Caledonian Hotel Oban

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 59% less but rated 11% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Holibags's Profile Photo

Great views

We stayed here on our first wedding anniversay and had a large attic bedroom which had amazing views, we booked for bed and breakfast which was lovely. Staff were friendly and helpfull even though it was really busy with bus tours of people checking in and out. It has been refurbished since we last stayed there and now offers more for guests, it was good when we were there so I imagine its great now!

Unique Quality: A really old hotel with the best views in the town, good food and lovely service.

Directions: Cant really miss it smack bang in town!

• stevezero's Profile Photo

Best Place in Town?

Rising from the waters edge, the historic Oban Caledonian Hotel commands breathtaking views over the sheltered bay of Oban to the hills and islands of Scotland’s magnificent west coast. The gentle grandeur of this famous property has long extended a warmth of welcome to travellers where great adventures by ship, train or land begin and end.

Didn't actually stay here myself, went up to Fort William instead, bi=ut it looks like the one of the best places to spend the night in town.

Unique Quality: Now carefully refurbished under family ownership, this fine hotel offers stylish, contemporary comfort and service.

More about Caledonian Hotel Oban

Expensive ,poor service and few smiles

by TripAdvisor Member crwydwr

My wife and I expected more for £150 / double room / night. The room was OK and comfortable but bathroom was poorly designed. and small. Breakfast and evening meals lacked imagination and were on par with school dinners.

just what we needed !

by TripAdvisor Member chezagray

As a regular visitor to oban, I have not had a better experience in a hotel than the Caledonian. Myself and my husband stayed there the weekend after we married, the service was great just what you expect from the hotel. Since then we have only managed to stay once as we find its very difficult to book last minute as its always full.(we will book in advance from now on) We have stayed in 3 different hotels in oban and they dont seem to carry the same feeling that the caledonian has. On our recent visit we stayed in the captains view room, which had the most amazing view and the decor was very impressive and relaxing. There was only a few things that would of made our stay better, for breakfast we really love hash browns with a full breakfast but there was none(we got them last time), also they have changed the breakfast set-up from buffet style to you just ordering from a set menu. And just a wee tip-i didnt managed to fill out comments sheet as there was no pen. Im already planning my next trip to the delightful caledonian.

The Oban Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Sandyb123

We arrived in Oban on Friday night having ventured through driving rain and a scene on the main street more suited to 'the fast and the furious'.

The woman who greeted us was friendly and instantly changed our room as the receptionist who had booked us had reserved the wrong room. I overlooked the miss-spelling of my name.

We found our accommodation through the maze of the hotel only to find the room door unwilling to allow access. After some brute force we got in and headed out for dinner. The room was quite clean but lacked facilities. The decor was OK and it had a TV which drowned out the sound of the street and the other guests who where pursuing various 'activities'.

In the morning we went for breakfast and it was quite frankly, terrible. After queuing for over 10 minutes to be seated in the half-empty room, I ordered a full Scottish breakfast. It appeared some time later with half the promised hearty meal missing. The 'food' that did appear seemed to have been cooked some time last month, being re-heated earlier that morning.

The service was slow and unwilling. When the people next to us complained that they didn't have any preserves we offered them ours, only to discover that another ravenous guest had previously resorted to the small pots, leaving both parties preserveless.

A good day was had in Oban but on return to the hotel the farce continued, with the 'bar' being constantly closed and the staff being suitably unavailable. After failing to summons a drink from the bar, the night porter recommended a local venue, rather aptly being named after a sausage (something that had failed to appear earlier that day), which was full of the kind of people you don’t want to meet, on a dark night, in Oban.

The next morning other guests where to be heard muttering over incidents with pasta (only available if you are under 14) and general dissatisfaction with the service. I asked for a coffee only to be told by the rather uncharismatic Pole that they had 'run out'. Resigning myself to finding a coffee shop, I realised that getting anything, anywhere in Oban on a Sunday morning seems a near-impossible task.

No effort was made on check out other than to get our money. The customary 'did you enjoy your stay' wasn't to be heard, although the friendly woman who had checked us in did wave a fond fairwell, with just enough time to find amusement at the automatic door refusing to allow passage. Surely I didn't have to stay in this place any longer than I had to?

If you're staying in Oban, choose carefully, and bring a thermos! I won't be back for a while anyway.

Not awfully good really...

by TripAdvisor Member binkyman

Despite having booked online through Visitscotland, the hotel had no record of our booking but luckily (or maybe not) there were rooms available. The receptionists were pleasant but the bar staff and waiting staff were poor. They made us feel that we were a bit of an imposition. There was no butter on the breakfast table and when we requested some we were curtly advised there was only Flora. No apologies.

The room itself was large, well furnished and clean - no complaints there, but the lack of parking is a big problem.

Overall, not worth the money

Mixed blessing

by TripAdvisor Member secretshopperstaffs

We had to book this as an additional night of our holiday because our travel agent (which is a national 'name' but whom I shall never use again was apparently unaware that there was only 1 ferry from Mull on 2nd Jan 2007 and that this ferry missed the train connection for Glasgow - damned inexcusable in a package deal) However we found the Oban Caledonian welcoming and accommodating and they did all they could to make our stay enjoyable. The bar WAS available (for soft or hard drinks and tea/coffee) and the staff were talkative and pleasant.. The menu is definitely 'nouvelle-cuisine' and not really amenable to kids' palates; if you're expecting a king-size steak a 'la Chef & Brewer, forget it; this is more Gary Rhodes than Harry Ramsden. There's lots of white space on the plates although what IS served is well presented and very tasty. Breakfast was adequate and we didn't have any trouble with preserves or toast so that 'hole' must have been 'closed' by someone. There was a slight mistake with our bill but this was acknowledged and fixed on the spot. On the whole, although it's not a 'cheap' B&B type place, I think that the staff do try to make it an enoyable experience and in no way could I fault any of them for their attitude or attention to detail.

