Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• weewatty's Profile Photo

Boutique-Esque Hilton Grosvenor.

For a Hilton this hotel is small scale, 90 rooms i think.

This gives it more of a unique, homely feel which is a nice break from the norm. The building is a spectacular terrace and most pleasing on the eye.

Rooms are comfy as you normally find in Hiltons, if possible ask for a room overlooking the botanic gardens.

There are loads of eating and drinking places around this hotel, just take a walk and you will soon find something you fancy.

Unique Quality: Botanic Gardens View, the hotel building itself, friendly and helpful staff.

Directions: Just head up Great Western Road from the City Centre. Near to Glasgow University, so follow signposts for there.

More about Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor

OK but nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs Carr

I stayed at the Glasgow Hilton Grosvenor for 2 nights in August. The check-in was fine and as Hilton Honours members we were offered a drink (water or whisky!) on arrival. My husband is a Silver member and I’m a Gold member but still we received no extra benefits or welcome! We were using my husband’s Hilton points and I guess therefore as not revenue customers we weren’t spending enough.

The hotel was fine, perhaps a little old-fashioned in terms of style and décor but nothing to fault. OK really by anyone’s basic standards. We were able to check-into to our room early which was nice. The main entrance is at the back of the hotel (the front looks nice) and the back is just a like a box next to as supermarket car park. There are some rather nice Hilton hotels (trendy and up-to-date) but the Grosvenor has still some improvements to make.

We had a twin room (no doubles left), the room it self was ok but we had no air-con (you cannot open the windows either) or minibar! A slight disappointment! We always like a glass of wine or a beer in the evenings. The windows were big and nice but could do with a clean.

The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean and tidy. The carpet could do with a change but all in all, our room and the hotel were ok. We didn’t eat or drink at the hotel as there are plenty of places to try on Byres Road. The West End area is nice (I liked it more than the city centre) and nearby Ashton Lane has some trendy bars and restaurants.

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member leccel

As the title suggests, very disappointing. When we booked the hotel there was a big cheesy grin on our faces - we were going to stay in the Hilton!!
The grin wasn't there for very long. For some reason our room was swapped for a disabled one, as the scribbled out room number on the front of the card showed.
The room was OK at best. The bathroom was nice and big however the shower didn't drain properly so you ended up with puddles of water on the floor in the most awkward of places. The bathroom light switch was almost at the furthest point from the bathroom door as well which made it obvious that it was a botched job so that they could say "disabled friendly".
The room amenities were not as you would expect for £115 per night. 2 tea bags and lights that didn't work. No robes either, despite being listed on the room amenities. Towels were a bit threadbare too - the Holiday Inn Express does them better! There was nothing that gave you confidence about the cleanliness either. The linolium tiled floor was dull and the cob webs in the roof suggested that deep cleaning was not on the agenda.
Breakfast, well that was an interesting one. We got a smile from a waitress and then told that it was self service. Not exactly what you would expect for £15.95 per person. The rate wasn't advertised anywhere we could see either, presumably to lure you into thinking it was included in your rate...
As stated in other reviews, there was confusion over what exactly was included in the rate. Two people checking out in front of us were adamant their rate had included breakfast but were told by the receptionist that "it is up to you to prove that you have paid for B&B". Seemed strange as all she had to do was go to the bookings computer?

Unles it was free, I don't think we will be staying in a Hilton hotel again.

Not so great

by TripAdvisor Member BoldlyGO

Work booked me in here, so it was a good rate. First impression was of darkness. 60s frontage, dark panelling inside, Stakis bits still about. The one receptionist was with someone, did not greet me, and I waited about five mins (after long trip!). Could have taken a leaf out of a Spanish hotel where I stayed recently where they gave you a cold drink while you waited! Anyway, checked in, and went to partially refurbed room. Old carpet, tatty wallpaper, view of the air vents. However, on the plus side, bed was very comfy and the bathroom good. Breakfast was average, but managed to fail the porridge test, which is not good in a Glasgow hotel! Must have been made by a Sasennach. They did however greet me warmly. The area is nice, and got a good meal down the road. So, if the refurbish it more, and make you more welcome, it could improve!

Hilton? I do not think so

by TripAdvisor Member Lammy2

Parking is just about non existent. Had to park in a shops multi story opposite (top floor) and then drag our bags all the way down to reception. If the few place available are full you are on your own. Reception staff gave me a whisky to placate me.

Room was clean but showing its age. Chipped paintwork /wallpaper.

