Lake 6 , Spine Road East, , South Cerney, GL7 5FP , United Kingdom

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Cotswold Water Park Four Pillars Hotel

short break

by TripAdvisor Member DianeBerkshire

We stayed two nights on the first weekend of February half term. The hotel was busy, no doubt as Valentines day had just occurred.
The hotel is in a great location and is modern, clean and comfortable. Our room was a standard double. Large and simply furnished.
Both the dinners we had were very good. Promptly served and hot. Good choice of wine and attentive staff.
Breakfast was good - hot food providing a variety of options.
A pity tea was served by a waiter patrolling with a thermal pot.
It was stewed and he wasn't around when we needed a refill.
There was only one display stand with local information on it and no info about what the spa had to offer. We used the spa for a swim and massage. The treatment was excellent and the pool OK if small.
My biggest criticism is that there is very little provision for pedestrians around the outside of the hotel. One has to walk on narrowish roadways to get from some parking areas to the main entrance and pulling a wheeled case over the drop off road was uncomfortable. Given that the landscaping is complete I think this is an oversight.
We enjoyed our stay but prefer other Four Pillars sites.

Lots of good points, but the service in the restaurant was not good

by TripAdvisor Member awizzbang

We stayed there for one night mid-week and had chosen to go there because of the setting, right on a lake.

We paid £139 for a Connosieur double which was a huge room overlooking the lake. Reception was very welcoming and informative. We had chosen to go there partially because of the spa and used the swimming pool extensively. Quite happy with it, staff welcoming and never more than 6 people using it at any one time.

We were looking forward to dinner which was included in the price and initial signs were good, but the service was appallingI don't quite now what went wrong but despite the restaurant being nowhere near full, people were kept waiting ages between courses and lots of mistakes were made.

The food itself was adequate but nothing special.

After a good nights sleep we went down to breakfast, where the service was margially better but still we had to ask for things like butter which should have been on the table automatically.

When we checked out we had been charged for something we had not had but the mistake was quickly rectified and they did apologise for the poor service in the restaurant.

After leaving the hotel we spent a pleasant couple of hours walking aroundsome of the lakes in the vicinity.

Overall a nice hotel with lots of good features but they do need to do something about the service in the restaurant.

Great weekend

by TripAdvisor Member perfect_pinkie

The hotel is magnificent, very pretty and in a lovely area of the Cotswolds. The rooms are modern and clearly very new (only opened in August 2007). We booked a lake-view room with a balcony through laterooms for £105 including brekfast. saving £20 compared to the price advertised on the hotel's own website. The hotel also advertised a double (room only) rate of £160 in reception so the price we paid was very good indeed. The balcony was not private as we were expecting, however it was still very nice and the view was beautiful. You can also walk round the whole of the hotel by the lake on it.

Breakfast was nice and there was a good choice. Only problem was the service - the restaurant was full and we had to wait 15 minutes before we could go in. Staff were clearly rushed off their feet, as we did not receieve tea/ coffee until the end of breakfast!! We didnt have dinner in the restaurant although i think the service would have put me off! The bar menu prices also looked slightly overpriced.

The pool and spa were also lovely, not as big as expected, although the jacuzzi and sauna added a nice touch. Very busy on the saturday - treatments were fully booked for the next few days. Staff were very friendly and helpful and i would definetely reccomend this hotel to anybody wanting a relaxing stay in the Cotswolds. I cant wait to stay again!!

Lovely Views

by TripAdvisor Member PrincessTLondon

I recently stayed here with my partner from 16th Feb to 18th Feb. The hotel is set in a beautiful location. I booked through Late Rooms and got a good deal for a room with a balcony (with breakfast) and specifically asked for a room away from the dual carriageway (as a previous person mentioned before) and I did get a room far away (room 320). The only downside of this is that the room was not overlooking the main view but a side view of the hotel and a little bit of the lake. If booking to stay at this hotel, I would definately reccommend staying in a room with a balcony as it is nice to be able to step out for some fresh air.

The swimming pool was a little dissappointing as it was pretty small and the steam room wasn't working. The gym was okay, and clean but no one was around if there were any questions, and the free weights were very limited. Had booked some trreatments but as my friend went a few weeks before and did NOT reccommend having any treatments, I cancelled them.

Breakfast on Saturday was very busy, although it was okay. There was a little fight for the food, but it was okay. Had to specifically ask for tea and shame there wasn't a machine to make it yourself. Breakfast is the usually fry up with cereals and muffins and croissants. Fruit was available but not the best I've had.

Nearest town is Cirencester and went there for dinner (as the restaurant was fully booked if I didn't have a reservation). We had a lovely curry! 2nd night we decided to have food at the bar so that we could chill out in front of the fire. Food on the menu was overpriced but was okay to eat.

There was still some works being done at the hotel, but didn't affect us too much.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a break but only if you are staying for more than 1 night as the check in is at 3pm and you have to check out by 11am the next day, so not worth it if you're only staying for a night.

Four Pillars Hotel - What a great weekend!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member miggy27

I had a very relaxing weekend in a beautiful part of britain. The hotel was fantastic, very spacious rooms. My husband, daughter and me had one overlooking the lake. The lounge area was bright and very releaxing. Staff were excellent and could not be more helpful. The SPA and pool were great - the best relaxation roonm Ive been in! Had a facial which was wonderful. I have already booked again for easter staying an extra night.

Lovely hotel shame about the restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member rmhmthai

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a long weekend, I booked this hotel after seeing a special offer in the national press. The hotel is lovely, tastfully decorated and the staff were very helpful. Our room was large and over the looked the lake through a huge window which took up the whole of the far wall. We used the swimming pool, spa and facilities twice during our stay and found them fantastic on both occasions, as good a hotel spa as you could wish for. One minor gripe, the room was slightly chilly and we couldn't find any way of increasing the temperature. One major gripe, the restaurant was a real let down, the food was not freshly prepared and tasted like it had come straight out of the freezer, barely edible and over priced. Such a shame because everything else about the hotel is very very good.

