Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club

Great Weekend at Scotlands Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ABZ140289

Very pleasant stay at the Scotland Hotel in Pitlochry. First Impressions of the hotel very good, very nice and personal welcome. The Room was of a good size and was very clean and well presented (Stocked with Tea/Coffee making facilities and individual toiletries).

Enjoyed a three course meal at the hotels main restaurant. The time from ordering to actually receiving the meal was very quick and the again the staff were pleasant. The quality of the meal was excellent and good value.

Overall the previous reports do not equate to standards of service and cleanliness that wereceived during our stay. I too reads these reports and was very apprehensive. But after a stay at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised

Scotlands hotel.......Don't do it..........EVER

by TripAdvisor Member Sconie

Scotlands Hotel ! more like Warsaw !, almost every member of staff in the hotel (and most other hotels and shops in Pitlochry) were Polish, this created many problems whilst trying to hold a simple conversation in my native tong (English), you may expect to struggle with this problem when overseas but not in my own back yard, the meals were very, very slow ( over an hour and a half ) and kids do not like sitting in a long formal setting, the service was all over the place, tea & toast would turn up as you were leaving the table and the staff struggled to understand basic orders.

The rooms were a good size, but dirty and run down, wallpaper pealing from walls, large chips in bathroom enamel ware, I had to ask twice to have towels delivered to the room on arrival (still waiting for a bath mat and hand towels) don't worry about using the alarm clock though, the Inverness sleeper let's the horn rip as it hurtles past the hotel in the early hours.

The pool was small and overused, due no doubt to the lack of other activities in the area, far too much chemical the pool, which caused sore eyes and coughing, this was no doubt to fight the many bugs in the area, as the changing rooms were swimming with stagnant unmopped water, the lockers are rusty and small.

Without doubt this was the worst short break we have even endured, save up and go to the USA and see how customer service should look, as a Scot I am disgusted with the old fashioned sloppy and expensive service the nation provides, I will never be back.

Excellent accomodation,food and service

by TripAdvisor Member FifersFife

We have just returned from a fantastic three night stay at the Scotlands Hotel, Pitlochry, now owned by Crerar Hotels.We were apprehensive after reading the previous reviews on trip advisor. The lounge has recently been tastefully updated. The restaurant is very spacious where we received excellent service from the Polish waiters/waitresses. The food was excellent the only negative was that portions were slightly on the small side. The hotel has a very high standard of cleanliness again attributed to by the hard working Polish staff. We stayed in Dunevin House, a large house situated opposite the hotel, the rooms were huge with a seperate bedroom for the kids. Overall we had a fantastic stay, thankfully as we were there with my parents celebarting my fathers 65th birthday.

New Year Break

by TripAdvisor Member RugbyPost

Best Western Scotland's Hotel, Pitlochry.
Date - 3 January 2007

Four of us have just returned from 3 day New Year Break at Scotland's Hotel. Like other Trip Advisor booked hotel without first looking at reviews and therefore a little apprehensive on what visit would be like!!

On attending we were booked into the hotel's annexe, The Bank House, and this was only a few yards from the hotel. Reception staff very helpful and efficient. The two rooms provided were very comfortable, with appropriate accessories provided. It has to be said that the ceiling of one of the rooms needed some redecoration, but this did not really detract from overall cleanliness. Clean towels were provided every day and chambermaid service was excellent. Location of rooms provided peace and quiet, which suited us.

We were booked for dinner, bed and breakfast and were not disappointed in meals provided - both in quality and quantity. Waiting staff, who were predominantly Polish, were great ambassadors for the hotel. Dining room was well decorated and very comfortable. The decor in the room adjacent to the dining room could probably do with a little sprucing up but was comfortable enough to have a quiet drink in.

The leisure facilities consisted of a pool, jacussi and fitness room - and cleanliness could not be faulted. The male changing room was clean and adequate.

Entertainment was provided over the 3 night stay and Gordon, the Disc Jockey for 2 of these nights, has to be congratulated in keeping guests well entertained.

Hotel management were very visible throughout the time we attended and were more than willing to enter into any discussion that you wanted.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay in Best Westen Scotland's Hotel over the New Year period.

Good Break

by TripAdvisor Member no1tuber

I booked and payed for a 2 night break for my partner and i to the Scotlands Hotel, for a lazy break. I looked at the reviews after i booked, and nearly had a heart attack after reading the latest ones.
So expecting the worst we headed to the hotel with plan B in place...'go to a B&B' if things weren't up to our standards.
We got booked in no problem, the girl in reception was friendly and helpful. The Decor is kinda dated, as has been said in other reviews. The hotel is old fashioned too but i'm sure the majority of the people visiting it would be happy, most were eldery!

