Grand Central Hotel

99 Gordon St., Glasgow, G1 3SF, United Kingdom

Grand Central Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• Maxus's Profile Photo

A great set for a horror film

With a door onto the concourse of Glasgow Central Station, the Central couldn’t be handier for anyone arriving in the city by train. It’s gets pretty bad reviews on every website I’ve visited but I like the place, for all its sins it has bags of character and even more space – it’s a massive place.

Don’t just turn up and book in because the room-only price displayed in reception is just silly but look around and see what deals are on offer.

Unique Quality: A weird and wonderful place to stay, if you like 'odd' you'll like it here.

Directions: In the City Centre

• RED RUM,THE SHINING HERE WE COME!

We had read grand descriptions of the hotel,boasting all its supposed amenities and room facilities and design.
    On arrival, we were met by reception staff who admitted to "not knowing what he was doin",and he tried to charge over 4 times the rate at which was confirmed during online booking.
    He asked another member of staff to help,and this was supposedly resolved. He then stated that we would have to leave our debit card details for a £25 security hold but this would not be charged.
    After awaiting 10 mins on the elavator,due to the other 2 being broken,we finally arrived to our room,struggling with our luggage.
    We were met by an old fashoined,run down bedroom which had torn wallpaper,broken shabby furniture,grotty old bedding which consisted of one blanket each with a cotten sheet, a thick layer of dust on the units and headboards,and not forgetting a disgusting spore riddled bathroom.
    The bathroom was full of mould,broken floortiles,dirt ingrained walltiles and a notice stating that "water was unsuitable for drinking".
    This is something you would expect in a third world country,not in Glasgow!
    We clearly believed that the water was a hazard when we decided to take a bath,and found that the water was yellow!!!
    The window security lock was broken,allowing for full opening of the window,how this passed health and safety issues I do not know!Especially when we had a 9 year old child with us,who quite easily could have reached the window sill,while 4 floors up!
    There was no heating,even although when we telephoned down to reception,were advised to use the unit in the room,which was in fact an air conditioning unit which was broken.
    We decided to explore the hotel, and found that the supposed grand bars were closed, and that the restuarant only served a limited menu from 6:30 pm until 9pm. Therefore there was nowhere to eat or drink, despite them having a notice on the door stating,"only food and drink purchased in this hotel may be consumed". Were we supposed to starve?
    We also found that the "newly refurbished leisure centre and swimming pool" were infact CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT"
    After a restless,disappointing night,we were glad to be leaving and checking out. Although, our disappointment didn't end there.
    On visiting the bank,I found that I had been charged the £25 to my account.I telephoned the hotel to be told that I hadn't. I explained that I had written proof in a bank statement, and this was when she said I would be refunded within the hour.Which 3 hours later I wasn't. So I telephoned the hotel again to be told that I would have to wait 3 days?
    3 days for an electronic debit to my account which any other time is instant, and of which I should not have been charged for in the first place!She then said that she would deal with it right away and telephone me back,and yes..she didn't!
    It is now a full day later, and I still haven't been refunded my £25,nor have I received my telephone call!
    I being Scottish,am disgusted that people from all over the world are visitng the first and nearest hotel ajoining the largest train station in Glasgow, only to be met by this hotel!
    Having stayed at various hotels within Glasgow and the surrounding area, and experienced an amazing,high standard, feel that this hotel gives tourists and visitors to our country the completely wrong impression of what is available!
    THIS HOTEL SHOULD BE REPORTED TO TRADING STANDARDS AND THE ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH BOARD!

Unique Quality: The grand staircase,if only it could be returned to its former glory!
    Please someone buy this hotel and return it to its original state!!
    There was nothing else about this hotel that I can say was positive other than the location.
    Check out the website I have attached,I am one of many many who agree!

