29 The Hythe, Staines, TW18 3JD, gb

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

• planxty's Profile Photo

Decent but overpriced.

Since I stayed here recently, I have been thinking about what to write here and I am having difficulty. there is nothing wrong with it at all but I cannot help feeling underwhelmed about the whole place. Let me take you through it.

The building itself is a 16th century coaching inn and a pleasant looking building from the outside. Recently refurbished, it is pleasant enough inside although the ground floor is, as far as I can see, almost entirely occupied by an Indian restaurant / function room. Nothing wrong with that and I am fond of a curry although a friend whose opinion I trust told me that the food wasn't much to write home about.

The room itself was spacious and well appointed with all the bits and bobs you would expect. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom well equipped although if I had a slight quibble it would be that the shower was not designed for a man standing 6'5". Not a major problem.

Breakfast in the restaurant was perfectly pleasant, as was the lady in charge. A read of the newspaper and I was away, left with a feeling of slight disappointment. I don't know why, nothing had gone wrong but I just could not warm to the place. For my money, you would do better to try and get a room in the Swan Hotel directly across the road. Apart from anything else, at least they are actually on the river Thames. Speaking of money, I think £130 single and £150 double is slightly overpriced for where and what it is.

I like to try and include information for disabled travellers when I can. I did not make specific enquiry but I do not think there are any ground floor rooms and I did not see a lift, probably due to the nature of the building itself. A check of the website makes no mention of disabled facilities.

In summary, perfectly acceptable without being exceptional and probably suited to business travellers which seemed to comprise the clientele when I stayed.

Directions: Go over the bridge going away from the centre of town, take the first left and it is on the right.

Comments