161 West Nile Street, Glasgow, G1 2RL, United Kingdom

IHG Expedia.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Over priced by my standards

I stayed here one night a few years ago - managed to haggle the price down to 40 pounds, bed only, or 50 pounds with breakfast. couldn't see the point in paying 10 pounds when in the centre of the city, so 40 it was.

Room was good, clean and first impression was "nice one". then discovered the usual downsides - bed covers fell off in the night and was impossible to sleep - bed too short for me.

Street noise was the price for an open window. I had some drunks crashing down the corridor in the early hours (A stag party - hence my cheap room!!! Grrr) and then I discovered the room walls are not very sound proof.

Unique Quality: It was the usual hotel experience - bland, disappointing and left me scratching my head - what am I paying for when I don't drink so don't need a late night bar or room service.

I left deciding I should open an hotel - easy money -

And why are all the hotels the same - so lacking in local character.

the location for this hotel was bad - in a seedy area of town - not one to walk round at night. Alarming how many drug addicts and prostitutes I saw from my bedroom window. This was two years back, maybe its better. Yeah, maybe.

More about Holiday Inn Glasgow City Centre Theatreland

Top Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Honky-TonkBojangles

I go to Glasgow most months as the shops and bars are second to none. Over the years, I've stayed in all of Glasgow's main hotels and this has to be my favourite. The first time I stayed in the normal room for £59, which was decorated nicely, although a little small. Since then I have always booked the Penthouse suite for anything between £120 and £160 per night, which I would definitely recommend. They are tastefully done and a lot more spacious, with a living room. Being 25, the playstation 2 went down well too. As with nearly all Glasgwegians I have met, the staff are fantastic and ridiculously friendly. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast, the sausages were just what I needed after a night on the drink. Going again for 3 nights this Friday. Can hardly wait

Absolutely, totally brilliant, perfect for that city break

by TripAdvisor Member gremlinuk

Having stayed at the Holiday Inn Express next door to this one, we decided to go one up and booked two nights in the Degar Suite (One of the penthouse suites) at the Holiday Inn theatreland.

There were two rooms - A sitting room / lounge with flat screen TV, nice big sofas and standalone lamps for softer light. There was a Playstation 2 with games, drinks cabinet with complementary brandy as advertised, the only gripe being that there was only a little in the bottle (See photos), when we booked the suite oposite for my mother in law the second night, we noticed her bottle was also almost empty - This only leads me to the conclusion that the bottles were deliberately kept at minimum to avoid the guzzlers!

The bedroom was clean and well presented, just like the website and brochures showed. The bed was REALLY comfortable, firm but bouncy if you fancy jumping on beds. The duvet was clean and new. There was a big TV with standalone surround sound speakers and nice standalone stereo unit for ambient sound or movie sound effects.

The bathroom was again very modern yet classic, with jacuzzi bath, separate shower nice mirror above the sink and bath robes on the back of the bathroom door. The robes were not at all soft, so should have been washed with fabric softener, the shower unit was too small so if you bent down to pick up something dropped it proved hard to reach it, possibly the units should be extended toward the WC to allow more space in the units. The bottom of the bath required regrouting and realligning between the tiles, these looked like they would fall off at any moment.

The food was great, really great compared to the holiday inn at Edinburgh zoo which was diabolical truly. The fresh orange was nice and cool, not watered down at all and had bits in it. The bacon was well cooked and there was plenty to go around. The hotel itself was nice and clean, the staff excellent.

On the second night, our baby boy had a problem and we had to call for an ambulance for him (He is recovering well now), the manager and staff were excellent, very understanding and helpful, i cannot praise them enough.

This hotel is well recommended, both for leisure, business and holidays.

Lovely Suite

by TripAdvisor Member dimar

Friendly staff and lovely penthouse suite. Only problem was noise during the night, constant sirens...... ambulance, fire engines etc!!

Ideal situation for shopping.

Meals first class. Would def. stay there again.

Prime location: overall a good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jdboyd

Stayed here for two nights. one of which had inclusive dinner. Restaurant was very good indeed, so much so that we ate there again on second night.
The central location could hardly be bettered and breakfasts were fine too; lift requiring room keycard was a good security measure no doubt but somewhat tiresome and automatic cancellation of card at checkout time wasn't appreciated when stranded in lift. Bathroom was rather too bijou although well-appointed. Many staff [especially housekeeping] seemed Polish etc. and front-of-house staff were fine if not posessed of the sunniest dispositions. Bed and bedroom fine but king bed would have been better.

Be very aware

by TripAdvisor Member THEVIKING100

Stayed just one night in this Holiday Inn on a business trip - what a disaster- The first room's carpet was beyond belief. Heavily stained and very warn. I refused this offering and got another room which way OK until getting into bed to find that the bed linen had not been changed. The manager confirmed this and they were changed immediately. Not the sort of hassle you need. The staff were very good and sorted this out but it really should not be that bad.

GREAT!

by TripAdvisor Member jd.nichols

This hotel was in a great location - just a skip and a jump from the Buchanan bus station. 5 minute walk to to Buchanan Street Subway Station. 10 minute walk to Queen Train Station and George Square. 15 minute walk to the Central Train Station. Close to TONS of shopping. A huge Cineworld is located on the opposite corner which is good to take in a movie. The hotel itself was clean and neat. The staff was nice and friendly. Very helpful when needed. Beds were comfy enough for a couple nights. Bathroom was clean. Nice restarant downstairs too. I think the only bad thing I can say about my stay is that the street noise can be a litte loud - but it wasn't too bad. After staying in San Fran, CA and listening to the traffic ALL hours of the night....this place was much better!

I WILL GO BACK!!!

Extremely bad

by TripAdvisor Member green22scotland

The Hotel is in a great location, but the standard of the Hotel is extremely bad, was checked into a standard ensuite double, the room was stinking of stale cigarrette smoke, the bed sheets had cigarrette burns & looked as if they had not been washed for awhile & the carpet was covered in stains. Wen't to reception to complain, told there was no other rooms available, unless I was willing to pay to upgrade to a suite. Finally after about 1hour the manager found another room, this wasn't much better there was blood stains on the bed cover, the manager came up to the room & took the cover away & said it would be replaced, it was never replaced throughout our stay, there was also stains on the carpet & a problem with the bathroom door.
On departure I filled out there comment card with our complaints, but never heard back from them.
I stay in Glasgow allot usally with Marriot or Langs but they were full. I work in the hospitality industry & would never recommend it to anyone looking for a quality Hotel in Glasgow.

Wonderful Staff and Sevice

by TripAdvisor Member 0xMx0

Excellent loction in the city centre.

Very friendly staff especially at Reception. Helpful and enrolled me in a reward scheme, all I had to do was sign, unlike other hotels.

Restaurant food top notch!!! Unlike other Holiday Inns I have stayed in.

Decor morden and well maintained. Rooms could be a bit larger though.

I would definitely recommend this exquisite Hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Tuindorp

Great location, with all shopping, entertainment ,transport links nearby within short walking distance. Parking across the road in the Multi storey car park, very reasonable price.
Staff were superb, we were upgraded from a junior suite to Penthouse ,which was superb with a living room area , lovely bathroom and separate bed room area.

Nice bar, and restaurant , and the whole Hotel was spotless and efficient. Wish staff were like this in every Hotel--well done.
We loved it as it was a special weekend. Would recommend it to any traveller wishing to see Glasgow.

Comments