• Spincat's Profile Photo

Step off the train and into bed

This is a great hotel if you like interesting old buildings. It is right by Glasgow's charming central station and everyone from Roy Rogers (...yes, with Trigger...) to Winston Churchill has stayed here. The building itself is amazing, although the chain that own it have not made the most of its potential: much of the decor is rather bland. The hotel has had a makeover, and some complaints I have seen on websites about peeling wallpaper would now be out of date, but the grand staircase and public rooms would benefit from slightly more imaginative interior design. To get best value for money, try to book on-line in advance: you will get a better deal. If your booking doesn't include breakfast (and not all deals do) please note that it comes as an expensive £11 extra: I paid £44 for bed and breakfast as of January 2008, by paying in advance.

The hotel has many great qualities but to start with a few quibbles:
    First, the water was tepid at best at all times of day. This isn't something that bothers me at all if the room is warm enough (and it was) but it is a common problem by the look of other internet complaints.

The second quibble is a bit idiosyncratic, but actually bothered me more than the lack of hot water. There wasn't anything in 2 rooms I saw that gave you any information about the hotel: nothing about breakfast/check out times/ how to ring reception; nothing about the bar/restaurant or health suite. Only a sign telling you there was no drinking water in the room. Most hotels do really nice welcome packs (some include a local map / suggestions about the area), or brief you at check in. In a building where the very empty bar and the long lonely corridors - complete with howling wind outside - can very slightly suggest 'the Shining', they need to do a bit more to make you feel at home. (There was supposed to be a hotel information site on the TV but it actually just told you about the chain of hotels, loyalty cards, discounts etc.)

Unique Quality: First of all, it couldn't be better situated for someone who has not stayed in Glasgow before - right in the centre, with excellent bus / train links and lots of good bars & restaurants nearby. I arrived just as gales were about to hit the city and, having been warned Glasgow could be rather 'windy' in January, wandered round in 90mph gusts thinking "yes, it is a bit", but not wanting to seem like a London softie by mentioning it! Good, therefore, to have a warm room to return to.

I actually saw two rooms in the hotel and both were very snug, equipped with TV, iron and hairdryer, comfy beds and clean, roomy bathrooms. The first was on the second floor (the floor with rooms for smokers); the one I moved to was on the fourth floor. I asked if I could change because the window of my room didn't open and the lower part of the window had opaque glass which made me feel claustrophobic. The staff dealt with this awkward request very well and refrained from pointing out that half of Glasgow was blowing away outside and I might not want to open a window at all. (NB: If you want a room with windows that open, ask for one on the Hope St. side, fourth floor; the views are much better too.)

The staff I met were all extremely kind and helpful, in fact, particularly when the gales disrupted my transport arrangements.

Another 'best thing' was the breakfast: buffet breakfasts can be a bit sad, but this was great. A variety of cereal, juice, really fresh fruit salad, croissant, toast and really well-cooked 'full Scottish' (bacon, eggs fried or scrambled, mushroom, tomato, fried bread, hash brown, black pudding, sausage etc).

Directions: One entrance is right on the station concourse.

• arnesk's Profile Photo

Low-class hotel

Like the name promises, the hotel has a central location. It is actually a part of the central station - on of two main trainstations in Glasgow.

So, it is a hotel, it is central, and it is Glasgow. 3 out of 4 isn't too bad? The first part, the one about quality, is the misguiding part.

We had a room at the 5th floor, and I had a feeling that the higer up, the lower class. The room didn't look clean. And it certainly could need more fixing. The carpet was partly taped and the bath had green stains.

The room was big, though. And the view was cool, you could see the trainstation from above.

The breakfast was OK. The bar was less than OK. It was strange, because it looked like they had a lot of potential rooms for breakfast and bars, but they didn't use them.

I met one of the staff just before he went to work. He was either drunkt or crazy.

We thought the breakfast was included, but it was not. And it was really expensive! 12 pounds was way too much.

Unique Quality: Amazingly long halls.

Directions: A part of the central station.

Comments