Marriott Hotel Glasgow

Glasgow Marriott Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Just off the city centre (and a bit)

Comfortable rooms, professional staff and good breakfasts.

The function room seems very busy; during our stay, there were 4 separate wedding receptions.

Unique Quality: There is a reasonable restaurant; there is also a fitness centre and spa!

Directions: next to Anderston Station

• moirholj's Profile Photo

As nice a place as any...

I'll be honest, my family stays with Marriott a great deal, so I was able to get this stay in Glasgow for free. Obviously I'll stay anywhere that doesn't cost me anything, but Marriott stays have always been pleasant, clean accomodations. I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't endorse them. The Glasgow Marriott is no exception!

Unique Quality: Centrally located. Easy to walk just about anywhere from here (for a traveler who likes to walk here and there). There is a car rental facility within walking distance if you're game for that!

More about Marriott Hotel Glasgow

great hotel horrible staff

by TripAdvisor Member kizzibee

We have stayed here several times, each time in a suite with a large bed, great view and a living area. The rooms are great - clean and spacious. The breakfast is fantastic, very varied selection, hot and cold.

The staff however, are terrible. They are what we Scots call 'neds' (yobs to you non-scots). The reception staff stank of beer and cigarettes and were so hungover they could never properly understand us. All the staff spoke and looked like they came from the rough areas of Glasgow. They frequently swore and made crude jokes around guests.

Location is great - taxis nearby, concert hall and shops nearby, the glasgow tour bus goes by the hotel.

The hilton is a better place to stay or the city inn. Although breakfast isn't included in the latter, the rooms and staff are great.

First class!

by TripAdvisor Member goodlife0873

As I live only 20 miles from Glasgow, I know the city very well. Having stayed in the Moat House, Langs, City Inn, SAS Radison, Central Hotel, Hilton and Bewleys during various weekend stays, I can honestly say the Marriott comes out top in all categories. We stayed there for my husband's birthday and as I am almost 7 months pregnant I expected to be grouchy and fed up and unable to get comfortable. This was not the case at all. The staff were incredibly attentive, friendly and efficient (not a ned in sight!)the rooms were spotlessly clean, nicely decorated and of a good size with a comfortable bed and great shower. The food was delicious and the Marriott breakfast was fantastic. Out of all the hotels in Glasgow we have stayed at, we both agreed this is one we would have no hesitation in booking again.

Second Stay At The Marriott

by TripAdvisor Member Marie

Having stayed here for one night over the Christmas holidays, we chose the Marriott again last weekend. We got 3 single rooms at the rate of 74 pounds per room per night including breakfast. The breakfast was just as good as the previous stay; the rooms were just as clean and the beds just as comfortable. The only down side was the fire alarm going off at 3 in the morning and everyone ended up outside in the cold for about 10 minutes. It was a false alarm and we were like the walking dead the following morning. (Apparently it had happened on the Friday night as well but we stayed Saturday and Sunday). However, it's nice to know that if there WAS a fire in this high rise hotel, the alarm is loud enough to wake the dead and it was pretty easy getting out. Oh, and I'm still looking for those neds!!

Not a good business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Inglenook

Stayed here on a personal sightseeing trip - but only because I got a free room courtesy of the Marriott rewards program. The room was fine - excellent large bed and well appointed bathroom. However, for business use, this hotel is still back in the stone age.
Nowadays, I expect high speed internet access in a hotel - wired or wireless, since I need daily access to email and business data. This Marriott offers nothing but dial-up access from your room - at 29 pence per minute! I will not be using this hotel for any upcoming business trips. Lack of good internet access is a major flaw for any serious modern hotel - it was even a drawback on my vacation trip since I was using the internet to get information about the various places we wanted to visit in the city.

by TripAdvisor Member David_And_Heather

Surrounding area is ominously unlit at night, but the hotel itself is well worth a visit.
Fast and efficient check-in and a spacious welcoming room complete with mini-bar, satellite TV, large comfortable beds and trouser press.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant and the food was excellent, as was the service, so we were disappointed the next morning when breakfast turned out to be lacklustre, with tired looking fruit salads and a very large black hair in one of the sausages.
Good swimming pool, steam room and sauana and again friendly helpful staff.
Overall very good and we would go back.

