Kelvingrove Hotel Glasgow

Hotels.com Agoda.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Jockswife's Profile Photo

Excellent family run hotel

Husband and I spent 2 nights in this hotel. The room and en-suite were spotless, very tastefully decorated , and the staff extremely friendly and helpful with any query we had.
    We were able to stay in touch with family in Australia by using their PC.

The night we arrived, [after a very long flight ], they had tradesmen woking until late.
    when asked if we slept well, I mentioned that there was some noise [ from the workmen] the manager deducted 30 pounds off our account!
    Breakfast was delicious, one small criticism was that the dining room was rather cramped.
    I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Directions: Close to Glasgow city centre

More about Kelvingrove Hotel Glasgow

tis my glasgow home!

I stayed in the Kelvingrove hotel twice in March for university interviews. On both stays, the staff were all absolutely friendly and very helpful. As I was away on my own for nervewracking auditions and interviews, it was wonderful having people taking an interest and wishing me luck.

The hotel itself is a bit of a walk from Queen street station, but not too far and not much by taxi. On my first visit my room was down a flight of stairs, and on the 2nd it was down same flight of stairs and up another - not a problem for me & help was offered with my luggage, but this might be a problem for anyone with mobility problems. Both rooms were lovely, comfortable and clean, and quiet. Good showers, and plenty of variable lighting. The dining room is beautiful and they make a wonderful breakfast.

I will definitely stay here again if I am on holiday in glasgow again!

Great Hotel well located!!

I’ve used this hotel a number of times now and have found the staff and standard of the rooms to be consistently excellent. This married to the location, just outside of the city centre but within an easy 10-15 minute stroll of the shops, makes it a great place to stay. The breakfast in the morning was well cooked and offered tasty traditional fare with a friendly service. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

Thoroughly recommended and great value for money.

Very friendly, clean and good rates

I was surprised, given that the hotel rates are fairly cheap, at how good the place was. This small family run hotel was very clean and everyone there was so friendly and helpful - you could not fault the service. The rooms weren't huge but, as I said, were very clean and provided everything I expected, including a hairdryer, telly, tea and coffee. There is a reasonable choice for breakfast (porridge, cereal, fruit, cooked etc) and everything is made promptly on order. Location was good with the city centre a 15-20 walk away. Kelvingrove park and nice restaurants and corner shops were much closer. Parking, on meter by day, was just outside the front door.

Very friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Alex Runner

Pro: very friendly and helpful staff (although the booking for my taxi to the airport somehow was screwed up). Clean rooms and great central heating. Convenient for Kelvingrove Museums and Glasgow University.

Con: not very convenient for the main shopping and business districts or the railway stations (about a 30 minute walk). Pathetic "power" shower, but that seems typical of small hotels and B&Bs in Britain.

Overall: I would definitely stay again.

Glasgow Secret

by TripAdvisor Member John-the-rocket

Staying only for 1 night on business we found the hotel to be about the cleanest, most friendly and excellent value hotel. The room was smart, very comfortable beds, tea, hair dryer and telly, all we needed. Breakfast was freshly cooked and a good choice.
Pubs and restaurants nearby (Mother of India - first rate for curry!)

We'll be back!

Great Value

Enjoyed a great weekend break in Glasgow and stayed at the Kelvingrove. The Hotel is really well located, a two minute taxi ride from the City Centre, or a 10 minute stroll. We booked the hotel online after reading the reviews which swayed us to go for this hotel. We were very pleased with the accommodation, and the staff were very friendly and helpful in organising taxis and recommended a great Italian Restaurant. Will definitely return to the Kelvingrove on my next visit to Glasgow.

STAY HERE BUT NOT IN ROOM 11

by TripAdvisor Member LoueyLoueyNorwich

This is a lovely B and B, family run, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The only thing we would say is not to stay in Room 11 which gets rather noisy on a Saturday night, as it is right above the lobby.

Not recommended

The hotel was ok. The breakfast was quite nice and the rooms are clean. The manageress is very annoying, extremely nosy and bossy. They got our booking wrong. The rest of the staff were good though. I wouldn't stay there again.

Overrated

by TripAdvisor Member Hoodster

A group of six of us stayed here on Easter weekend (14 - 16 April 2006), booking after reading the recommendations on this site. My boyfriend and I were allocated Room 2 on arrival (double room). It was pokey and old fashioned, with an obviously recently added bathroom (fairly badly finished), with a tiny basin and a toilet which is so close to the wall you have to sit sideways on it. There was one small wardrobe with only 5 hangers for two people. I hadn't brought my own hairdryer as the hotel's website stated there were dryers in each room. Although there was one, it was hardly worth having it was so powerless. Room 2 is also right beside the kitchen of the hotel and as such we heard all the staff arriving and preparing the breakfasts from about 6am.

In fairness, when I asked the following morning about moving to another room, we were moved without a problem and we were allocated Room 11, which was larger, brighter and more comfortable (although still with not much room to manoeuvre). Unlike a previous review we didn't hear too much noise from the lobby, but maybe we were lucky (or they were unlucky).

Our friends were in Rooms 9 and 15 and these were of a similar standard to 11. The staff were friendly and happily ordered us taxis and recommended restaurants to other visitors.

We had other friends staying in the Radisson SAS beside Central Station and it was galling to know that they were paying only £10 extra each per night and had large, bright airy rooms, with plenty of space, great bathroom and all the trimmings (mini bar, iron, ironing board, robes).

I wouldn't stay at the Kelvingrove again and would not recommend it to friends. This experience has also made me wary of the reviews on Tripadvisor (but I suppose it's all relative!).

Comments