Menzies Glasgow Hotel

27 Washington Street, (formerly Milton Classic Hotel), Glasgow, G3 8AZ, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

A flight and a bed

I bought a combined flight and hotel package using BA; it was fairly cost effective and resulted in me staying in the Menzies Hotel.

It was a comfortable hotel, and the staff were friendly and professional. I had a reasonable sized room and the bed was very comfortable.

There is a restaurant and a good lounge bar - during my stay they had a professional football team in residence.

Directions: A short walk from the Marriott Hotel - The nearest train station is Anderston Station or alternatively Glasgow Central Station is 5 to 10 minutes walk and Queen Street is 20 minutes walk from the hotel.

More about Menzies Glasgow Hotel

Perfect Birthday!

by TripAdvisor Member corsie

Just spent 2 nights at this hotel and couldn't find a single thing to complain about! Easy to find from the M8, secure parking for free, speedy check in and friendly Glaswegian staff! Our room was spotless, large and very nicely decorated. OK so the street outside looks a little rough but there seems to be lots of development in the area. Easy to walk everywhere during the day and we got a taxi door-to-door at night. The concierge couldn't have been more helpful and was actually from the city which makes a nice change in Scottish hotels. We didnt use the pool but it was busy and looked great. Bar prices were reasonable for a 4* hotel and we demolished the buffet breakfast. This was a birthday treat to remember!

A pleasant stay

I enjoyed my stay at the Menzies hotel although I expected something on a much grander scale. The rooms were comfortable and the pool and spa were fab. I felt the breakfast buffet was poorly laid out and on a weekend the queues for the buffet were all over the place whilst we were waiting for food to be restocked (which seemed quite slow to happen) We ordered some drinks in our room and were surprised to be charged a £3 charge for delivery of this when there was no mention of a surcharge on the room service menu.

Ideal for City Break

Much closer to the Train Station than anticipated, only a 5-minute walk. Very clean, receptionist bright and helpful. Room a decent size (compared to similar 'City break' standards) and the breakfast excellent, lots of choice and fresh. No complaints at all for the money.

Modern, spacious hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs_McMinn

I stayed here for one night as part of a shopping spree to Glasgow on the May Bank holiday weekend. We made the right choice! We booked directly through the hotel for £90 for dinner, bed and breakfast for us both (very reasonable) but found the same deal for very slightly cheaper on [--]. I called the hotel's reservations number as the chain has a Best Rate guarantee. When they found they'd been undersold, they gave us our DBB for the cheaper price plus 10% discount! We were very pleased.
The hotel itself is immaculate. It has a lovely reception and seating area on entering and a comfortable bar area to while away the hours until dinner (£2.95 for a pint of Carling and £3.55 for a vodka and mixer).
The staff in all areas of the hotel were extremely efficient and helpful. Our room was on the top (6th) floor, and was modern and warm. The bathroom was spacious and fresh but, travelling light, we decided to rely on hotel toiletries... there wasn't any shower gel so that was a mistake! The tv had internet connection, payable by the hour, on the tv. The movies were overpriced definitely but there was a good choice of current titles. The kingsize bed was very cosy and comfortable... in fact, too cosy. Our only complaint about the hotel would be that the room was far too hot during the night, we had to throw the duvet off.
Our dinner was from the Chef's Recommended Menu. There were three choices for each course: goats cheese, soup or tuna nicoise as starters, macaroni cheese, lamb chop or monkfish as the main course and brownie, creme brulee or panacotta for dessert. Not a huge choice, but the presentation and service were excellent. Not much of an atmosphere as the dining room wasn't very busy with all the great restaurants in nearby Glasgow city centre. These could be upgraded to the a la carte menu at a price!
Although we didn't use the leisure facilities, they looked lovely and were being used by others. We stayed on a Sunday evening, but despite the holiday it wasn't too busy.
all in all we had a lovely stay and would definitely return to the Menzies in Glasgow.

Very nice hotel - shame about the staff

by TripAdvisor Member flashbadger

Good points - Lovely hotel room, nice bar, spacious bathroom and nice looking menu (not too pricey) also got a very good last minute rate £69.

Bad points - Only one the reception staff and duty manager were snippy and on the point of being rude. Tried to charge us extra for late checkout and all but called me a liar when taking it off.

anyway all in all a nice hotel just a bit letdown by the weekend staff

by TripAdvisor Member TravellerI

We stayed at this hotel for Hogmany 2005 and the problems started at check-in when we were told we were double-booked! Luckily my very organised brother in law had brought all the correspondence he had received when booking.

The rooms were typical chain hotel rooms - nothing to write home about. We had asked for all three of our rooms to be non-smoking and beside one another but when we got to our rooms we were dotted about and had smoking rooms!