One night wasn't long enough!

by TripAdvisor Member Stuartyboy

We stayed at the Marriot last week for one night and had a fantastic experience. From check in to check out we were impressed with all aspects of this hotel. What stood out more than anything though was the customer service. We commented on how ALL of the staff were so consistently friendly and accommodating, something which lacks in many 4* hotels we have stayed in, in the past.

The room, although a bit on the small side, had everything we needed including ironing board, iron and well stocked mini bar. The bed however was the piece de resistence. Massive and so comfortable.

Breakfast was fantastic and serving staff polite and efficient. The food was first class too. The pool also looked very tempting but we unfortunately ran out of time to take a dip. The hotel is also a short dander into the hub of the city centre but far enough out of the bustle to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Would I stay here again? Most definitely. The Marriot Glasgow pushed all the right buttons.

no problems

by TripAdvisor Member Eternal_Holidaymaker

Very clean, pleasant stay, and I am very particular!! My husband and I are seasoned travellers and I have no hesitation in complaining if things are not right.
This hotel was exceptionally clean, staff were very polite and accomodating (late check out for a hang over though I did not cite that as my reason!!!). Only 5 mins walk from shops and nightlife.
Lovely room, more chic than contemporary but it was spacious and very well serviced.
Did not eat in the hotel at night. Breakfast involved a 5 min queue which got longer after we went in, but otherwise cannot fault the smooth running of this hotel.
Would definitely use this hotel again.

Glasgow in July

by gordonilla

"Day 1: Arriving and initial plans"

Having booked the tickets some time ahead, we were able to travel first class - the only benefits as far as I can see is that you get free refreshments and snacks on Virgin trains. The journey took some 4.5 hours - it seems we arrived 9 minutes late.

We arrived at Glasgow Central Station and took a taxi to the Glasgow Marriott Hotel, which did not impress the driver; I later discovered that the hotel was about 5 or 6 minutes walk from the station.

I had requested a high room, and we were on the 8th floor I think - as a city hotel there are no views to speak off. What a pity!

It was quickly agreed that we would go for a curry at a nearby "indian" - several were suggested. Finally we decided upon the Rawalpindi; the service was good and food was excellent.

As a general comment, you should note that Indian food in the UK is different from the food served in southern Asia - some general connect but many differences. The food was spicy and very enjoyable, and the portions were fairly large too.

A short walk back to the hotel brought our day to a close!

"Day 2: A day of culture and fresh air!"

The days started well with a good breakfast - I have to admit to eating far to much! I had two portions of eggs, mushrooms and potato scones - a lot of coffee too (although it was not so good).

Our first stop of the day was The Burrell Collection; I had visited this as a student very soon after it had been opened back in the 1980s.

The collection and its history is interesting and good. I have to say it has a calm but focussed atmosphere. We stopped for coffee and a pastry in the cafe - they also have a good restaurant too.

On the day of the visit they seemed to be trying to break a world tai chi record in the grounds. Rather, they were part of the record breaking attempt.

We walked through the Pollok Country Park to visit Pollok House. We reached it and spent the next few hours walking the grounds and gardens. It is operated by the Glasgow Council and they have lots to see and experience.

It also seemed to be a location for the University of Glasgow's Department of Archaeology to let loose mature students to measure draw and check things!

We then travelled by taxi back to the city centre and made a visit to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. this is the home of Dali's "Christ of St John of the Cross". Sadly this municipal investment is currently on holiday in the USA.

However it was good to see many of the visiting exhibits and the permanent collection. We even got to experience the organ recital that takes place within the main hall.

