Taplow, Taplow, SL6 0JF, GB
Cliveden House
Hotels.com Expedia.com Splendia.com

More about Cliveden House Berkshire

Lovely place, made me feel like an Aristocrat

by TripAdvisor Member rex_edmund

I decided to cap off my honeymoon in this place last week and I must say, it was just a wonderful experience. From the moment We drove in to the Estate grounds, I keep hearing the soundtrack of Brideshead revisited in my head. Anyways, they have lovely lovely rooms with excellent views of the park and the food in this place is just 5 star. We had a chance to try their michelin star restaurant called waldos and it was a meal to remember. The rooms and bathroom suite was large and the bed was divine! For those seeking a country house experience in England please try this place. It was heavenly!

Never Again !!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member colinh30

Its hard to find the positive in this stay, other than its a grand building. There are some good staff , but some cant speak English, some dont care and some couldn't be found.

Food is ok , spa is shabby and not worthy of the name spa.

Our room was tired and very poorly maintained .

In short a lot of guys do it well , these don't.

very disappointing and hugely overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member linlees

We stayed for 2 nts at Cliveden and were very disappointed. The room price was over $1200/nt and although stately was in need of repair and updating. There was a plastic orchid in the room ( no fresh flowers) , crispy bath towels, mould in the shower that had 2 tiles hanging off. The paintwork was shabby and 2 windows would not open where they had been painted . The rooms have no airconditioning so were extremely hot and stuffy. There was a portable TV ( not flatscreen) and for these reasons I would not recommend the hotel if you are looking for luxury amenities.
The breakfast was buffet style - nothing special. we ordered eggs benedict and it was very small with no sides and ungarnished - not what we had hoped for at this std of hotel.
We ate dinner in the main dining room and it was terrible. we both gave feedback on our main courses - fish that was fried and tasted of old oil & fillet steak that was tough and overcooked. we did not stay for dessert ( 3 course set dinner is over $100 head). Service was very slow.

The grounds at Cliveden are beautiful and it is a shame to see that money is not being spent to restore and maintain this historic building.

Its Truly fantastic - how can anyone not believe so

by TripAdvisor Member akaBAS

This was a romantic get away for the 2 of us - no kids no hassle no complications. From the moment we arrived and were offered G&T as we checked in we knew that we had made the right choice.

Our room was spectacular - lovely view of the garden - and 3 full decanters to enjoy. The bathroom was superb and the sitting room and log fire really cosy - they came and lit the fire whilst we had dinner.

It was a special treat to go - I requested (and got) a table in the window each evening and the service was superb. The wine waiter in particular was knowledgable and superb at recommendations. The food was a delight - if you can afford to go - just enjoy the food and don't think about the cost.

We had breakfast served in our room on both mornings - a real treat

We had a superb stay - I cannot believe anyone would not enjoy this wonderful place - service, attention to detail and of course the ghosts of the past.......!

Didn't get to stay at the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member IanrJones10

We booked 3 rooms at Cliveden House approximately 7 months in advance. The whole point of the stay was to stay at Cliveden House. Exactly 1 week before we were due to arrive (and at 3.40 in the afternoon) we received a telephone message from Cliveden House asking us to get in touch. The man at reception that evening confirmed our bookings, but when we checked with the lady who had left the message on the following Monday (4 days prior to our arrival at the hotel) we were told that the entire hotel had been given over to a private party on the Saturday and that we could only stay at Cliveden House on the Friday.

As the whole point of our trip had been to stay at Cliveden House this pretty much spoiled our plans. The hotel booked us into an alternative hotel nearby (Danesfield House, Marlow) for the Saturday but as a group we decided to cancel Cliveden for that weekend and spend our 2 nights at the alternative accommodation.

We had a great time at Danesfield House and can thoroughly recommend it.

We loved it

by TripAdvisor Member sammy1999

I booked a double room for my daughter and myself for £199 on the internet. We had stayed at the Royal Crescent at bath, loved that so wanted to stay at Cliveden. My other daughter then wanted to stay too so I phoned, asked for an extra bed and was, not surprisingly refused. She decided to come along for dinner anyway. We arrived in our mini and parked with much amusement amongst the Bentleys. It is very grand. The house is amazing and we were kept waiting in the grand hall which we didn't mind in the least. Then we were told that they would upgrade so that daughter 2 could stay and provide anything she needed! How lovely was that? The room had a four poster and a fire. We were thrilled.

I really enjoyed the outdoor hot tubs and the spa, with complimentary refreshments - delicious biscuits.

