Dunalastair Hotel

The Square 1, Kinloch Rannoch, Pitlochry, Perth and Kinross, PH16 5PW, Scotland

More about Dunalastair Hotel

Always Exceeds Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member jenmac80

Got engaged at the Dunalastair last weekend. It was our 4th visit in all and it will always now have a place in our memory. The staff are helpful but discreet, the rooms are spotless with great bathrooms and the food is absolutely fantastic. They are also constantly improving the hotel, so it's nice to go back and see what the recent developments are! My only slight criticism would be that it has begun to lack a bit of a 'personal touch' if you like. But that could just be because there have been some staff changes. Definitely reccommended.

Best Hotel Ever

by TripAdvisor Member artyBerlin

After a long journey to Dunalastair we were delighted by the warmth of welcome we received, the manager, Peter and his team make us feel so welcome and along with the welcome dram and crackling log fires we were absolutely captivated.

We had booked a Romantic Eden break and the pink champagne was chilled and in our room along with a gorgeous box of Eden chocolates. Our spa bathroom was huge and very well designed, with a seperate walk in shower and a bath tub big enough for more than one ....not to mention the box of Arran Aromatic toiletries that was enormous.

Dinner is a relaxed affair with menus and double gins in the beautiful lounge - again another log fire, before going into Schiehallion Restaurant for a meal that we can only describe as fantastic. Great wine list too, we took Peter's recommendation on the wine and it was spot on. The chandeliers made of antlers in the restaurant need to be seen to be believed...WOW

There is an atmoshphere of relaxed calm at Dunalastair and this can be felt from the attitude and helpfulness of the staff through to the careful and thoughtful renovations that are taking place. Dunalastair is a hotel with real Scottish character.Beautifully situated, beautifully maintained, and beautifully run. We hope to return there very soon - Keep up the good work, it is so refreshing to find a hotel in Scotland delivering hospitality worthy of the name - Peter and his team really live up to their motto ...'the warm heart of the Highlands

True Scottish Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member NeilandClareWalmsley

First visited in 2004 for our 1st Anniversary and re-visited in December 2005 for our 2nd. Fantastic scenery and location - about 45 minutes drive from Pitlochry. Beautiful village made even more picturesque in winter by the squares' Christmas tree and light dusting of snow. Since our last visit in 2004 the hotel has undergone improvements to the ground floor and I would thoroughly recommend a Malt King Spa Room with its corner whirlpool bath, a must after a crisp walk around the loch. Shortly followed by a drink sat by the halls roaring log fire whilst choosing from the varied table d'hote dinner menu (You must try all the local produce especially the cheeseboard). After a relaxing evening in the whiskey bar and a goods night sleep in a huge bed prepare to be greeted by a traditional buffet style breakfast with everything you could wish for - although I was disappointed I wasn't told about the porridge until I read it on another website on my return home. If you're looking for a romantic and luxury break yet with good value in the Southern Highlands of Scotland (about 5 hours drive from Lancashire) go to the Dunalastair.

Super Scottish Hospitality

My son and I had what can only be described as a wonderful experience at the Dunalastair from 8th May to 14th May. The only very small gripe was the size of the Blend Room allocated to us but even so it had all the necessary facilities.
On arrival we were welcomed by a lady receptionist who was able to provide all the information we required and even showed us round most of the Hotel.
We usually had a drink in the pub before dinner each evening where a decent pint was served and the locals were very friendly. The three course meal on offer each evening was of what can only be described as excellent quality and all the staff were friendly and efficient.
Breakfast each morning was also of very good quality and plenty of choice was on offer. Some mornings it was prepared to order and other mornings it was of a buffet nature but the food was always of high standard.
If you require an excellent Hotel with good staff and good food and also good facilities you do not have to look any further.

lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dr1p

great building. full of charm. stayed for 2nights during week with 4month old baby. hotel small enough that baby monitor worked whilst in dining room.
rooms spacious and food excellent. better than many higher star hotels that we've stayed in.

A complete waste of money

by TripAdvisor Member Vinnie D

This hotel is a pretentious wanna-be, suited only to people who have no idea what class is and believe that it can be bought with through-the-nose prices. I would equate this to a very poor travel-inn but at 4 times the cost. Do yourself a favour and give it a miss.

I had pre-booked otherwise I would have walked right out. It started with complete disinterest from the receptionist who finished his private call first and said to me 'the rooms just down there' and said to my husband 'you can manage your own bags mate'. At £200 a night I expect to be shown to my room and guided round the facilities. The walk to the room was through a corridor of what appeared to be abandoned furniture and was not just down the hall.
The room was shabby but generally clean. However the selling feature of the room had been claims of spa body and soul luxury. It consisted of one corner bath with 6 water jets, no robes, nothing spa like and a notice telling you not to use foam bath. What was worse was the utterly disgusting filth that pumped out of the jets. I spent 2.5 hours trying to purge the jets and eventually gave up. It was disgusting - I wouldn't have bathed a dog in it. During this time I smelt constant fag smoke from outside the window (which looked into the staff area) and heard general noise. Hardly relaxing or acceptable.
The hotel claims to have Sat TV and DVDs in the room descriptions but all you get is a small old TV with 4 channels so badly tunned it hurts to watch (no teletext). There is a tea tray but not even a packet of biscuits and should you want more tea bags then you'll be charged through the nose for these too. Remember £200 a night!!
Dinner was okay but incredibly small and it says it all that the foreign staff can barely serve the food without dropping it let alone display any silver service techniques. The hotel is shabby - and not shabby chic - and the dinning room more akin to the ambiance of a nursing home.
Never mind, we'll get a good nights sleep out here in the quiet countryside - ha - I've had better sleeps in Glasgow central city. As noted before the bathroom opens onto the staff area and the staff showed no concerns of going about quietly. Instead there was constant banging and shouting. Doors banged all night and other guests ran about the place. In additon the bedroom window was next to where the beer barrels were dumped in the early morning and right next to some kind of machine/venting system which went on and off all night - imagine the noise of a jet ski.
Exhausted we got up for breakfast. Imagine our horror to discover that breakfast was self-service from five tiny trays. Stone cold, half empty and swimming with grease. Disgusting and inedible, and remember we were already very hungry from the night before. I couldn't even cut the potato scone it was so congealed with grease. Our table was dirty from the last guests and the cereal area was covered in milk and sugar. (cereals were rice crispies, cornflakes and alpen). I've never seen such a poor breakfast.
Remember we're not talking a cheap cost and we had booked this as a much needed rest in what claimed to be a spa room. We left exhausted, unwashed and starving, and at the earliest opportunity. My husband said that if he'd known how bad breakfast was going to be then we'd have gotten in the car and left at 3am to drive home to our own bed.
When I checked out the receptionist wasn't the least bit interested in us, didn't ask how our stay was or even say thanks, they were only interested in the money and not our complaints.
I travel all over the world regularly, personally and for business and have therefore experienced many hotels - this is one of the worst. The worst thing is that it claims to be a wonderful opulent experience of Scotland. As a Scot I am embarrassed that anyone from another country should think this is an example of Scotland. It is NOT.
At roughly £200 a night there are many other options available and I recommend that you chose ANY other!

Comments