Malmaison Glasgow

Hotels.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

boutique

One of the first of the boutique hotel genre in Glasgow, opened in the mid 90s.

When I worked in Glasgow at that time, my office was just around the corner. The brasserie was an occasional lunch venue.

I stayed overnight for the first time in September 13 - attending a wedding at another city centre hotel.

Very happy with it all in terms of price, comfort and convenience. £143 (inc vat & continental breakfast) for 2.

The only negative is car parking. Outside on the street it was £0.60p for 12 minutes between 8am and 6pm, Monday > Saturday. Very pricey, but the hotel's alternative offering was about £11 per day.

Unique Quality: The decor - boutique.

Directions: About 15 minutes walk from Queen Street Station, due west.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Malmasion Hotel

I ended up at this hotel by default because my original hotel cancelled my reservations when they decided to close on Christmas Eve. Without telling me, they booked me into this one. I was not very happy about this so I arrived at this hotel in a very sour mood. The mood lifted, however, as soon as I entered the lobby. I read that the hotel used to be a church and the lobby definitely reminded me of a cathedral. The decorations were very modern and new age and from the minute I entered my room I let out a sigh of relief.

Unique Quality: I loved the bathtub in this hotel, along with the shower. It was very roomy and deep and the towel warmer was just an extra amenity that made the bathing experience great. The beds were comfortable and the pillows just the right consistency. I loved the gym and the onsite restaurant-definitely not the average hotel fare food. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at ease. (By the way, their room service prices were unreal-and I mean that in a good way.)

Directions: A short walk to the Sauchiehall shopping district and many restaurants on Bath Street.

More about Malmaison Glasgow

Comfortable hotel, a few minus points

by TripAdvisor Member UKTAdvisor

Stayed here last month for 3 nights. My room was located in the old 'church' part of the building. It was quite small, very dark (you needed all the lights on) but well appointed and very clean. The bathroom was a bit small as well. Unfortunately my first night's sleep was disturbed by my next door neighbour deciding to have a party at 4am which didn't particularly go down well....

The first evening I called reception to ask what time breakfast ended and was told 11am. So when I went to breakfast the following day at 1030am I was rather disappointed when the serving staff told me that they had finished breakfast at 10am! The following day I made it at 0930am and enjoyed an excellent Scottish breakfast which was freshly prepared rather than as part of a hot buffet.

In conclusion I'm not put off trying another of the Malmaison hotels but i'd probably not return and stay at the Malmaison Glasgow again.

Great for business in Glasgow

by TripAdvisor Member Navigator10

If you are visiting Glasgow and have business in the west-central district (full of office buildings), this is the place to stay. It is a contempory, luxury boutique hotel similar in price and style to a Park Hyatt. About three blocks away is a Holiday Inn. Let the sales staff stay there. The CEO and sales manager stays here to impress and get some privacy.
The second floor room I had wasn't huge, but wasn't small either. Nice for one or two adults.
The bath was a bit small. Little counter space. Nice scented toiletries and a large showerhead (see my photo).

Right now, forget the hotel restuarant. The menu needs work. I had great dinners at Ragano's and Ho Wong (Chinese). Both long established restaurants several blocks away. A short cab ride or a bit of a walk.

I would recommend this hotel for it's weekend rate. Good style for honeymooners. It deserves it's top ranking.

Nice bar - Shabby room

by TripAdvisor Member urbantravelrating

I had been expecting a good standard of accommodation given the pricing of this hotel, however the room given was pretty shabby and in dire need of a refit - chipped paintwork, stains on the carpet, bathroom decor had seen better days. Really disappointing. On the upside the breakfasts were excellent and the bar were nicely designed. Malmaison seem to be resting on their brand name rather than delivering on their promise with this hotel.

Good but lacking in some areas

Stayed here during a stag do and all in all it was very well presented but there were some nigles that put us off. One of the rooms was SO hot that the two lads sharing ended up in the foyer/bar most of the night. They did get a discount but it wasn't really enough. The food is on the whole average - there are many great restaurants in Glasgow now so only eat here if you're too tired to venture out.

Really overated place

by TripAdvisor Member George070

We will never return to this hotel. It was really quite bad.

