1 W Victoria Dock Rd, Dundee, DD1 3JP, United Kingdom

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Attention to detail

This was a last minute booking but from the minute I swung down off the Tay road bridge into the car park I knew that it had been a good choice. On checking in the receptionist was very friendly and gave us a fantastic tip for a thai restaurant, then upgraded us so we had a good view from the top floor.

The room itself was superb as was the room service at breakfast the next morning and we'd a big grin on our faces when we checked out the next day.

Unique Quality: Easy to locate but still central, great views, excellent service and a room that left you wanting for nothing.

Directions: Just beside the Tay Bridge

• RPW's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel - Shame about the staff

The hotel is perfectly situated for town centre and waterfront attractions/walks. However as I stated on the hotels comments leaflet, "First impressions can be crucial" and my first impression of some of the hotel staff was none too complementary. If the management gave the staff some advice on how they should either speak to customers or even deal with issues then perhaps I would recommend it, the rooms are massive and have lots of extras, nice leisure suite with spa also available.

Unique Quality: Excellent views from some of the rooms - I was fortuneate in that respect.

Directions: If you come out of the train station its across to your left, near the casino.

More about Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa

Not up to the usual standard!

by TripAdvisor Member Jigsawman

I have just returned from an overnight trip to the Apex Dundee. As this was my fourth visit to this hotel, I was slightly disappointed with the standards that were on offer on this occasion. As usual the the facilities in the bedrooms and spa area were first class but I am afraid that the food in the hotel restaurant left a lot to be desired on this trip. In addition the general care of the hotel particularly around the bar/lounge area left a lot to be desired, with empty drinks glasses being left uncleared for an inordinate length of time.
As I say this is not the standards that I have come to expect in what is an otherwise fine hotel.
Overall I suspect that the apparent drop in standards may be due to a lack of management direction rather than any shortage of staff.
Whilst I would not wish to put anyone off from using this hotel, I will watch future reviews with interest to see whether this was a temporary blip or a pattern of poor service that continues.

Book this and if you let them be bumped to a dump 15 minutes away

by TripAdvisor Member Orchardbank

Yep thats right if you are book here you run the risk when you turn up that (as a previous post has said) you can find yourself in an argument to avoid being sent to an old fashioned dump 15 minutes away .no matter that your booking is with the Apex.
So having won the argument - We then discovered that the food was terriable, staff were not interested and the whole stay was a disaster.
Do yourself a favour and avoid at all costs

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member Pussinboots2901

Having stayed the night before at a hotel in Killin, Perthshire, which was highly recommended by Tripadvisor readers but turned out to be a slight disappointment (and was also twice the price!), the Apex at City Quay was a breath of fresh air. The room was gorgeous, with bright modern decor and fantastic views over the Tay Bridge - the widescreen TV and DVD player made it that bit more special too. We ate in the Metro restaurant where the food was amazing and the staff extremely friendly. This is definitely one of the best city hotels I've stayed in and would not consider staying anywhere else next time I'm in Dundee.

Nice escape

Enjoyed a long weekend here.

Staff average (some helpful and pleasant; some not – but no one was rude).

Room clean and tidy.

Gym and spa (as in pool, hot tub and saunas – never tried the treatments) wonderful

Food: We had difficulty getting a seat in the restaurant, so, settled for room service one night. We think the food had been sitting too long, as when it reached us (in the time given) we found it to be too dry.

Dined in the Brasserie another night. Friendly staff. Food good, (better than the room service food even through is comes from the same place!).

Location adequate

Wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member luvtravel99

Went on a tour of Great Britain and Ireland. This hotel was one of the bright spots on our hotel stay. The rooms were extremely spacious and beautiful. The bathroom was spotless with a large tub, great bath and shower items and even a rubber duckie to play with. We had a great view from our room. Dinner was top rate. Would stay there again anytime.

Excellent!

We have just returned after spending 2 wonderful nights in the Apex Hotel on the 'Spa Taster Break' deal (executive room). There were no problems at all check in was quick, all staff were polite and efficient, our room was clean and fresh - as was the bathroom (soap/shampoo & shower gel were lovely!). We spent a lot of time in the Hotels Yu Spa and this was a delight - the japanese hot tubs were excellent and the swimming area very nice (especially at night when this area is dark with subtle red lighting). As part of our 'Spa Taster' we had a 30min back massage and 30 min facial - this was amazing and definately not to be missed!! Dinner in the Metro Brassiere was delicious and the breakfast superb. There is an Indian buffet (well worth a visit!), Dominos Pizza and Chinese buffet within 2mins walking distance of the hotel. I would certainly recommend this hotel and will return again.

Best hotel for mile but beware of noise!!

by TripAdvisor Member chris1001

I stay in Scotland extensively on business and can honestly say that this is the best hotel in the Dundee/Perth area in terms of modern rooms and the beautiful Yu Spa. Not much competition in Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen though - most of the big chain hotels need a serious refurb.

The only downside is that around 4am on weekdays - without fail, a bin wagon turns up to the bin store on the western side (overlooking the Tay bridge) and proceeds to make an absulute racket for ages. It seems is if somebody is throwing glass bottles into empty skips with the sole intent of waking guests up and I can vouch that it works. This is a serious problem to an otherwise faultless hotel. Try and ask for a room on east side.

Rooms - lovely and modern with contrasting shades, wood flooring, widescreen tv, dvd, oversized double bed, desk, spare blankets and pillows, iron & board, safe, fridge (albeit empty) etc.

Food from room service is pretty bland with little creativity - surpising when you consider the restaurant has 2 AA Rossetes.

Yu Spa has modern compact gym with latest equipment although never really too busy. The Spa is perfect to unwind (keep the kids out after 7pm I say!!!) but as with many hotel spas, some facilities are often out of action. Very rare that both hot tubs are working although one is enough for me.

Wireless access throughout although why these hotels have to charge for this is beyond me in this day and age.

If you want to be woken up by noise and leave tired this is for you

Booked an 'executive room' with robes, safe and other extras and asked for a quiet room when I booked ( a few weeks in advance). They gave us a room on the first floor, immediately above the main entrance and without the amenities for which I had paid. I asked for new room, told the usual ' we are full' and promised robes etc would be delivered. Needless to say they did not arrive. Mediocre meal served in the restaurant (eventually) by a number of waiters, none of whom seemed to care. In the night we were woken up several times by noise from a reunion party and at 01:30 a.m. we could take no more of Norman Greenbaum's spirit in the sky being played far too loudly. Complained to the night staff who said that when the asked the 'guests' at the function to turn the volume down, as soon as they left the function suite it was turned back up, so they could do nothing. The noise subsided by 03:00 after the party finished and the 'guests' had departed in loud voice underneath our window. Written letter of complaint to Apex was met with a brush off response. This was the second time I had stayed and the experience left me tired and irascible on both occasions. I would not recommend this hotel and will not stay again. The Hilton is nearby and 25% cheaper.

Comments