Scottish dress, who could not do enough to help us. Lots of help from the staff which you don't get in many 3 or 4 star hotels.This help was much needed as we had many things to move and organise. The hotel as a wedding venue is fab everything seemed to flow on time and effortlessly. The meal was very good well service and presented. The Bridal Suite is beauitful with a massive bathoom and seperate living Room. This was great as many of the family gathered the next day to continue the party.I will be staying here next time i come to Loch Lommond.

Disappointing for an alleged 5* hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Daftlad1664

Just returned from a two night stay at Cameron House and I have to say we were totally underwhelmed. The location is great, with cracking views over Loch Lomond even through the mist and gray skies you would expect in January.

We received a very warm welcome from all of the staff and the check in was smooth and painless....and so to the bedroom. Bland would be a good description. For a Loch view room, which is supposed to be superior, it had nothing 5 star about it. A big bed, colour TV (which didn't work until I fixed the aerial) stuck in a huge coffin of a cabinet, basic tea and coffee making facilities with no biscuits - I thought shortbread was compulsory!, no bathrobes, pokey little tub, dull lighting etc, this was more like a generic 3* with a view. Another problem was the noise from neighbouring rooms. We heard every word of our neighbours conversation through the door adjoining the next room and they weren't noisy people.

The huge plus about the hotel is the staff who are brilliant, very polite, informative and always willing to help. The waiters/waitresses in the Marina were excellent and even though the chefs were having problems, they pacified the guests and ensured we were more than looked after.

We had a good weekend but for the price we would have expected a better quality hotel overall. Those people who have suggested stopping or dining at neighbouring hotels may have a point which is well worth investigating before booking Cameron House.

Outstanding, looking forward to our third visit

by TripAdvisor Member ON-Member

After reading the less than stellar reviews of Cameron House, I felt I should share our experience. We have been to Cameron House on two occasions. The first time was April 05. We loved it so much following our return to Canada, we arranged to be married there 4 months later. We have only positive things to say. Our room both times was perfect. The first time we were in a standard loch view room. The second time we were in the Fyne Suite. The staff was amazing. The food was excellent. Our wedding photos look like magazine shots (Gordon McGowan Photography). Having traveled extensively to many 5* locations, My husband and I have very high expectations, we were totally satisfied with Cameron House and are planning an anniversary trip. Sadly, we cannot say the same for Venlaw Castle in Peebles, even the Owner's email in reply to my written complaint was disappointing.

James Watt, steam pioneerJames Watt, steam pioneer

courtyard wired for wificourtyard wired for wifi

hour before kick offhour before kick off

School of ArtSchool of Art

Best hotel in Glasgow

by bean4bean4

HI!

I'm looking for "the best" hotel in Glasgow - in the city center.

I've been told One Devonshire is good. But I'm looking for a old charming hotel that have modern facilities at the same time. For example, I've reserved the Balmoral in Edinburgh and I'm looking for something similar.

Can you help me?