Kilmarnock Road, PRESTWICK, KA9 2RJ, GB

Rated 10% higher but also costs 35% more than other 3 star hotels

More about THE MANOR PARK HOTEL AT PRESTWICK AIRPORT

DUMP!

by HOLLYCHANNING about MANOR PARK HOTEL, PRESTWICK, SCOTLAND

My mother and I booked this hotel as we were flying from Prestwick Airport early the next
morning.

I had requested a room with bath but we were taken to an annexe with only shower rooms.
Another room with bath was allocated. The annexe was not secure as it was situated before the main hotel building with no reception and no locked entrance.

We quickly put our bags into the room and went out for lunch as the receptionist was iffy as to whether the restaurant would be open! This hotel is in a village with no other means of
finding food! She said "The kitchen was shut last night, not sure if it will be serving tonight!"
She was then rather miffed when I asked where we could go instead.

On returning to the hotel I went to the bathroom and the toilet seat all but jettisoned meinto the next room. I decided to have a drink in the bar and my mother went to the room for a bath. I complained about the toilet seat and the odd-job man said he would look at it. I explained to the receptionist that it was a very flimsy cheap plastic one and she said "It is not!"

To stop myself from hitting the roof I decided to have a drink at the bar. I asked for a dry white wine and was told by the barmaid that she would have to go to the cellar, she returned and told me there wasn't any! I then ordered a gin and tonic and was presented with a warm glass (the ice was melting even as she put the glass down on the bar!), the glass was full to the brim as the entire bottle of tonic had been poured in. When I said (politely) that I preferred to measure the amount of tonic myself, I was treated with a less than polite attitude. I had asked the receptionist to let me know when the internet was free (20 mins for £3!) but he forgot - I was sitting within his sights.
When I finally tried to log onto the internet - it was down. I complained and they let me use the office, not exactly private - I at least wasn't charged for this.

On returning to the room I was met by a less than happy mother who guided me to the bathroom and the broken (again) toilet seat, not to mention the fact that it had not been cleaned and I do not want to say how I knew! The bath surround was mouldy, the mirror filthy, the wash-hand had not been cleaned and there were hairs round the edge of the bath.
Added to this there was a heater hanging off the wall, the curtains were badly stained, in order to heat the electric kettle it had to be put on the floor so that it could reach the extension. The carpet had not seen a vacuum for weeks and, apart from the cotton bedding, the room was a disgrace.

I went to reception to complain and was told that they had never had any complaints! I was taken back to the room by a man who I was certain was not the 'Manager' I asked to speak to who had a look around and asked me what my problem was. I pointed out each 'problem' one by one and he generally agreed that the cleanliness was not up to standard. He asked me what I wanted him to do and I said I did not want to pay for the room. He suggested I move to another hotel and I said I could not do that at such short notice as my mother was very tired and it was almost 7.30. He said he would have a chat with 'The Manager' and come back to me. I offered him my written list of complaints but he told me to write to the hotel. He did not get back to me!

I could not wait to get up as the laundry was below the room and the machines started at around 4.30 a.m. We had booked the hotel taxi to the airport at 7.30 and I decided that we would not have breakfast until I knew the outcome of my complaint. A very rushed off his feet young man told me that there would not be anyone at reception until 7.30 - no breakfast then! Finally a woman arrived and I told her my complaints, along with my written list and the information that I had taken photographs to back it up. She apologised bery courteously and told me that the person who had 'dealt' with my complaint had no business doing so and that she would refund the entire bill. This she did. I felt sorry that such a polite and, obviously, savvy person had to work in such a place.

This is their blurb on their website:-
"nothing is a problem"
Our company moto is "nothing is a problem" and you will find out when you visit us that we endevour to go that extra mile to make your stay most enjoyable. Whether you are in the area on business or for pleasure, you are certain to take a little piece of Ayrshire back home with you. Our romantic 19th century Manor House was built by a local businessman as his home and then changed to a hotel in the 1930's.

The room rate was £79 (reduced from £99, wonder wny?) When will Scotland sit up and take notice - this is just not good enough. There were certain members of staff who were helpful, polite and wasting their time in such
an establishment.