We called in to Beanscene for a coffee - this is located across the street from the front entrance of the museum. Once again a pleasant walk back to the hotel - then the big dinner discussion. No decisions made early - so we walked into the city centre.

A decision was made - we called into Di Maggio's - the menu and service were fine. sadly my chicken dish was not as good as I had hoped it would be! Located in Royal Exchange Square, the restaurant is very popular.

Back at the hotel, we arrived just as a huge number of guests from a wedding reception were leaving. It was a busy foyer bar area.

"Day 3: A long day with even more culture and food"

This turned out to be a very long day - as with yesterday I had a full and filling breakfast; it was quieter but many of the same faces were still present.

The plan for the day was agreed - we would start off with the things which were open (Monday seems to be a universal museums are closed day).

We made our way to the precincts of the University of Glasgow, which is the home to several museums and collections.

The Hunterian is a collection and museum - the oldest public museum in Scotland. It has several permanent exhibitions and visiting shows. During our visit the main hall was closed for essential maintenance.

Following the museum we made a visit to University chapel - as ever lots of out of term time maintenance was ongoing.

We crossed the busy main road, and then made a visit to the Mackintosh House. It was fortunate, the admission fees were waived as they were taking new promotional photographs of the facility. It is an excellent reconstruction of the former home of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his wife. It is also an art museum and well worth visiting.

The Mackintosh bug well into our souls, we travelled across the city to Bellahouston Park, the location of An Art Lovers House. This is a series of rooms that were designed by Mackintosh and faithfully pulled together in the 1980s and 1990s.

There is a busy restaurant - we had a 25 minute wait for coffee offer! We declined and went for a walk through the park, which was the venue of the 1938 Empire Exhibition.

The only building left from this is the Palace of Art - no longer having art as the reason for its being - it is now a sporting centre of excellence for several sporting disciplines.

Another trip across town, passing Ibrox Football Stadium; home of Glasgow Rangers FC. Our destination was the Scottish Science Centre - my first visit to this facility.

They have a range of things and venues within the complex - I made a visit to the tower, the planetarium, the cafe and the Wallace & Gromit exhibition. It was busy with families and very enjoyable.

The tower has a slow lift, but at the top of the tower it provides great views of the city and the surrounding countryside.

A plan was made, we would have dinner at Springfield Quay and go to the cinema. We walked along the river and crossed various bridges; finally we were eating in the Harvester - service good, food was fine too. Across the car park we went to the Odeon Cinema and watched "Toy Story 3" 3D.

We missed the rain and had a pleasant walk along the riverside and back to the hotel. Arriving back at 23.30; only 14 hours after we left.

"Day 4: The last day and things were open"

The days started early and we did our packing - breakfast was as in previous mornings. It was going to be a long and short day in Glasgow. I wrote my postcards then we made our way into another part of Glasgow - this time on foot.

We walked to St George's square called into the tourist bureau and then made our way away from the central area.

Our first stop was The Barony - which was a church, but is now owned by Strathclyde University and acts as a graduation and function hall. We got a short tour by an energetic attendant.

Walking a short distance up the nearby road - we called into Provands Lordship, which is Glasgow's oldest house. It is a museum and well worth a visit.

Directly across the street is the St Mungo Museum and the Glasgow Necropolis. The museum is worth a visit - it is the home of many faiths. they have a good coffee shop and gift shop.

Sadly we did not visit the Necropolis, time was wearing on and we had to get back to the hotel and then the station.

We did find time to visit the Cathedral of St Mungo - which seemed to be full of Dutch people!

Walking back to the central area, we called into the art centre that is Trongate 103 - it had several good exhibitions and workshops.

Finally we called into the St Enoch shopping centre and then into the Blue Lagoon for food. The hotel then the station.

At 18.30 we were on the train back to London. We arrived at Euston Station at 23.38 and I was home in Uxbridge by 00.40.

Glasgow Marriott HotelGlasgow Marriott Hotel