Granted we had just spent two glorious days at Gleneagles Hotel before we arrived, but the staff, the room, the food, the service were all steadfastly poor and there is no excuse considering the cost of this hotel.

first, car parking at this hotel is a nightmare - there isn't any. You are expected to drive off and find a space for yourself in the local streets(i wish you good luck).

second, they upgraded us (and charged us) for the privilege without us asking for an upgrade!!!. I only found out they were charging us twice the amount we were expecting to pay because we were asked to pay half of the room cost for the weekend upfront plus £70 extras - apparently all Malmaison hotels ask for payment on arrival?? We found this strange and quite rude.

The room was so dark it could have been a photography Lab. The decor is modern but boring and the only good thing about it was the two flat screen TV's. The bathroom works well but is very small.

The room service is terrible - i had to order a pizza from a local takeaway the reception recommended because after 12pm (and this was 12pm) i was informed that they only do three sorts of sandwiches. The takeaway they recommended was possibily the worst local pizza place in glasgow!

When we complained the manager was good. In fact he is probably the best thing about this hotel. We were charged the upgraded price for one night and then our previously agreed price for the second night which seemed fair enough.

Not impressed at all and will defo not return to this hotel.

Nice hotel and would stay again

by TripAdvisor Member LMel

I had a lovely stay at the Glasgow Malmaison recently for a romantic weekend away. The hotel is centrally situated about 10 mins walk to the main shopping area and the old church setting is very original.
On arrival we were greeted by a very helpful manager/receptionist and overall we found the staff to be quite friendly and helpful. We paid extra for a large king size which was on the top floor and from the other reviews it sounds like paying a little bit extra for the larger room is a good idea (However we would recommend ringing and checking on any weekend deals because we got a significant reduction by doing this compared to the rate on their website and also a deal with included breakfast).
The room we had was spacious and clean with a lovely bathroom and great decor. Having full size quality toiletries which you are instructed to take home is a nice touch too. (Only thing missing was bathrobes which I have had a similar types of hotels in the past and which would have been nice). Bed was huge and really really comfortable with nice quality bedding and duvets and lots of cushions and pillows. Had a great couple of nights sleep! Coffee/tea tray was great and had good quality products which I appreciated and I also liked the little card which allowed you to request a 1/4 pint of fresh milk instead. Breakfasts were of a good quality with a good range of options. We also ate in the restaurant one night and although not fantastic, the food was decent bistro type food and fine if you don't want to go too far. (My only gripe service wise was that we asked for a table in the restaurant at reception and the person could not have been less interested and told us nothing was available until very late. We later asked again in the restaurant itself and they were able to fit us in at a decent time straight away!).
We came by train so parking was not an issue for us but I can see it would be if you came by car.
Overall I would recommend this hotel as a quirky and comfortable hotel in which to spend a few days. We had a great time.

The best hotel in Glasgow by far

I stayed at Malmaison for 4 nights for a long weekend and must say that it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in when visiting Glasgow. I have tried various hotels as I travel to Glasgow around 5 times a year and will never go anywhere else.
The staff are very friendly and cater for your every need which is always a bonus point. I had my dinner on 2 occasions and also my lunch and never did I have to complain as the food was lovely and service was great.
My room was a standard double and you could easily have passed this off for a deluxe double as the quality is superb.
This hotel won 'Sexiest Hotel Of The Year' in Scotland this year and I can certainly see why.
As I am in the industry myself I would normally stay at a Radisson or Hilton but in Glasgow I wouldnt even give them the time of day.
My room cost me £135 per night but I know that there are special offers on nearer the time as my friend got one for the weekend after myself.
As for the meeting rooms I was not in them but I spoke to a bride & groom that were there and also some guys that were up for a golf weekend who had private dinners and they said it was a very nice meal and the rooms were lovely.
I hope this helps anyone that is planning on going to Glasgow for business or pleasure.
All in all the Malmaison is great value for money and I would reccommend this hotel to anyone.

Loving it, loving it, loving it...

We stayed here for our anniversary and I can't enthuse about the place enough. My husband had arranged for champagne and flowers which were both there as requested on arrival. The flowers were beautiful and the champagne superb!

Great food, great staff and good accommodation. Will definitely use again.

Comments