The room was clean, with a good supply of towels. Everything we needed really.
Most of the staff were Polish, but were very helpful, we gave them a good tip the first night, and definately got preferential service because of it.
The food was good, not huge portions, however after the 3 courses we'd had plenty. Breakfast too was ample and good.
The wine list was fine too with a good choice.
I think this hotel would suit older people more than my age group '37years'. The situation of the hotel is perfect for the 2 pubs in town, a 2 minute walk/stagger....
Would i go back? maybe...
Colin

Very Dissapointed

by TripAdvisor Member DANIELNO1

I was very dissapointed with the staff at this hotel, i rang prior to my stay to change the night of my booking, which was fine. When i arrived they inforned me they had never had that information so i could not stay, they did not offer me another room, they sent me to a hotel which cost more and did not offer to pay the difference. They were not sympathetic and to quote it 'wasn't their problem'.
I would beg to differ!

Bed bug alert!

by TripAdvisor Member traveltime56

This hotel appeared modest but fairly harmless until we switched on the bedroom light in the early hours of the morning to find the bed absolutely crawling with bed bugs. (We have the photos to prove it!)

We were moved to another room but we would have left immediately, had we not been staying with a group for a special occasion.

No compensation or real explanation were offered - just a shrug and 'these things happen' from the manager.

Avoid at all costs!

Not Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member fireman999

We booked via Laterooms.com and arrived at 13.00 only to be informed they did not have our reservation - we went back to the car and retrieved the paperwork only to be told our room would not be ready until 16.00. We returned at the appointed time and were given our key - when we went to the room the bed was made but the sheets had not been changed from the previous guests (don't ask how we knew), the towels were folded and still wet (again not changed), the room smelt strongly of cigarette smoke (Scotland has a No Smoking law) and there were used tissues on the window ledge.
We went to complain and were informed that they had no more rooms except in the Annexe up the hill and we informed them that we had booked in the main hotel and that was where we wanted to stay, luckily an Assistant Manager came along and told the Receptionist to find us a room in the main building, which they did. Whilst we were in the process of complaining there were clearly a lot of other guests who were also complaining about various aspects eg booking, food and service.
A lady in front of us told us how bad the food was so we gave dinner a miss but of course we had paid for breakfast and we found that she was right. The eggs were not cooked, the sausage had only spent about 10 seconds under the grill and we could not decide if the toast had seen the grill at all.
We could not get out fast enough but when I came to pay the Card Machine was malfunctioning and would not take anyones card - about 40 minutes later we left - never to return.

Adequate Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member testuser1234

A little surprised at how bad the previous reviews were...

This was what I'd call your standard 3 star Scottish tourist hotel.

Investment has been focused in the brasserie and lounge area which is nice however we ended up staying in an 'annex' which was really a house up the road from the hotel and this (despite the fact that it was a little weird) could probably have done with a little more investment. HAving said that it was perfectly clean. Also found the staff to be helpful and pleasant.

I am probably being more generous than I usually am in reviews because they gave us a bargain rate - only £35 B&B which is frankly half of what I'd expected to pay.

Tries hard but never gets there

by TripAdvisor Member Slippylizard

Upon arrival (at 1pm) as a party of six we were told check in was not until 4pm. We had driven for 3 hours so would have liked to check in slightly earlier to use the facilities.

We returned at 4pm to be part of a hailstorm of other residents all trying to do the same thing because it was so late. It took ages to check in and then our friends allocated room key was lost so they had to wait in reception for a further 45 minutes until a different room was given to them. This turned out to be small and obviously there had been a flood through the roof recently. They were told it was a "superior" room. Our own room was a reasonable room but smelt of stale smoke even after the smoking ban. It had lots of water marks as well.

The pool facilities are poor. The changing rooms have old broken lockers and frankly I have not seen worse in other hotels. The pool is small and with everyone pouring in at 4pm was too busy and certainly not relaxing.

The meal was very average and supplements were expensive and overpriced however given the quality of the menu there was little choice but to go for something else. The vegetables were courgettes and turnip, hardly inspiring. Some of the meals were sent back as they were cold. This did not seem to be "picked up" adequately.

Breakfast was a better event although yet again some food was returned as it was cold and it should have been hot.

Overall I would not blame the staff, they are mostly Polish and some struggle with the language but they generally try. We have stayed in another of this groups hotels and it is much better, they seem to employ mostly Polish staff. I think they need to invest more heavily in their staff training but I stress the majority of the staff tried hard.

We did make a number of complaints and tried to be fair but it is frankly just very rough round the edges and it is not the staff who are at fault but the management/owners.

The hotel seems "tired" and I wouldn't really be able to recommend staying here which I think is a great shame given its location. It has the potential to be stunning.

Comments