Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City-Riverside

Expedia.com IHG Booking.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Hosell's Profile Photo

Great place at City Center

The Express By Holiday Inn Riverside hotel it a very nice place to stay.It is a three star hotel and have all kind of facilities,the hotel staff are very nice and friendly and the breakfast buffet just great!!.

Unique Quality: This is a new hotel in the city because it was built in 1.999.The rooms are comfortable and spacious.But i think that the best qualitie of this hotel is its location,it is located in the riverside and just behind the hotel is the St. Enoch Shopping center,also one of the Glasgow shopping areas is just two minutes from the hotel and George Square that is the city center a short walk of 8 ten minutes.
    Also the Central Trains Station is just next to the hotel and Queen Station and Buchanan Bus station only a 10 minutes walk from the hotel.
    Also the nice park Glasgow Green is very close.
    As you can see,everything is close to the hotel,and also the river!!!!

Directions: It is located just next to St. Enoch Shopping Centre and the riverside.

More about Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City-Riverside

Good location for city attractions

by TripAdvisor Member trickychicane

We booked this hotel only a few hours before pitching up, deciding on the spur of the moment to spend the night in Glasgow.

Although the immediate area the hotel is in is slightly run-down, we were pleased to find that the city centre was a two-minute walk away, and that our room overlooked the river.

The building is modern in style but none the worse for this. Our room was of a fair size and adequately furnished. The shower room was spacious enough for the two of us, with a good-sized shower unit and toilet which you could separate from the rest of the shower room by swinging the room door fully open on its hinges.

The breakfast was continental self-service and rather like a canteen but - so far as I could tell - you could take as many refills/seconds as you wanted.

Parking was in the surrounding NCP carparks, a short walk from the hotel itself.

A big plus for us was that the Holiday Inn Express chain allows pets, and so our dog didn't have to sleep in the car!

Glasgow is a great city of grandiose style and we only wish we'd had more time to look around.

Stayed here before but ....STANDARDS SLIPPING

by TripAdvisor Member Footballtourist

I had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Stockwell St before, and thought it was .. . .. OK Put it this way, if you can tolerate eating at McDonalds or BK occasionally, then you could reasonably endure a short stay here. I am a regular visitor to Glasgow for both business and sporting occasions. The location is it's best attribute for me. On previous visits, my room was on the quieter side of the hotel, away from the busy street outside. Believe me, it comes alive at 06.00 am!
I stayed at this hotel in October 2006 and to be perfectly honest, I was very thoroughly disappointed with the room I was allocated.
For a start, it was bitterly cold, it was raining heavily outside so I was quite wet when I arrived. There was a rather cheap looking electric convection heater on the wall and it didn't work no matter what setting I tried. The desk was very busy due to a big football game in town, and complaining was a wasteof time as all rooms were sold out. To make matters sworse, the room was very noisy due to the rain hammering on the window, the double glazing was of a very poor standard (a window handle was laying on the window sill when I tried to close the window tight, and in the morning, the traffic noise was simply unbearable for me, a country boy! At 6.00 am the din of buses outside was unbelievable - I might as well have hunkered down for the night in a bus shelter. The cold buffet breakfast is not very appetising either. Very disappointed indeed, and I won't be back!

Good value, good location...

by TripAdvisor Member blover

Not stayed in a hotel from this chain before and was very pleased with the experience. Staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and well laid out and the bathroom was well lit and a good size. The breakfast was only a continental buffet but the choice was good and the rolls and croissants excellent.
The hotel is situated by the river on the edge of the city, but everything is within walking distance. A taxi to the airport from the hotel was £17 but the airport bus is only £3.30 single fare.
We really enjoyed our first visit to Glasgow and hope to do it again sometime, everyone was so friendly and the choice of shops and restaurants is vast.
We discovered a lovely Italian restaurant newly opened, very good food reasonably priced and lovely decor, 'Qua' on Ingram Street, well worth a visit. As is the Princes Street shopping centre, such a lovely building and with its christmas tree in the centre even more stunning.
As a weekend break Glasgow more than pleased us and the Express Riverside would be our choice again.

