Swallow Hotel Glasgow

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 23% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Swallow Hotel Glasgow

Excellent hotel. Will stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member PortyAL

Stayed in the Swallow Glasgow for 3 nights in November 06 and could not find fault with it. We arrived well before check in time but were accomdated with a room after a short wait, despite the hotel being full the night before.

The hotel decor was modern enough, contrary to other reviews. The room itself was spotless, of adequate size, and tastefully decorated (although the bed was a little soft). The bathroom was also adequate and very clean.

The buffet breakfast was outstanding and set us up for the rest of the day. The food was piping hot and was replaced regularly.

The hotel is located very close to Ibrox (Rangers FC) and is therefore quite busy when Rangers are at home. It has excellent road links, as it backs on to the M8 with access around the corner. Our room was at the back of the hotel, so there was a bit of traffic noise, but this was no real problem.

We didn't use the pool facilities, but they looked very well maintained.

Staff were very friendly and helpful and all in all we had a very enjoyable stay. The hotel is one of the best we have stayed in in the UK and we will certainly be back.

New Carpet can't hide worn woodwork !

by TripAdvisor Member wroughtironron

The Swallow Hotel on Paisley Road West in Glasgow, is unfortunately not sited in an area where you'd want to take an after-dark stroll. The surroundings are reminiscent of a dockside area, with tenements and neglected high rise blocks, but the Police Dog van in the carpark was probably just a coincidence.
CCTV in the car park might re-assure the nervous, but inside it displays a somewhat shabby concept, with chipped and scuffed woodwork, doors and radiators. The new carpets in the corridors don't hide peeling wallpaper in bedrooms, and those unlucky enough to have a room over the open drinking area, might find the noise from the lager drinking denizens staying on a discount business rate (take-aways allowed of course), somewhat distracting.
Not a hotel to include on the list of "must go there again" !

OK, but some problems

by TripAdvisor Member andrew2050

Stayed for 3 nights in July 2006. Paid £50 per room per night (2 people sharing). Rating depends on the price you are paying (official rate is £99 per room per night).

Hotel is a bit scruffy (inside and outside). No air con in the rooms. Door locks don't inspire confidence. Beds extremely uncomfortable (although other furnishings/bathroom/TV etc were all very reasonable).

Can be quite noisey. Hotel website neglects to mention the nightclub nextdoor. Music finished at 12 on both Friday and Saturday evenings. Earplugs are advised.

Staff friendly. Breakfast was very good. Room service wasn't.

Reasonable location (the city centre is not within walking distance) and a taxi costs £5 to the centre. Pool etc surprisingly nice.

Overall, it's not a great hotel, but price we paid reflects this.

Good hotel, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member sm16

Booked this hotel through laterooms and got a good deal.
Firstly staff are friendly and very helpful.
Hotel room was of a good size and pretty clean. Was a bit worried to start with as it backed on to the M8 but it was not a problem.
Pool/gym facilities are very basic but not bad to say its free. Although they have got treadmills and steppers in the pool area which is a bit strange!! (and hot!!)
Food was very nice but restaurant staff were very slow and didnt seem to know what they were talking about when it came to wine.
Overall its a good hotel and I will be staying their on my next trip to Glasgow.
Id expect it is sold out during weekends as its very close to Ibrox but weekdays are ok.

Terrible E

by TripAdvisor Member Mandana

I have just spent one night at the Swallow Hotel, Paisley Rd West Glasgow and one night was more than enough. The room we were given had mould on the bedroom and bathroom walls, the bathroom was dirtly with "stools" in the toliet, When this was brought to the attention of the Chamber maid she was very rude. The fan did not work in the bathroom and the showe head fell off.

At breakfast the staff were ineffficent and we had to eventually ask for cups for tea/coffee, the hot food was cold as it is not kept covered.

W e asked to see the Manager who eventually phoned our room but was reluctant to come and see us, but sent a bottle of wine as compensation-wine which neither of us drink!!!

All in all a very unpleasant experience.

About Adequete

by TripAdvisor Member graemeboro

We stayed at the Swallow in Glasgow for one night when going to see the Rolling Stones at Hampden Park.

The first comment is the location of the hotel. It is situated a quite run down area of the city where I certainly wouldnt want to rome at night. There is a decent underground and bus service nearby which can get you into the city in about 10 minutes. Hampden Park is about 20 minutes by taxi.

Inside the hotel is reasonable although a bit dated, the rooms have all the usual facilities and are clean and comfterbale.

One of my main complaints about this hotel is the service or lack of it. On the afternoon I went to the reception desk to ask about directions to Hampden Park. The queue must have been six deep with one lady on the reception who was clearly struggling to cope. This partly due to a customer who the hotel had no record of! Only twenty minutes into my wait did another member of staff appear on reception.

The bar was also quite disappointing, I went to buy a round of drinks and asked for two pints of Coors, I was advised that they had ran out and was told there is a choice of Tennants or Carling. Having then asked for two pints of Tennants I was told there's only enough beer for one Tennants so I could only have one. My point here is why is the bar not being properly managed. Surely someone should be changing the barrels. My girlfriend also commented that the coke was not too clever either.

This lack of service or inability to cope spread to breakfast where there werent enough plates, cups or food to handle what appeared to be hordes of people. It took half an hour to queue for a cup of tea.

On my second day we took a visit to the pool and found that the Jacuzzi was closed for two hours for cleaning. When we asked the pool attendet the attitiude appeared to be one of so what! This was particulalry annoying as I paid that bit extra to go to a hotel with faciities.