Met friends in the West End bar where we wrote "clean me!" in the dust on the circular tables near the door.

Fell asleep waiting for room service to deliver sandwiches.

One porter was very helpfull

This is one very tired Hilton in need of a revamp or renaming "NOT HILTON"

All Change at the Hilton Grosvenor

by TripAdvisor Member GraceDEllerslie

I arrived at the Hilton Grosvenor with some apprehension after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. When I arrived at the front door of the hotel I was surprised to see scaffolding and workmen milling around. The hotel is very obviously being refurbished.

The residents' lounge has just been completed (or so I was told by the very helpful bar manageress), and looks gorgeous, very sumptuous. The lobby area and reception are being refurbished too, they were looking tired and shabby before. Now they look lovely and bright.

Service, as usual, from the staff is terrific. I much prefer the Hilton Grosvenor to the downtown hotel because the staff are much more friendly and the hotel itself is much less pretetious.

It seems like the reception is almost complete, and some of the bedrooms are being done too. I'm sure it'll make a big difference to the tired looking Grosvenor. Definitely worth a visit.

Poor tired and shabby

by TripAdvisor Member LouM76

We stayed here for one night as we were attending a function in the west end during a week night and it seemed like an efficient way of saving on a taxi fare back to Renfrewshire and subsequent trek back into town for work the next day. We therefore weren't looking to spend much time in the hotel- just a quick shower and change into evening wear on arrival before leaving for the function and a clean and confortable bed for the night on our return. Having stayed the the main Glasgow Hilton at the end of November (a wonderful experience) we were looking forward to our brief trip.

On arrival, it was clear that there is a refurbishment going on. Not only was the work noisy, it was also intrusive to the other senses as we had to walk through clouds of dust and strong paint fumes at reception. Had we known this prior to booking, we might have stayed elsewhere- this information was not volunteered however.

On the way to our room on the 3rd floor, we took in the tired decor, the peeling wallpaper, the slightly fusty smell and the gouges in the plasterboard walls which errant pieces of luggage have no doubt invaded over the years. It was all just so sad looking.

On arrival at our room (which was one of the upgraded deluxe rooms with the playstation), my husband was irked to note that not only was it a playstation 1 (a very old model I believe!) but that there was an additional charge for using it- so why market the more expensive room as the 'playstation room' if that cost isn't built into the already inflated room rate? A small point, but an annoying one nonetheless. My husband instead opted to watch TV whilst I got ready for the evening.

The bathroom, although large and smart, was not very functional. The shower pressure was weak, the water did not get properly hot and further the knob came off in my hand! The non-slip surface of the bath was, frankly, rather slippy. On attempting to dry my hair, I noted that there was no hairdryer in the room, although reception promptly sent one up when called.

Bizarrely for a superior room, there was no mini-bar. I just found this odd, although I suspect my husband was relieved!

As we had hoped, the room was quite large and the bed was large and comfortable. However, at the separate sitting area, we were disturbed to notice some very troubling stains on the upholstery of the sofa and armchair. Being a family website, I won't specualate as to the provenance of these stains, but whatever it was, it was vile, it was not recent and it should have been patently obvious to housekeeping staff that it was not appropriate for this upholstery to remain in the room.

All in all, a very shabby effort (and not a cheap one!) We have written our letter of complaint and I shall update this post when we receive a response. In the meantime, I suspect that next time we'll just take our chances with the taxi.

not for toddlers

by TripAdvisor Member ollys

After a change of plan we took our 2 year old to Glasgow for the weekend, we were informed a toddler bed/camp bed could not be put in a standard double room and we would have to upgrade to a "family room" (at a cost of £60). The Hilton off a "babysitting service" so we tried to book a babysitter with 7 days notice - no one available, so changed plans and arranged to meet friend for dinner in the hotel as we were assured they had a "baby listening service". We arrived at 8.30 on Friday night and waited 45mins for food in the restaurant, it eventually arrived with a "be careful the plates are hot" - not something to explain to a tired hungry toddler. The next morning we realised our family room was infect a smoking room (and since the welcome smoking ban in Scotland, it was very smelly and smoky from previous occupants). No-where to feed a child at 5 o'clock as the restaurant wasn't open and wedding reception in the terrace bar, so room service at a silly price. Baby listening service turned out to not exist "health and safety reasons", restaurant reservation was forgotten, and we were given the wrong bill when we checked out...all in all RUBBISH

Comments