The actual Hogmany ball was a farce. We were all crammed in a very small function room at long tables which reminded me of being back in the school dinner hall. The food was terrible and we were unfortunate that we were sitting at the last table in the hall to be served all courses. The Caelidh promised didn't happen and instead we had to settle for 'Cheesy Chunes' disco.

The breakfast the next morning was cold and we had to stand in a queue at the buffet table - something we aren't used to.

All in all we were very disappointed with our stay considering the money which we spent on the package. We certainly won't be going back.

Love this Hotel

we have stayed at this hotel twice a year at least and think it is the best hotel in glasgow and we love everything about it all staff are fantastic and very helpful rooms are very clean and spacious the food is always 1st class cant imagine anyone not loving this hotel and we have stayed in 5 star hotels across the country and menzies is much better its location is excellent, pool and gym fantastic would never consider staying anywhere else

Good Quality

by TripAdvisor Member Dougiemg

Found this to be a good quality Hotel. Rooms were spacious and luxurious. Decor and ambience throughout Hotel above average. There is no doubt that you felt that you were within a quality establishment atall times. I found the concierge and restaurant staff very attentive. The weekend staff were polite but did not go the extra mile which lets down the image otherwise represented. This was booked direct for a reasonable rate.
I would return to this Hotel.

Make Sure You Get The Special DBB Rate!

by TripAdvisor Member devaney10

DISMISS THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU CAN GET MENZIES £90 DBB RATE. This is a fair price and reflects the standard of the hotel. I would not have been happy to pay a lot more. To put things in perspective the hotel is more upmarket than a Travel Lodge but nothing like as grand as the Radisson. You simply get what you pay for. Menzies will charge very high rates when Glasgow is busy so be warned!

The hotel however is perfectly adequate hotel for an overnight stop if you are visiting Glasgow city centre or going to a concert at the SECC.

Menzies is not in a very pleasant place and the exterior is nothing like as grand as the Menzies website photos would have you believe. The room views of the city are also quite miserable.

Rooms were comfortable with efficient air conditioning. Horrible views.

Restaurant food on our dinner bed and breakfast rate of £100 ([--]) was fine for what we wanted but not in the least bit exciting.

Leisure club and bar are ok but again nothing special.

Our room should have been ready at 2.00. We arrived at 2.15 and were told our room would be ready shortly. Reception staff not overly concerned or particularly apologetic about the delay. After a wasted 80 minutes we left our luggage with concierge and went for a walk in the city centre which was a collection of very average shops and pavements covered in chewing gum. This is a shame as the city boasts some fantastic architecture.

Our overall experience of this hotel was average and that is how I have rated it. DON'T QUITE KNOW WHERE THE FIVE STAR REVIEWERS ARE COMING FROM.

Service and consistency Appalling / Shocking

by TripAdvisor Member ILiveInHotels

I can't believe how I have just been treated!

I have been living in another hotel for a year and a half and never come across this.

I booked in Menzies for the week for a nice change???. It was my first night I've ever been there. My brother was in Glasgow for 1 night and so I asked reception for a twin room and asked if it was ok for him to stay for the first night.

We were informed it would cost an extra £20. Ok half expected that anyway. My brother said he would pay it for the breakfast and asked "Does it include breakfast? As long as I get some toast inside me tomorrow".

Friendly reply was "Oh its full breakfast".

I paid because I wanted to treat my brother and at least we were above board! He said to me not to worry he'll get his money's worth tomorrow at breakfast.

The following morning after giving my room number I was queried if I was "room only" (ie just me for breakfast). I immediately guessed that the breakfast didn't include my brother on the list because we had requested his stay late on in the evening. I explained that I had paid £20 extra and we were seated and asked to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet. We did so and returned to our seats to start eating. However before I had chance to start I was approached again and was informed that the £20 only paid for my brother to stay in the room and not for breakfast. Waitrss suggested that I spoke to reception. Slightly embarressed in front of my brother I told him I would quickly sort out the misunderstanding with reception.

I explained to reception that I had been told breakfast was included. The receptionist said that my brother was only paid in for the room. Looking for a fast solution I asked how much breakfast was. £14.99!!! I had just seen the breakfast and no way was it worth that much.

So first thing is that staff are inconsistent and should be trained properly.
Secondly (and even worse in my view) the way they dealt with the problem is awful. If they tell you that you get breakfast they should honour it! Am I wrong in thinking I've been robbed? They could have just let us have the breakfast and end of story but far too tight to lose out on a bowl of cereal, a bowl of fruit and the odd sausage!

Two of my work collegues who are both staying there said that they also heard the receptionist confirm breakfast the night before and even know her name. I shall remove Menzies from our multinational telecommunications company recommended list of approved hotels and maybe they'll think twice about the cost of service vs the cost of sausages!

Comments