Nice setting but overall dissappointing

by TripAdvisor Member Ninimayo

We've just returned for a 2 days stay at the four pillars waterpark. Overall it was quite disappointing and fairly overpriced. The settings are great indeed but the rest remains a cold atmosphere.

We stayed in connoisseur room which was very spacious but no real style, no mini bar and no aircon. The view was nice and that was it. Bed was a double only which is ok but you could expectr a king size in this type of hotel.

We had a package with dinner included which is really not worth it. I echoe all the critics regarding the restaurant. The food was just average and clearly came reheated from the microwave! But the taste was fine. The service was actually speedy but almost too quick and you feel really rushed. Waiters did try hard to please you but clearly have never had any experience of service and were just students doing some extra job. So for example when you order wine by the glass, they were unable to tell you which wine they were bringing ! In both nights, dinner was served before the drinks arrived.

We stayed there with a small baby and despite booking the restaurant in advance and warning them that we had a baby and therefore would appreciate a table, allowing space for the prams and in a quiet area. We ended sitting right in the restaurant entrance, in the main alley way just near where all the plates and forks were - making an increadible noise for our child. We did ask for another table to be told that all the others tables were allocated - however all the time we were eating, no one came to use the other tables. So there is clearly an issue with the seating management!

The spa is nice and the treatments were average - quite pricey. The pool is so small so you just could not use it with the amount of people there.

We also had problems with the house cleaning - we found our room supposedly done on the second day . However, the bins were not emptied, no new toilettries were brought and the empty ones left in the bathroom. When we informed the housecleaning dept, it was promptly resolved - but you would not expect this in a 4 stars hotel.

Overall, it was a disppointing stay taking into account the price of the hotel. The hotel has clearly some management and service issues which they should solve quickly if they want to keep their 4 star ratings.

get away break for tired parents

by TripAdvisor Member dhsurrey

I'd booked this hotel for a 1 night away break after hearing about it and reading the reviews on other websites, such as tripadviser.com. etc Overall the stay was very good.
As a regular international traveller I was impressed with the hotel. Staff were generally friendly, although I was not impressed, upon check-in, with the £30 "insurance" indemnity charge they put on the credit card, with little explanation (they told me lots of hotels do this, believe me as a regular business traveller, lots of hotels do not!). The quality of decor, fixtures and fittings in the main areas and the rooms (I stayed in a standard room) were of a v high standard.
The Spa was excellent. The only down side to it was that there were no showers in the changing rooms. Just the one single shower by the side of the pool. Not a disaster, but not what I would call 5-star spa. Everything else about it, though, was v. good.
I did not eat in the evening at the restaurant. The “only” reason for this is for the many poor quality reviews this hotel has been getting in the past 6 months on different websites for its quality of food and value for money (again look at other review on this site and others) This hotel should sit up and take note!
I ate there for breakfast, with my wife. The service was v. good and the food, average to ok, in terms of quality, range and temperature.
Finally the check-in/out times are good (check-in 2p.m and out 11a.m) if you’re on a leisure package so you don’t feel rushed.
Overall a great hotel for a get away, or if you’re a business traveller and fancy a break for the normal big-named main chains….

Lovly hotel but could improve

by TripAdvisor Member Harding1000

I stayed for a conference on 10-12 April.

The hotel is amazing and in a wonderful location. The spa pool and area are lovly. And there are showers in the changing rooms. 5 or 6. The other review must have missed them as the doors remain closed, so you could walk past them.

Children under 2 are not allowed in the pool. So no point taking babies. It seems to be aimed at adults as there is no babies pool. Babies are not allowed in the pool as it includes a jucuzzi and its warm. The charging lights look amazing in the pool and its very relaxing.

The treatments are very expensive. I paid £60 for a full leg wax and bikini wax.

My room was nice and I had a plasma tv. The room did not have a mini bar, gowns and the telephone wouldn't dial external calls which I reported over 6 times, but never go sorted.

The service at breakfast is terrible. I didn't get toast or tea or coffee on the 1st morning. I received a letter on the Friday night telling me that I would need to get to breakfast early as the hotel was full. So I ordered room service. The toast was burn't and I didn't get a full selection or items on my cooked breakfast. Atleast I got coffee!!!

The staff are very polite and the hotel surroundings will blow you away. Its lovly having ducks and swans swimming outside your bedroom window.

I would definatly go there again. I enjoyed it as I didn't have the children. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it so much with the baby as without the pool, there wouldn't be much else to do. You are in the middle of no-where.

Its an excellent hotel but it needs to improve to be brilliant!

Quite nice, serviuce not so great

by TripAdvisor Member CharlieRed

This hotel could be wonderful. The location is nice, although it is currently quite obvious that the lake is a filled in quarry, it does attract a few swans, ducks and moorhens and the views from the rooms are nice. The end of the car park still looks a bit like a building site so I am unsure what else is planned. Room was nice but nothing special, no air condiditoning and the windows are a bit high if you are under 6ft.

Dinner in the Boathouse was a lovely experience, away from the hotel although owned by it, it makes you feel like you are not trapped within the hotel walls. Food was lovely, as were staff.

Breakfast in the hotel was ridiculous and really needs to be addressed. 30 minutes just to get a cup of tea and it got very boring having to ask where my porridge was continually!! Food was not great and service was awful - no other word for it.

The hotel is literally in th emiddle of nowhere so do not use it if you intend to be able to access areas by public transport, but if you have a car or want to be away from everything else, it is very good.

Comments