Derbyshire Hotel South Normanton

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Derbyshire Hotel South Normanton

Another very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member GlennTheBaker

We have just returned from a 2-night (Friday - Sunday) stay at the Renaissance Derby/Nottingham and I'm glad to say that it was another goodie.

We checked in and found we had been upgraded to a larger room for no extra charge. The front desk clerk had an 'IN TRAINING' badge on her lapel but was very pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable. The room was pretty much what you would expect from this sort of hotel - very clean, comfortable and well-maintained. The bed was huge and again, extremely comfortable. I don't remember hearing any sounds coming from the corridor during the night.

Upon returning to the room on our second afternoon, there was a message on the TV screen announcing that the pool would be out of order until 3pm on the following day. This was something of a disappointment as it had been out of order the first time I visited the hotel in 2006. However, whatever the problem was, they had got it fixed by the time we got up on the Sunday morning, the pool was fully functional again.

Breakfast on both mornings was superb. The first morning I had it brought to the room. It arrived at exactly the time I had requested and was delicious. The second morning we ate breakfast in the restaurant. There had been a wedding reception in the hotel the night before and the there was a wait for tables. Tea, coffee and fruit juices had been laid on in the lounge bar for people while they waited. We only actually waited about 5 minutes before we were shown into the restaurant. The buffet was the usual Renaissance/Marriott affair but was very nice and the food was being refreshed frequently. The staff were working very hard to prevent people from waiting too long, yet still found the time to ask if we wanted more toast, coffee, tea, etc.

We had a drink in the comfortable bar on the Saturday night and were pleasantly surprised to find that the prices were only slightly higher than the average pub price.

This hotel is not the sort that knocks you out when you see it from the outside - it is pretty ordinary to look at but the staff there really make the difference - they go out of their way to make you feel right at home.

I will be staying there again soon.

Avoid...

by TripAdvisor Member lufus

Booked this hotel specifically because of the good reports about its spa. Upon arriving at the hotel after a 5 hour journey, we were told the entire facility was out of service, had been all day and would be for 5 days. Yet no one had the decency to contact us before we arrived. Nor did anyone tell us that there were 2 big parties (including a wedding).

The reception was nice but all the corridor carpets were worn out, the lights were dingy and the place smelt like an old pensioner's flat.

We were upgraded to an "executive" room from a "club" room. None of the things we were supposed to have received were in the room (bathrobes, slippers, complimentary toiletries). Half the bathroom toiletries were missing or just empty boxes. There was one toilet rool and it was almost empty. Bathroom was cheap and nasty with horrible, small plastic sink. In Room Television had 8 channels and no more. Oh and they put us in a room 200 feet from the M1. This was supposed to be their top room, I dread to think what a standard room was.

Dinner was a disaster. 30 minutes for a dish that was tasteless.

To be fair the staff were trying to be helpful, but it was disorganised and chaotic with poor cleanliness. The hotel itself is tired, run down and needs a thorough refurbishment and a management / staff overhaul.

Shame because the chain is good. This is a bad apple in the Renaissance tree...

Really Run Down Hotel For a Marriott Brand

by TripAdvisor Member MidnightClear

I'm a Marriott Gold Elite member so I am fairly loyal to their products even when I am traveling in Europe. This hotel was about a half mile from where I was working when I was visiting the UK, and I'm sorry to say that this was the only good thing this hotel offered.

The lobby was updated recently, and the restaurant was passable, but the rooms had not been updated probably since the very early 80's (back when Ramada owned Renaissance...let this be a warning to prospective guests!). All of the furnishings including the mattress and bedding were long since past their prime. I was expecting a better room since I'm Elite, but I really was disappointed. Actually, I was shocked to see this type of poor hotel in the Marriott family even in Europe where the Marriott standards are usually lower than in the US.

The service at the front desk was bad and at times it was not even staffed, which required frequent long waits for assistance. I ended up checking out early because my flight was changed, and I called the front desk to let them know of my revised departure date AND I stopped by when I departed to confirm that they had updated my record. I was assured that everything was okay.

A few weeks after I returned to the US, I received an updated statement from them where they charged me 50 pounds for "late check out." This was ridiculous not only because I checked out early, but also because I am an elite member. Elite members are supposed to get late check outs for free. I ended up having to call over there to straighten things out. They did refund the 50 pounds to my account and promised to give me 500 Marriott rewards points for my trouble. I haven't seen the points yet, and to tell the truth, probably won't.

Next time I visit that location I'll probably stay at the nice Hilton that is only about 5 miles away. Overall, I'm very disappointed. The lesson here is to be VERY careful about Renaissance Hotels in Europe. I've stayed in really nice ones and really poor ones like this one. Sadly, the quality and consistency is uneven with European Renaissance Hotels.