On the whole the hotel is OK for somewhere to stay but I do feel that extra training is need for staff in customer service, and perhaps more to the point additional staff are needed. This hotel clearly cannot cope with a large number of guests.

With some care and attention and a little investment this hotel could be an excellent option, as it stands, my advice would be to consider other options!

better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member Yorkshirebred

Havingseen the reviews for this hotel we booked with trepidation, but it was the only on that could meet our requirements. Overall we found it quite acceptable. The hotel was clean and comfortable, as were our rooms even though we had to have smoking rooms because of lack of availabilty of non smoking.The decor was a little faded but work had taken place to decorate the public areas. The staff we met were friendly and helpful.The gym and pool were fine and the equipment was working and maintained in good order. The area that it is based is perhaps not the most scenic but like many others is in an inner city so what do people expect. We encountered no problems in the area.Our only complaint was that cooked items for breakfast were not always the hottest. It certainly compared favourably with others of the same grading and we would use it again. Our experience did not support the other views expressed.

Good staff, needs some decorating.

by TripAdvisor Member waterloosunset

I stayed at the Swallow Hotel for one night this month as it was close to where my friends were having their wedding. It was very easy to find, with good access to the motorway and public transportation system.
The reception area is bright and welcoming and the staff were very efficient in dealing with my check-in.
The room itself was in need of some decoration. It is obvious that some money has been spent on refurbishing the public areas, but the carpet in my room certainly needed at least a good shampoo if not a replacement. The furniture was a wee bit shabby too and I think stained from years of having guests smoke in the room. The bathroom was tiny, but the place was clean, quiet and warm and the bed was comfortable.
The barman was friendly and they seemed to have a good selection of drinks.
The breakfast buffet has a wide selection of cereals and hot items and my only issue here would be that in other Swallow Hotels I have stayed in, whist guests got their own breakfast from the buffet, hot toast and tea and coffee were brought to the table by staff. Here, you had to do everything yourself, resulting in some congestion around the toaster and flasks of tea and coffee.
I think the Swallow is fine for short stays for a specific purpose if you are attending an event in the South side of Glasgow, but for actually exploring the city itself, it may be better to move further in towards the centre of the city.

'Good value for Money'

by TripAdvisor Member scotslass1

I booked this hotel through laterooms and paid £45 per room, I wasn't sure what to expect when booking as I had read mixed reviews but the hotel was near to the hospital where I was visiting so I decided to take a chance. As some reviews stated the hotel was in a bit of a run down area but what do you expect in the city, it was easy to find from the motorway and was secure enough.

The reception was clean and bright and the staff were excellent, my rooms weren't coming up as booked but the girl sorted this out for me. The room itself was clean and better than expected, the bathroom did have some mold on the ceiling but at £45 I wasn't complaining.

The breakfast buffet has a wide selection of cereals and hot items and the staff brought tea, coffee and toast to the table, all in all it was excellent value for money.

The only fault was that I had my children with me who were looking forward to swimming and on arrival there was a sign saying the pool was out of order, I would have appreciated being informed this when booking.

I would stay at this hotel again if I was in the area.

Worst Hotel in Glasgow?

by TripAdvisor Member hotelreviewer007

From the first phone call I should have smelled a rat. 8pm at night phoned the hotel to get a room rate and to check what facillities the rooms had, told to phone back in the morning when reservatiosn where open, this sounded like why bother us.

Receptionist on arrival was pleasent.

Our room was on the second floor backing onto the motorway, avoid like the plague - the hotel do not believe in triple glaze so you here the very busy M8 at all ours. As well as all the noise from other rooms and the bar.

The hotel is in need of a major decoration, wallpaper dirty and peeling, raditors bleeding, tired and worn out furniture and a bathroom full of grease and mould.

Breakfast was another disaster, 10 minutes to get a seat then another 10 minutes to be asked whether we wanted tea or coffee. Only about 5 tables occupied in the restaurant but it stables were still not being cleared away. Very little fruit juice left, staindson the table clothes, dirty cutlery and the buffet breakfast was not worth touching i dont know what environmental health would have said about it.

Never again, avoid like the plague.

City ChambersCity Chambers

China Blue restaurant - up the stairs.....China Blue restaurant - up the stairs.....

Rangers V Inter Milan Card DisplayRangers V Inter Milan Card Display

river clyderiver clyde

Suggestions for lunch and dinner, and good place for souvenir

by tracyskf

Spending a few days and nights in Glasgow - any suggestions for food? Not too pricy but nice. Am gonna stay near the Buchanan Bus Station area...

Also any good place for souvenir?

Re: Suggestions for lunch and dinner, and good place for souvenir

by Paisleypaul

La Bonne Auberge , affiliated to the Holiday Inn, atop Buchanan Street.
The Rogano in Exchange Square is the city's #1 but mostluy fish / seafood so this has to be your thing, a bit pricier.
Check and book for all sorts of bargains all over the city at www.5pm.co.uk. You can register now to save time!

Re: Suggestions for lunch and dinner, and good place for souvenir

by russkibrit

There ia a nice authentic Russian restaurant on King Street , a 5-10 minute walk from the area you are staying; it's called 'Cossachok' and then, there is Café Gandolfi which is not really a café but a lovely restaurant. This is on Albion Street, by Candleriggs - most people will know it and again it is not far from where you are staying. I'd try getting the Underground train to Hillhead in the West End, there are loads of great places to eat around there and the atmosphere is great. I recommend a pub in an old church round there with a fab beer garden : Cottiers; it's in the West End too, just off Highburgh road, turn left after a children's play area and it's just there.

Comments