40 George Square, Glasgow, G2 1DS, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Poor

More about Millennium Hotel Glasgow

Excellent Location and Experience

by TripAdvisor Member TheCovern

This hotel has a perfect location for the centre of Glasgow. It is situated right nextdoor to Queen Street Station, but you honestly would not know once you are inside the hotel.

10 of us arrived for a two night stay at the beginning of September. When we arrived, just after 10 am, 3 of the rooms were ready and we checked in, the other two were available when we returned from a spot of shopping! Two of the rooms were of average size but well laid out. The only gripe I had was that bathrobes would have been useful. Otherwise, everything was clean and well maintained and plenty of towels. The other three rooms were large to say the least - you could quite easily have had a party, including dancing. They were BIG! The staff we found to be more than helpful and friendly. They were excellent at advising of places to visit, etc., how to get there and booking tables for meals (10 being a difficult number at short notice).

The lobby was inviting and very comfortable to relax and have a drink after serious shopping and sightseeing! The prices were good too. 10 drinks for £30!

Breakfast was good. My only complaint was that there were no tomatoes with the cooked breakfast. There were juices, various breads, fresh fruit, cold meats, fish, cereal - just about anything. The dining area was very tastefully decorated and inviting.

All in all, this is an excellent hotel, well situated and we did not have any complaints. We contacted the hotel direct to book and we got an excellent deal. I have to say that we did book 3 months in advance. I was dubious about going after reading earlier comments about the hotel - especially as I had organised it for everyone else - but my fears were unfounded - EXCELLENT.

I am sorry that I do not have any pictures but it was great.

Fine but not quite 4 star, rude staff.

by TripAdvisor Member rivers22

The hotel was fine - clean and fairly-well furnished but not what I would describe as luxurious.The staff member at check-in was very rude. We had to change rooms twice because we were put in a smoking room then a twin room (we had asked for non-smoking double). We were made to feel like criminals for asking to move and she even sent up a bellboy to look at the rooms we were changing from to check we hadn't taken anything!

Great location, central for most things in the city. The bar was nice but a bit expensive.

We would return here bu wouldn't put up with the same treatment at reception.

comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member havecardwilltravel

Stayed here on tour. Location great for walking about the city, especially at night. Our room did not have a good view at all, but was comfortable. Staff friendly, meals were OK. Would stay here again.

Still one of the best!!

by TripAdvisor Member w62

I have stayed at this hotel before - namely when it was The Copthorne. I have always found it to be an exceptional hotel and a great home from home. I was a little nervous having read some of the reviews and thought that perhaps it had changed and was no longer one of the city's nicest places to stay. I was greatly relieved to find that it is still as nice as ever.

We had problems booking rooms this weekend as there was a Science Exhibition on and the Scottish Baftas. So we had to have 2 nights in the Millennium and our last night in The Langs. Whilst this was a trifle inconvenient, it did give me a chance to directly compare the two 4-star hotels. I found neither to be wanting but would advise that if you are looking for an ultra-modern hotel (complete with wooden floor-boards and trendy bathroom) then you should opt for the Langs. If, on the other hand, you prefer a more traditional hotel then you would prefer the Millenium. But both are good hotels.

I prefer the more traditional styles, which is why I was so happy with my stay at The Millenium but I was perfectly happy with my night at The Langs.

Back to the Millenium review!

Rooms - confortable, decent size, well-equipped. (Actually a bit too comfortable as we lounged around a lot more than we should have, instead of meeting up with family!!)

Location - I love looking out at George Square. We had our own private view of Remembrance Service on Sunday. I am a light sleeper and even though we were overlooking the square, I didn't find it noisy at all. (Although we were on the 4th floor).

Staff- very friendly and efficient.

Breakfast - great! Good quality food and the mushrooms and scrambled eggs were particularly fine.

All in all a great stay and I will definitely stay there again next time.

nice time at the millennium

by TripAdvisor Member j52

Recently spent three days at this hotel, very good location, room was a good size, but needed painting, few carpet stains also, which one shouldn't find in a four star hotel. the breakfast was very good and the staff very friendly, apart from the guy on reception who completly ignored me on check in and just looked at and spoke to my husband.

Wonderfully central

by TripAdvisor Member PatCrit

I booked this Hotel over the Internet basing myself on the fact that it is a centrally situated place, and I was not disappointed. It is extremely centrally situated just by Queen Street Station, perfect for shopping or for easily catching a train or coach outside the city. Reception was friendly and efficient, the room was spacious and clean, breakfast plentiful, service polite and courteous. This is the hotel I would return to should I visit Glasgow again.

Millennium Hotel - Ab Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Superhoteluser

We arrived very early at the hotel ie 8am and were given a room straight away (most hotels only let you check in after 2pm!). To blow me away further, they even upgraded us to their newly refurbished, enormous Club rooms which overlooked George Square. (We booked through an internet site for one night and I didn't expect much for our standard double room rate of £55 for 2 people (room only)). The room, bathroom and dressing room was immaculate and the bed was a generous queensize. The location of the hotel is perfect for shopping and sightseeing with many restaurants only 100m away.

Unfortunately, we didn't try the food at the hotel, but we observed that the Brasserie was completely full when we went out for dinner around 8pm.

Staff were also very friendly and happy to help out. Check in and out was pain-free and quick.

Overall, I will definitely return to this hotel when heading back to Glasgow. I thoroughly recommend it.

Wonderful Choice

by TripAdvisor Member bonnykiwi

From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been nicer. They gave us an upgrade to a club room as I wanted my partner to have a view of Georges Sq. All of the staff were excellent from the reception desk, restaurant staff to the delightful young lady from Poland who cleaned our room. The hotel was clean, breakfast was certainly value for money and the overall impression is one of helpfulness and a keen interest to make your stay a good one. We needed to find a kilt hire shop and the staff did everything they could to help. Would have no hesitation in going back nor in recommending this hotel to friends or family. All in all well worth the money.

More like a three star in places

by TripAdvisor Member DieHoek

Friendly reception staff but the room I was allocated on the 1st floor backed on to the station and the exhaust fans from the hotel and possibly also station restaurant kitchens. Opening the windows was not an option for fresh air. Changed rooms to another in the older part of the hotel but on rear the third floor. Retro-fitted double glazing was pretty ineffective so the sound of trains and station announcements continuously pervaded the room. Furnishings tatty with a bed feeaturing one of the old bouncy mattresses not found in decent hotels. Only dial up internet in standard rooms. WiFi available in reception area but at an outrageous £20 for 24hrs. The hotel is centrally situated but poor value compared with other 4 star rated hotels such as the Malmaison where internet access is free and the rooms are very well maintained. Breakfast room modern and pleasant and staff overall good but the fabric of the building is very patchy.

Great locaton

by TripAdvisor Member GudrunKristin

This is a very nice hotel with frieandly staff and nice rooms. It is rather old but everything was clean and looked ok. The best was the location but if anything was not so good it was the restaurant at the Hotel. It was ok but not excellent. This hotel has good rooms and great beds with excellent breakfast. We loved how the staff was friendly and helpful. Better to pay a little more for your acoomodation to be happy and save taxifares ;-)
Kristin