Over priced

by TripAdvisor Member allanFalkirk

Stayed for one night thankfully no longer. General appeance tired looking building with no car parking ,The shower had a trickle of water no hairdrier in the room.the room was clean and the service was okay .The young population in Oban must have alcohol problems we listened to them running about drunk up and down the street this was a worry at what could be happening to the car out on the street. I opted to pay the extra for a room upgrade certainly was not worth the money I dont know what foreigners think of our hotels.

Very impressed - great value for money!

by TripAdvisor Member A&L.UKUk

I have just returned from the Caledonian and have just now read the reviews below (the wrong way round to do it, I know) but I am so glad I went with an unbiased view - as these reviews below sound nothing like the hotel we stayed in!!

I must admit - we pulled up in front of the hotel and it looked old and run down, and I thought "what have I done". The exterior does need renovating without a doubt, but once we entered reception we were really pleased with the contemporary look that greeted us in reception. The staff were very friendly and checked us in quickly, without any queries at all.

We stayed for 2 nights and booked two rooms - both were Deluxe rooms with Ocean view - overlooking the waterfront with views over to the ferry terminal. Our room was 212 - a very spacious room which easily accommodated two adults and our two year old twins. The room was furnished with good quality furniture and the bathroom was huge - both rooms were very clean. We never experienced any noise at all (other than our own children!) and certainly no noisy neighbours or people outside in the street.

Breakfast was plentiful, cold buffet for continental breakfast, with the cooked breakfast served by waiters cooked fresh to order. We didn't dine in the main restaurant in the evening - instead we ate in the bar / cafe area and dined early with the children. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us - bringing high chairs for us, bringing dominoes for the children to play with while waiting for dinner (not long to wait though) and the meals for adults and children were great! Not 'nouvelle cuisine' here - just tasty, good sized portions - with a good choice of menu.

We were worried before we went about car parking - the thought of no car park and the amount of luggage we had to take with us was a daunting thought! But it wasn't a problem to us - we were very lucky and managed to park out on the road outside for unloading and loading the car (no charge between 6pm and 9am) and maximum 2hrs during the day - but just over the road is the station car park where we parked for just £3 for 24hrs.

Overall - a great stay - a great rate - and I would certainly return!

The Caledonian Hell!!!

by TripAdvisor Member DRussellGlasgow

On arriving at the hotel, we actually questioned if we were at the right place as it was so dark and unwelcoming and we weren't sure if it was actually open. The windows were disgustingly dirty and the building itself was in poor repair.

On entering the building we were promptly met with a friendly receiptionist who checked us in and directed us to our room, asking if we required any assistance with our hand luggage. Stupidly we said no, as it was a task in itself finding the room. The hotel floors are like a maze with poor signage and direction.

The room itself was "ok", although lacked facilities. The first thing you notice as you enter is again how dirty the windows are. They look like they havent been cleaned since the hotel was first build - absolutely disgusting. The room requested was a double - however, we soon discovered that this interpretation is two single beds pushed together. Grand! The room had limited furniture which again looked as old as the building. In fairness, the room itself was clean enough, however.

The breakfast is not worth getting out of bed for. After placing our order and waiting over 25 minutes for it to be served, it soon became apparant that our order had gone astray. After replacing order and waiting a further 15 minutes, it certainly was not worth the wait. The service was very disorganised and reminded me somewhat of Faulty Towers (one waiter in particular!)

Whilst the receiption staff were exceptionally friendly and keen to help, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the bar staff.

Overall, in my opinion, a poor hotel and not value for money. Will not be returning or recommending it to anyone!

Car parking in oban

by andrew2347

Unfortunately our hotel, The Caledonian, seems not to have car parking spaces. Can any member advise how far away or where free public car parking is available or alternately any othe parking in close proximty to the hotel location, thank you..

by GrumpyDiver

Contact the hotel and they should be able to help, after all they have to answer this question daily. This worked for us when we were in Scotland last summer.

We ended up with solutions that varied from parking on the street in front of the hotel to having to use pay parking a few blocks away. Smaller towns ususally had fairly easy parking, while Glasgow and Edinburgh were a bit trickier.

by mccalpin

Are you looking to stay at the Oban Caledonian at http://www.obancaledonian.com/?

Their website says "There is no car parking at the hotel, alternatively there is on-Street parking which is restricted to 2 hours between 9.00am and 6.00pm Monday to Saturday, the current charge is 70p per 40mins. There are three car parks within 400 Metres of the hotel which are metered at low rates and another within 5 / 10 minutes walk which charges £4 for 24 hours parking. "
(see http://www.obancaledonian.com/info-centre/faqs.htm )

by hawkhead

This is copied from the hotel's website:

Your arrival
The Oban Caledonian Hotel is at the head of the main pier close to the railway station.

by mccalpin

Yeah, that's what I said ;-)

by hawkhead

whoops, should read the posts beforehand!!

by mccalpin

To be fair, I sometimes have posts open for quite a while as I research things or get distracted by the cats, and somebody sneaks in with the same answer in the meantime, so it looks like I didn't read the posts, but the posts changed while I was typing...but in this case, I was just pulling your chain ;-)

Comments