Dakota Forth Bridge Hotel

Ferrymuir Retail Park, South Queensferry, Edinburgh, Scotland EH30 9QZ, United Kingdom
Dakota Hotel Edinburgh
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Dakota Forth Bridge Hotel

Would loved to have stayed longer at the Dakota!

by TripAdvisor Member puppyduckScotland

Having recently stayed in the Dakota Forthbridge we have absolutely NO complaints!!!
This was our first trip away with our baby girl and were a little apprehensive, however the staff could not have been more helpful. We were given a slightly bigger room (adapted for use by disabled guests) which gave plenty of room for a travel cot and toys. The only unfortunate thing was that there were no standard rooms with baths, however our little girl seemed to giggle at being showered instead.
The hotel looks far too trendy a place to take a young child but the staff did everything to make us feel comfortable - providing high chairs, heating baby food and providing hot milk for her morning cereal.
The rooms were extremely comfortable with a Sony Bravia LCD TV mounted on the wall which was excellent once confined to the room while the baby slept. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable and the room was equiped with a kettle and an iron and ironing board. Although we didn't use it, the room was also equipped for broadband and Wifi.
We were also surprised to discover that the hotel is dog friendly.
The hotel's location was superb as there were good public transport links and it was an easy commute by car into Edinburgh. There was also a Tesco within a stones throw of the hotel incase you forget any essentials.
Reception staff were extremely helpful at all times and welcomed you with a friendly smile. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.
Thank you Dakota Forthbridge for a lovely stay.

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member PO_Traveller

We stayed for two nights in early September. There isn't much to add to the other reviewers' comments. The Dakota is a fabulous place in terms of value for money. The rooms a modern, spacious and clean.
The restaurant is a highlight, but make sure to book well ahead for a Saturday night. The locals love the place too!
The Dakota is approx. 10 miles from the city center, so you'd be well advised to stay there only if you travel by car. The trains are practically not running at the weekend, the buses are slow and inefficient.
Parking in the city during the week is not an advisable option either (parking is free on Sundays).

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member ASG

We loved the Dakota. The rooms are very comfortable, stylish and clean . The beds were excellent and the linen was expensive.. The staff were terrific, the restaurant looked great but we had no time to eat there. Breakfast was extra but was worth the money.
Would definitely go back.

A Terrific Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KatiesPal

Traveling companions in England found this hotel for us, and what a find! It is brand new, squeaky clean, effiiciently laid out, nicely located outside of Edinburgh.

At 89 Pounds, it is the bargain of Britain. When we arrrived via Waverly station in Edinburgh toting luggage, a pram and a 2 yr old, we took a taxi, which cost 20 pounds (as we were warned). From there on, travel in and out was a bargain: a nice 20 minute walk to the Dalemby train station and about 3 Pounds per person got a round trip fair (15 minute ride) to Edinburgh which we took advantage of in our three day visit.

The rooms were impressive, exactly as their website promotes. They are not "spacious" but you hardly notice because it is so efficient. The bed and bathroom were delightful. Although no tubs, the "deluge" shower made up for it (even our friends' 2 yr old had a blast!). I would have rated this hotel "excellent" except for the following flaws: the room Heating/AC malfunctioned, allowing no control. While there are sufficient rods for your hanging clothing (for a short trip), there is ONE narrow shelf, and NO drawers for any other clothing. For the short-term business traveler who lives out of a suitcase, this is fine, but over 3 days, I got tired of bending over to my suitcase on the floor to get my clothing. We requested wake-up calls twice and did not get either.

The restaurant was fine, but if you take that 20 minute walk, you can find a very nice assortment of eateries with views of the Forth Bridge.

Overall, I think the shortcomings are outweighed by the good rate, cleanliness, and comfort of this hotel. Don't hesitate to book here.

Great Hotel - OK location

by TripAdvisor Member SpringTexasUSA

Overall, excellent hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. Really nice and clean hotel and the price is very good. The location is...OK. It's about 15 to 20 minutes from the city center by taxi/car BUT if the traffic on the bridge is bad then it could be 2 to 3 times longer. On the plus side, the hotel is right next door to Tesco, a UK supermarket, and they serve a great breakfast. We were able to feed our family of 6 a hot breakfast for less than 10 pounds. So...if you don't mind a bit of a hike to/from the hotel, then I highly reccomend the Dakota Forthbridge.

