165 West Nile Street, Glasgow, G1 2RL, United Kingdom

Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 12% higher but also costs 33% more than other 3 star hotels

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Nice and central

The Holiday Inn Express provided us with all the basics for a great stay in Glasgow. The hotel is situated ideally for city centre shopping and close to Glasgow's theatres. During our stay, there was quite extensive roadworks going on outside, but we were not disrupted by this. It also worth knowing that the subway goes right under the hotel and you can feel the vibrations from this in your room. It was by no means disruptive to our stay though and definitely didn't keep us awake.
    The breakfast supplied was of a good standard with a range of cereals, hot food, fruit, yoghurt and toast. There was also a good choice of hot drinks and juices. Nothing extravagant, but it set us up for the day. Staff were pleasant and professional.
    If I returned to Glasgow for a night or two, I would probably stay at the Holiday Inn Express again. If I stayed any longer though, I'd choose somewhere less no-frills.

Unique Quality: We arrived to check in a few hours early, hoping to stow our bags to check in later. While we were stowing our bags away, the girl on reception informed us that a room was available straightaway. We really appreciated this as it allowed us to settle in early and spend more time exploring the city.

Directions: 5 minutes walk from Queen Street Station.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn

Just what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn, great location, just around the corner from Buchanan St.
    An adequate breakfast included in the price. Book early on the website for best prices.

More about Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland

Nothing Fancy

by hoofhearted about Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport (Glasgow PA3 2TR)

This was a quick diversion, comliments of British Airways. We were not scheduled to stay overnight in Glasgow, but our emergency landing forced a stay. The hotel and staff were pleasant, restaurant food was quite good and we got a chance to see a Scottish wedding party (in full kilt!). This hotel was also within walking distance to a main thouroughfare for other eating and drinking options.

Across from the terminal

by MrAviator2u about Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport

Excellent stay with a great stay. They have real beds. The food was descent. Walk to the terminal literary

Below standards expected for Holiday Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Pinky_and_Brain

Before mentioning anything else it should be noted that at the top of West Nile Street in Glasgow there are 2 Holiday Inn hotels right next to each other and with almost the same exact name.

-The 1st is called "Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre-Theatreland"

-The 2nd is called "EXPRESS BY Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre - Theatreland"

The difference is very important to note when booking to make sure which place you're staying at, as they vary greatly in standards. I've notice that more than a few reviewers on tripadvisor have got the 2 properties mixed up and posted reviews under the wrong name.

My review is for the EXPRESS hotel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Positive aspects (there aren't many...)

1.) Location

-One minute's walk to the main Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station (There you can get cheap buses/coaches to the airport, to Edinburgh, all of Scotland and down to England and Wales if you want...)
-one minute's walk to the Buchanan Galleries shopping mall and a huge 10 to 15 storey multiplex cinema is also nearby.
-Central Glasgow is within walking distance
-The walk to the train station is about 10-15 minutes (if your coming from the train station be aware that it's uphill!)

2.) Breakfast
-Breakfast is free (however it's only continental so no warm food and coffee and juices are dispensed from a machine).

3.) TV, small work-desk, hairdryer, tea and coffee-making facilities all in room and reception can provide you with toothpaste, toothbrush, etc if you forgot your own. (Not much is supplied in the bathroom).

Negative aspects

1.) (Poor) Reception
-Despite being pretty quick and efficient, I got no hello, good afternoon, welcome, use of my surname or even a smile from any of the receptionists on duty during my WHOLE stay. There was loud radio music and commentary playing at reception which didn’t help either. Staff looked a bit untidy in appearance.

2.) Lack of Privacy and Data protection
-Reception has a single sheet of paper with a list of guest names and number of nights booked to be signed when checking in. Everyone can see the full list of names and nights stayed.

3.) Luggage security
-When I asked for a place to leave my luggage I was simply told to put it a room near reception. No receipt, no lock…anyone could go in there and take whatever they wanted. Also, when I opened the door a spare ironing board fell on me. (However 2 days later I noticed that they were suddenly locking the room and giving receipts for checked luggage so maybe someone complained.)

4.) Noise
-Having read other reviewer's concern's I asked for a room on one of the higher floors towards the back of the hotel. This request was granted but it wasn't much help since at the back of the hotel there is a massive generator / air conditioner which makes noise all day long. Added to that the rubbish collection is also noisy especially when loading thousands of empty glass bottles!

5.) Room size
-Everything is small ! The room size, the bathroom sink, the television screen, the window, the double bed (which is more like a queen or king single). I had trouble getting my luggage into the room because the entrance area had a shelf /bookcase-like structure put on the wall in the narrowest part of the room.

6.) Room features
- There are no electrical sockets near any of the mirrors, no bath (just a shower) and no in-room safe. Internet access is only available if you have a laptop with a wireless connection and cost £ 3 for 20 minutes. The décor is bare minimum and is dirt cheap. The curtains at the window are made of plastic and the bed, mattress, duvet and sheets all look like they are the cheapest you can possibly get. One of the pillows on the bed was slightly stained…

7.) Check Out
-Check out is at 11.00 ! Fire alarm is tested for a few seconds shortly after 11.00 to make sure you wake up ! If you're a priority club member make sure you ask for your late check out if you want/need to stay a bit longer. Even if they do give you a late check out they still might phone you at 11am asking when you're leaving.

8.) Price
-Rates for this place can reach £100 per night (even for the simplest rooms) on the official hotel website which is totally outrageous!
However during my stay I paid about £60 per night and even this seemed excessive considering the low standards. I’ve been in much more decent hotels in Paris, Berlin and Brussels for less money than that !