Awful -

by TripAdvisor Member Madison_C

When you walk into the hotel, consider yourself lucky if you are actually served by someone!
Slow slow slow room service, average food, and unhelpful staff.
Rooms are average, very 80's style.
Wouldn't recommend this at all.

Was just as good as before

by TripAdvisor Member EmmaJames

I revisited this hotel as had stayed here about 2 years before.
The location is just off a dual carriageway and just off the M1 and you will need a car or taxi to get around. there are no walkable shops for provisions.
The entrance area is very business like and impressive and there is a small lounge area whee oyu can have a drink in a relaxed atmosphere or even better, as it was for me, conduct a business meeting even if there are others in there the noise doesnt seem to carry and the seating is done so that you are still private during conversation.
The dining area is pretty standard and presentable - prices not over the top, breakfast continental £11.95
The personal service was excellent - interpersonal relations between guests and the staff are about the best in the UK I have come across.
Rooms are an average size, i was in a standard room and it had enough room to have a sofa and an arm chair in it as well, tea and coffee - lots of it, buscuits etc. Small touches that make the difference.
The room was clean, well maintained with a feel of quality. there was no wireless internet although there was a broadband connection which was £6 for an hour which is pretty good in the UK.
I was pleased and happy and the staff really made a big difference and the size and quality of the rooms. If you are intending on meeting clients - its fine to do so in the lounge area.

depends what room you get

by TripAdvisor Member travelt00much

I stay regularly at hotels across the UK on Business (75+ nights a year).

I have stayed here several times, and each time I get a different experience from rooms and housekeeping, good and bad.

If you don't get a refurbished room, you will get an outdated room witha shower/ bath that is tempremental, and the converse if you get a newer room.

Housekeeping is just as varied depending on which wing you are on.

Otherwise everything else is as you would expect of a Marriott, especially front of house.

What would change this from being an OK/ good hotel would be consistency overall.

Watch out if it's full

by TripAdvisor Member davefishfins

I stayed here on business - excellent location for the motorway slap bang on the M1. Not bad for things to do visited the outlet shopping mall about a mile away not as good as some but had Marks & Sparks, Gap, Next.

First mistake was to book dinner - the hotel was full so I booked for 8.30pm tried to get in earlier but was told it was full even though half the tables empty and remained so all night. Waited an age to be served - a party of 10 who arrived 15 mins after me ate first - was offerred no bread etc, I was made to feel second class to the buissness men in there (am female). Took over 1.5 hours for an onion tart starter and prawn salad main to be served - they do guarantee room service within 45 mins though!!

The gym is small but adequate - 2 running machines 2 bikes one cross trainer. The gym filled up soon after I arrived in there the attendnat did nothing to stop more people coming in and people were hanging around to use machines. Several took the p*ss and stayed on the running machine for over an hour - gym attendnat did nothing. Swimming pool small - good sized sauna and steam room. Nice beauty therapy rooms.

Breakfast - had to wait to be seated - was half way through my food before being offered tea and coffee.

Long queue at checkout - so I express checked out.

The hotel was full that night and it seems to me that they fall to pieces when it is full - surely not an unusual experience?

Do not get a room on the lower floor

by TripAdvisor Member crookersnooker

The hotel was well priced and in a nice location (very close to Sherwood Forest). The staff was professional and the room was clean. Breakfast in the morning was great. However, we had a room on the lower floor with no view. It felt like we were in the basement. Also the pipes “pinged” all night and I got very little sleep. If you stay here, you may want to ask for a room that is not on the lower floor.

Mr & Mrs

by TripAdvisor Member Nick69London

We arrived at the hotel about 2pm, we were running late due to moterway traffic that day.
We had emailed them suggested our arrival would be about 12 noon so they could prepare our room.
But 1st issue we had was that "Out of the two, one of rooms was not ready!"
We booked into the one that was ready, 4 of us.

It took them to get themself organised to finally give us the 2nd room after about 2 - 3 hours wait.

Otherwise apart from smaller rooms it was quite comfotable. The breakfast make it very good.

We stayed for two nights. Lots of things to do near-by if you have a car.

When we leaft, they were runnign a promotion, and would give a voucher for a stay in another marriots hotel, BUT they had run out. since then (almost 3 weeks) they have not yet posted us the promised voucher, even after numerous phone calls and emails.

Come on Marriots get you act together for proper customer service.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member cantthink

Stayed here for a wedding - hotel was really busy but it was a lovely hotel with very helpful and friendly staff. Food was ok but not overly impressed by evening restaurant.

Comments