Nice hotel but location has problems

by TripAdvisor Member psnag

We chose this hotel because of the good reviews. The hotel amenities were quite good, although rooms quite small , few amenities, eg no fridge, and no room service offered - a drawback when arriving after a 13 hour flight. The worst thing was the location of the hotel. It is too far from town and the weekend we were in Edinburgh it seemed impossible to find taxis. When we left on Monday morning we asked the hotel to book a taxi for us, but it did not arrive, meaning we almost missed our train to London. The staff tried to be helpful but seemed a little disorganised. So, unless you have your own transport, I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Overall, it was probably good value for money.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MikeLondonUK

What a great find – we needed somewhere to stay for two nights on the way home from the Highlands to London. I looked on Trip Advisor and this hotel was well recommended and rightly so. If you can handle staying in a big black building in a retail park next to Tesco’s I strongly recommend the Dakota Forth Bridge. By car it is easily found, there is adequate parking, and it is only a 15 minute walk to South Queensferry, a delightful village located between the two bridges. Within the village there are a number of restaurants & pubs, shops, a museum and a lifeboat station.
For £89 per room the accommodation and service was outstanding. This is a high class hotel with an excellent restaurant where you will be welcomed by friendly staff you know the meaning of good service. The bedrooms were modern and extremely clean. The television in the room was not the usual 15” set in a corner but a state of the art large Sony flat screen on the wall facing the bed. All lights were on dimmers and there was adequate storage space for clothes etc.although there were no drawer units.
Full marks to Dakota and keep up the high standard.

Well priced, Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member jkmel

We stayed here between 17-19th September 07. Although a bit out of town there is a bus stop nearby and the trip takes about 20-30 minutes to get into Edinburgh. We had also driven from Wales and the car park is huge. There is also a supermarket and also a nice italian restaurant within 200metres. However the restaurant in the hotel serves nice meals. I had a seafood platter which was great. The staff were also very helpful and nothing was a problem.

excellent choice and location

by TripAdvisor Member JGGLeeds

stayed here end of october 2007 as mums family house in inverkeithing full with all my other family members. easy access to fife- lovely 30 minutes walk across the forth road bridge or a few pounds in a taxi to inverkeithing. Easy access to dalmeny station also where you can catch regular trains to edinburgh or inverkeithing (the capital and highlight of fife!!). very friendly staff, good choice at breakfast, excellent gin and tonics at the bar and lovely big comfortable rooms. no hesitation in booking again. John, Pudsey via Inverkeithing

mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member Ozanima

Before I actually checked in, the reception staff allowed me to leave my heavy bag in the office while I was away on a three day tour , which was great. I told them I would be arriving late-ish on Saturday evening (it was 8.30 pm by the time the tour bus dropped me off) but they didn't tell me at the time that I would need to book a table in the restaurant. When I tried to get something to eat after I arrived, the restaurant was full, and they don't have room service. The person at the other end of the restaurant phone couldn't have cared less, but the receptionist got onto the restaurant manager who had a meal sent up to my room.

It was the night of the Rugby World Cup Final - and my TV didn't work. The person they sent up to see what the problem was couldn't fix it either, but she did at least give the the result and the score !

The shower controls were quite complicated (no instructions provided and no indication of hot/cold controls) so I scalded myself quite badly before I managed to turn the shower off.

(I filled in their feedback form with the above comments but despite giving my email address, have not heard from them since.)

That said, the room was a good size and very clean and well-appointed. The bed was extremely comfortable.

I wouldn't stay there over a weekend again, but mid-week might be different.

Forth Road BridgeForth Road Bridge

Forth Rail BridgeForth Rail Bridge

Hawes Inn Queensferry Lothian ScotlandHawes Inn Queensferry Lothian Scotland

Forth Road BridgeForth Road Bridge

transportation

by goldenteacher

We are coming in by cruise ship in September. What is the fastest way to get to Edinburgh?

Re: transportation

by leics

The journeyplanner on

will give you travel options for your expected times/day (43 and X43 bus). Journey time by bus is around 40 minutes, timetables from the site.

You can also go by train, if you walk/take a taxi to Dalmeny station (about 10 minutes from Queensferry town centre). www.nationalrail.co.uk will give you times, details and fares. Trains take from 20 minutes, depending on train time, one-way fare is from 3.60GBP.

I would suggest that taking a taxi then the train is probably the fastest option.

Re: transportation

by johngayton

A taxi is probably the fastest way but for public transport options go to www.travelinescotland.com and use the journey planner there. Your start point will be Port Edgar

Comments