Main Street East, Inveraray, PA32 8TT, United Kingdom

More about The George Hotel

super cosy hotel

this is great place to stay if you visit inverary or surrounding areas.my partner and i stayed at the george hotel for his birthday we had a master delux room which was absolutly stunning really classy not to mention the jacuzzi which was heaven! the food was also devine and very reasonably priced, if you do dine in the restraunt id advise you to try the sticky toffee pudding mmmmmmm yum! best dessert ive ever had delicious....planning my next visit already.

food, drink, and atmoshpere

by TripAdvisor Member mellencamp63

We spent 2 nights at the george hotel as we had promised ourselves previously it was my girlfriends 40th birthday and we had a ball, our thanks go to Kris and Greg for the blazing hangovers and to all girls for their attention and service (we could,nt even finish our dinners as there was TOO much).
A fab hotel with the spirit of Scotland built in if you can try and catch the band that play (sorry but i forgot their name)

Completed Charmed

by TripAdvisor Member Evereve

Out of all the places we stayed on our two week trip this was one of our favorites. We loved everything about it. The town of Inveraray is lovely. Walking into The George first thing you notice is all the noise. This is a very popular place to eat and have a pint. The hotel is from the 1700's and it completely charmed me. They have a magnificent bar. The staff were very friendly and very helpful (with the exception of one and I'm positive he was not Scottish). The food was excellent from breakfast to dinner. Very fast service. Our first night we stayed in a double because everything else was booked. Room 22 was a double and was small with a good sized bathroom. The bed itself was comfortable it being a standard double. However, the comforter did need replacing. Too many pils on it. Room was very quiet. The rest of our stay we had a Master room, Room 15. It was a lovely, lovely room. Large and spacious with a very comfortable bed (soft). Had a sofa and several chairs with a fireplace. However, someone stole the remote to the t.v. (why?). Decor very traditional. Bathroom also extra large with a Jacuzzi tub. We had a peek at some of the other rooms and they were just as lovely. The Merchants Room is definitely plush. We will be booking it the next time. You cannot beat the price anywhere for the room your getting. It felt like stealing. Definitely recommend and will definitely make this my home base next trip. Please note there is no phone in your room. But they do have a payphone you can use near reception. Parking is behind the hotel directly behind the Butcher. You almost miss it - it looks like a walkway but is actually a driveway. Book way ahead of time. They are extremely busy and more often than not completely booked. I can see why. You can't go wrong staying at The George.

Good, but disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Dorothy in NJ

The Hotel has a smoky pub in the front and it was lively and packed with people when we checked in on a rainy Saturday night in October. The look was truly authentic and it felt fun. We and our friends had rooms 9 and 27; I tried to book two "deluxe masters" when I engaged the rooms 7 months earlier, but only one was available. Our friends liked 27 better and decided to keep that, while we took the more luxurious 9.

We had the rooms for two days, but ended up checking out after one night. Why? Well, for a few reasons: the bed in our room, a platform bed, felt like we were sleeping on box springs – every individual coil was poking us; no sleep for us. We could only open one side of the antique wardrobe in the room, as the other door was jammed, so we couldn't hang up much. Our friends fared better in that their mattress was ok, but the room was so dark they couldn't see. There are no phones in the rooms, which I did not know beforehand. And the chorus of drunken revelers coming out of the bar singing at 12:30 am was annoying.

The woman at the desk didn't ask why we were leaving, but I told her about the bed anyway. She dismissed me by saying 'we just got new mattresses'. But there was no charge for the cancelled rooms.

There were many good points about the George: the food in the pretty restaurant area off the pub was absolutely great for dinner (breakfast was just ok) and the service was wonderful. The bathrooms are nicely renovated and spacious. The building is like a movie set in that it carries its own atmosphere.

The Best Hotel Ever

by TripAdvisor Member scudymacudy

Have just returned from a trip to this wonderfull hotel! What can I say, having travelled extensively throughout the world this hotel has something very special, wonderful food, staff, atmosphere and the very comfortable and uniquely decorated rooms. I really fell in love with the place,the food was excellent and the bar is really cosy with its wonderful fires.
We stayed in Room 16 and the bed was so comfortable could hardly drag myself out of it. This hotel is a real find!!! I LOVED it, and cant wait to return.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DizzyTiger

We have many a time stopped at this hotel for lunch or dinner to break a long journey from Glasgow to Campbeltown and decided this time to stay over as a treat after all it was the day after we got married. The hotel is magnificent and the service was incredible. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away. Iverarary Castle is magnificent we would definately recommend a visit.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was fantastic, a superb choice of scottish dishes but don't be kidded the menu caters for everyone. We enjoyed a wee wander round inveraray after dinner which was lovely, you can't beat a nice stroll in wonderful surroundings to walk off dinner.

We paid £60 for 1 night for a room with breakfast which we thought was excellent value, this was the only room available and I had booked this at the beginning of May. The room was spacious, comfortable and extremely clean. Breakfast was brilliant and really set us up for the long drive to Glasgow airport later that day.

We were lucky enough to enjoy the pipe band competition on the day we were leaving which was superb.

Overall I would say this hotel is fantastic and I am extremely fussy! A good mixture of a little luxury with all the splendour of Scottish scenery this is an absolute must.

Never Go Back!!!!!!

The hotel was nice, but on arriving the lady on reception was very rude and never really explained anything about the hotel. The food was nice and the staff were great. Housemaids made the hotel very clean and comfortable and were very pleasent. The waiting staff were very helpful and jolly. On leaving the hotel the same receptionist was not at the desk but was enjoying breakfast. She seemed to be more intrested in eating than giving us a pleasent departure, which made us feel that we had done something wrong. We would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing stay, good food.

some you win some you lose

by TripAdvisor Member CJCYorkUK

My wife and I stayed in Inverary for four nights and ate twice at the George (we were staying at the Argyll). The first night we loved it. The food was excellent and service was fine. Definitely recommend the sticky toffee pudding.

Returning the second night was a totally different story. Bar and waiting staff were arguing with each other, no vacant tables and no system for reserving them, so something of a free for all - definitely more pub than restaurant. When we eventually got a table and placed our order the dish had run out (why were we not told this before we made our choice?) On making a second choice of the battered fish and chips we decided to accompany this with the real ale on tap rather than a bottle of wine. Back to the bar to order the drinks only to find that the ale was also not available. No apology. Pretty fed up by now we left and tried the local chippie - very accommodating and excellent food although no less expensive than the George.
We dared to return the next evening and give the George another chance and again had as pleasant an evening as the first night.

The George needs to make up its mind if it is a pub or a restaurant. Restuarant food and prices but pub service ie no system, hit and miss, waiters who cannot even bring a drink to the table unless it is a bottle of wine and then they are unable to tell you anything about the wine. 'the house red, is it oaky?
'don't know you'll have to ask the bar staff we don't know anything about the drinks'

Go to the George. It is excellent. But try to avoid it when it is too busy. They can't cope.

The Merchant's Room is a must!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kags02

Having previously stayed at the George and had a great time - my fiance booked 6 months in advance as a surprise for my birthday. He managed to book the Merchant's room, we had heard so much about it and were not disappointed - it was fab! It's a beautifully laid out room and is highly recommended, we will definitely be re-booking. The jacuzzi was lovely and with the black curtains closed and the candles lit it was sheer heaven.
We ate in the conservatory and as usual the food was delicious, just had to cram in 3 courses (well it was my birthday!)
Breakfast was served in the conservatory and will set you up for the day, really cant fault the hotel on any level. Well actually I can .......................they expect you to leave!

Comments