Absolutely Disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member alanna84

My two friends and I arrived at the hotel on Wednesday 27th December for some light shopping and a browse around the nightlife. We found the room bare but satisfactory until the very rude young gentleman who worked on the reception walked in to our room and asked us to keep the noise down as we were talking too loud. We agreed this but were extremely annoyed to find we had been situated next to a family with young children next door and weren't allowed to speak above a certain level, we actually found ourselves whispering. However, 20 minutes later another gentleman who called himself a manager but did in no way act managerial, demanded we pack our bags and leave. I tried to negotiate with him & even offered we would leave the hotel and return quietly later on but he refused point blank to compromise. I was absolutely disgusted by this attitude and found myself (22 years old) and my two friends (19years old) homeless in Glasgow City Centre. We walked the streets until 430am until we found another hotel where we had to pay £30 each and had absolutely no problems with the Hotel who were extremely accommodating (The Holiday Inn). I would never recommend The Holiday Inn Express to anyone and would strongly advise anyone staying there to ensure they aren't planning on staying awake passed 10pm. Attitudes of staff were thoroughly appalling & did not even care that 3 young vulnerable girls were homeless and could have been raped and murdered. I will never be back.

Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member DSSKEM

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Glasgow Riverside from Jan -17-21. Our room was pre-booked and was ready upon our arrival. We had the largest room in the hotel on the 5th floor. The rooms view look out to the River Clyde, very nice. The hotel is located at Stockwell st and Clyde. Great location and short 5 min walk to Argyle St / Subway and Central Train Station. 25 min walk to Celtic Park.

Pub's on every corner and in-between the hotel area.

Paid 59 GBP per night (pre-booked fully refundable if cancelled)

Room was clean and good size. The bathroom was a bit small but had hot water and extra towels.

The hotel staff was excellent and very very helpful. The hotel Pub stays open until 3 am.

The complementary breakfast in the morning is also very good and included in the room price.

Would stay here again, since the price is good and the location is excellent.

Fresh, Clean and Excellent value !

by TripAdvisor Member Galwayboy

Stayed here on a friday & saturday night. Rooms very clean with a "new" feel to everything. Breakfast a bit of a melee at certain times but lounge is cosy and relaxed.

Close to shopping and centre and excellent value. Only niggle was not being able to open windows at all but everything else was excellent. Fully recommened !

Great Location for Centre & Shops

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingScot

This was a family trip to visit some of Glasgow's wonderful museums. We arrived by train to Queen Street Station, and the hotel is less than 10 minutes walk away. We thought we'd go straight there and see if we could drop our bags off at reception (this was approx. 12.30 lunch time), so we were pleasantly surprised to be told our room was ready.

We dropped the bags and set off for the museums - No. 62 bus just around the corner takes you directly to Kelvingrove (wonderful, fantastic place) and Museum of Transport (much better than we expected) and both free! The hotel is quite close to the main shopping area/malls, stations, a wide choice of restaurants, the Gallery of Modern Art and George Square, so although it doesn't have it's own restaurant there were plenty of places to go.

The area is obviously undergoing some redevelopment and some buildings look a bit run down - it's right beside "Glasgow's Oldest Pub" (and it looked it) - but we didn't feel unsafe at all. The actual location of the hotel is beside a busy road junction/ intersection by a bridge over the River Clyde, this does make for some traffic noise. We were staying there on a Sunday night, and I found the road to be quite noisy until well after midnight so a Friday or Saturday could be a lot worse! I wasn't aware of any noise from other rooms, so we were either lucky to have quiet neighbours or the soundproofing is good.

The room itself was basic Holiday Inn Express - clean and bright - fine for a night or two, but no more than that when your party consists of 2 adults + 2 children. One double bed and one (proper sized) double sofa bed. We only had one pillow each and we all prefer two, but our request for extras was quickly provided. There were ample towels for four.

Free continental breakfast is buffet-style, which is great for a family of fussy eaters. There is a bar but we didn't use it. There was also coin-op video games, internet access, newspapers and an ice-machine on the ground floor beside the lifts/stairs.

We would use this hotel again if we were on a short visit to Glasgow again, but only if we were travelling by train - I think car parking is very limited.

Excellent stay!

by TripAdvisor Member kirkou

Very nice hotel. Everything was very good. Clean, tasteful rooms, friendly staff, very good location and all for a very good price. The breakfast is also very good. Not much, but contains all the basics and you can have as much as you like, so it gives a good start for the day. Definitely recommended it –this and any other “Holiday Inn” hotel.

Holiday out, give this one a miss

by TripAdvisor Member spirit570

This hotel was really poor. The bedroom was on the fourth floor and the airconditioning was nonexistent. The bedding was old and marked. The room was hot and stuffy and when opening the windows the sound of the traffic could be heard over the T.V. and was constant day and night. The parking facilities were down the road in a pay and display that was full of broken glass and beggars at the pay meters.

At breakfast the 'do it yourself' style would have been fine but the toaster only worked on one side and the staff were rude. Before I had taken the slice of bread out of the bread bin it was being slammed shut and the bread was the cheapest white there was.

All in all this is one to avoid and it has marred my view of Glasgow and I won't be visiting again Disappointed!

Comments