Other notes worth mentioning:

-The lift/elevator only works if you have you're room key. Good for security, but the doors for the stairs are still open.

-Electricity in the room only works if you insert your key at the entrance of your room and leave it there.

-Television had 9 channels (all british)

Result:

Having stayed in "Express" properties from holiday inn before AND also having read the reviews posted here prior to booking I wasn't too worried about staying here.
Despite knowing that this was a "budget, minimalist" accommodation, I was surprised to learn how even hotels which are part of the same chain, can vary greatly in standards and quality from country to country.

This place left me quite disappointed.
I still felt it fell well short of the standard I have come to expect from the Holiday Inn chain and it had too many negative aspects for my liking. If I return to Glasgow I will NOT be staying at the Express.

Fabulous value for money

by TripAdvisor Member UkScottish_Traveller

My daughter and I had a 7 night stay and requested a quiet room at the back based on reviews that we had read and taken on board. Everything went to plan and the staff were always on hand to deal with any enquiries. Staff were always polite, cheerful and friendly. The complimentary breakfast was superb and more than adequate. The dining room staff kept everything replenished and cleaned up after guests immediately after they left to leave a clear table. We were so impressed that we have booked up again for this year. We have even managed to get an excellent deal by keeping our eyes on the 'net' and national papers.

A good value city centre hotel

by TripAdvisor Member emma9

I booked a one night stay at this hotel via the Holiday Inn website. Booking was straight forward - 4 people, 2 rooms for 1 night. Cost worked out at £65 per room including breakfast which seemed very reasonable for a hotel right in the centre of Glasgow.
Checking in was very easy - they had everything ready and we were allocated 2 rooms next door to each other, which is what I'd requested when booking. The hotel is secure with the lifts and stairwells only being accessed by using your room keycards.
The rooms were clean and are of an ok size for 2 people. We had twin beds, a wardrobe, tv with some satalite channels, a desk etc. The bathroom is small, we didn't have a bath but the shower was very good. We were in rooms 142 & 146 which were at the back of the hotel so very quite, although beware that the breakfast room is on the 1st floor and some of the bedrooms are very close to it so I guess that could be quite noisy early morning. I would recommend reqesting a room not facing onto the main road as it seemed like it would be quite noisy due to the constant flow of people and traffic.
The hotel is central, a 2 min walk from Renfrew St and Sauchiehall St where all the main shops are, and right next door to the main Theatre. The self service continental breakfast was fairly good with a decent selection. Overall we couldn't complain!

Excellent choice in Glasgow City Centre

by TripAdvisor Member Invernesstraveller

After having mixed experiences of staying in (some very expensive) hotels in Glasgow, I can thoroughly recommend the Holiday Inn Express - Theatreland.

The hotel was very clean and well maintained; quiet for its city centre location (near to Buchanan Galleries, Concert Hall, etc.); the staff were friendly and helpful; and breakfast more than sufficient for those who are not looking for the 'full monty' - fruit, yoghurts, rolls, croissants and toast, juices and large range of teas and coffees.

Excellent value!

Great Value for money and very central

by TripAdvisor Member bear2428

After looking at many very expensive hotels in Glasgow all we really needed was a bed for the night we stubbled across this little gem whilst surfing the internet and what value for money you get. We booked the Leisure break 2 nights B & B and to be honest I would challenge you to find better.
Centrally located very clean not the biggest of rooms but the best shower I've had in a hotel for a long time. The staff are very helpful and the breakfast is great to set you up until lunch.
Overall excellant

great location

by TripAdvisor Member Tinkerbell1987

My boyfriend & I spent an over-night at the Express Inn recently and found it to be a lovely hotel.
On arrival there is helpful staff to greet you and there is a small bar area next to reception which is open late if you want a little drink!
The room is nothing fancy, just your basic needs, the room was tidy and a good size. The only fault I had with the room was the shower in the bathroom, we couldnt get it to sit in a good position, it kept falling down to one side, therefore I had to hold the showerhead whilst washing.
Other than that everything else was great about the hotel, it's in a superb location if you are up to Glasgow for a shopping/ clubbing weekend etc then the Express Inn is a fantastic and (probably) one of the cheapest options in the City centre!
There's an Italian restaraunt right next door also which takes deliveries to your room, which is also another positive aspect about the hotel!!
The only thing I must point out (especially to travellers from abroad), we got confused and walked into the "holiday inn" which is practically right next door, the man behind the reception kindly pointed out "express by holiday inn" was around the corner. so dont make the same mistake as us!!
Definately recommend to young clubbers as it is right around the corner to Sauchiehall Street where a lot of great clubs are situated!

ten out of ten

by TripAdvisor Member i_hate_venice

havent much to say really except i really really enjoyed my stay in the Holiday Inn Theatreland, staff were brilliant , very friendly and helpful, rooms were birlliant, large and clean what more could you ask for, security was brilliant you need an electronic key card to access the lifts etc and to enter the hotel late at night, the breakfast was very good for a contental breakfast good selection, they let us use there luggage room for as long as we liked and had no problem with us hanging round the hotel long after our check out, anything we asked for they had no problem in helping us out, eg, looking for brollies for us, giveing us complementary toiletries, etc etc etc, very good alltogether, another point, the people in Glasgow are deffinatly the most frendly, talkative and helpful people i have ever came across, would definatly reccomend the trip to anyone, we fly with ryanair through PIK and there was no hassel the train is brilliant and realiable,

Comments