The dinner was expensive for us and a bit OTT. We were afraid of ordering a £4000 bottle of wine by mistake. (Yes thousand)

The next day it was raining and the staff found us wellies and umbrellas so that we could explore the grounds.

We had a fantastic time at a good price (except dinner). However there is a cheaper place to eat called the stables! The staff were brilliant and we did feel a bit like house guests. I would love to go again.

We enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingHeavy

My wife decided to book a one night stay for us as a surprise. Upon arrival our car was whisked away by the footman and we were greeted by a friendly receptionist. The footman took us to our suite which was spacious and lovely. This is an old house, rather like a stately home, and so , of course, the decorations in the rooms are not like a brash chrome and glass place but it suited us down to the ground. We had afternoon tea in the Great Hall which was superb and dinner in the Terrace Restaurant. We have been to many "first class" hotels in various parts of the world and we could find nothing to complain about here.

The staff were friendly and helpful and always in attention.

We shall definitely be going again.

A step back in time

by TripAdvisor Member Anna O'D

Although I had been to Cliveden before as a National Trust visitor there was something magical about opening my curtains in the morning and being greeted by the view up the Thames. It is truly spectacular. I stayed in ‘The Sutherland’; this is on the (raised) ground floor and overlooks the duelling ground. The room is very spacious; it has an enormous bed and separate seating area with sofa and armchairs. The bathroom was quite quirky and what I first thought was a wooden chest turned out to be the toilet! Only complaint is that the tiles in the bathroom were very cold, it would have been nice to have under floor heating.

The hotel have a tradition of handwriting guests’ names and putting them in a display on the door of their rooms. There is also a personalised welcome note inside the room. Unfortunately the staff had either forgotten to do this for my room or got the names mixed up as the card on my door and welcome note were addressed to a Mr and Mrs someone else. I was relived to find that the mistake had been corrected when I returned from dinner as I had been half expecting to find said Mr and Mrs tucked up in my bed!

On the whole, the service was impeccable. However, it let itself down during dinner. I am not able to eat dairy products for health reasons but our waitress kept forgetting and bringing me dishes which were covered in butter. This resulted in my having to wait for both my starter and main course after everyone else had been served. Although I was unable to sample any, the cheese selection looked fantastic, and those that did said it lived up to its appearance.

The house is beautifully preserved, though manages not to be 'too perfect', thus retaining a homely atmosphere. When we were ushered into the drawing room after dinner for coffee and cigars I really felt like I had stepped back in time. We had an exclusive waiter on hand for drinks. I retired to bed at around one but some of our party stayed up until the very early hours.

I had been given the option of breakfast in bed but I am glad I made the decision to take it in the main dining room as this was a wonderful experience. I took a table overlooking the terrace and the spectacular view up the Thames. I had the same waitress as the previous evening and she redeemed herself by remembering my dietary requirements and adhering to them. The buffet offers all the usual fare and was of a high standard. I ordered the haddock with poached eggs from the alternate menu and it was very tasty. I only wish I could start every day in this way.

After breakfast my friend and I both went to the spa for a massage. The changing area is a little cramped and dated but the spa itself is beautiful. The massage was wonderful and afterwards we whiled away at least an hour putting the world to rights in the outdoor hot tub.

I stayed at Cliveden as a corporate guest so thankfully did not have to foot the bill myself. Although it was a fantastic experience I do not think I could justify the usual rack rate.

Step back in time at Cliveden

by TripAdvisor Member Blackstone

I stayed here recently for a two day business meeting and found the whole experience very different from anything else I have experienced.

The place is beautiful and in many ways doesn't feel like a hotel. It feels more like you are a house party guest at a private stately home and I guess this is what they try to cultivate.

My bedroom (with adjoining dressing room and bathroom) was huge but comfortable with a fantastic view of the formal gardens. The only problem was that the weather was all over the place and I had problems opening and closing the windows.

The public rooms are very dark, but this is again in keeping with the style of the place. The dining room was very quiet when we stayed so it lacked atmosphere, but the quality of the food was excellent. And I was disappointed to learn I had to wear a jacket for dinner.

Despite its obvious qualities I doubt if I would stay here if I was paying my own bill. It is just a bit too formal and old-fashioned for my liking. And I'm sure my bedroom was haunted!

Sadly going down hill

by TripAdvisor Member freddeddz

With a reputation that was second to none we looked forward to a wonderful two nights at Cliveden. Unfortunately things change and Cliveden certainly has. Gone has all the pampering and the fine finishes. The hotel is tired and poorly looked after with many staff who just happen to forget what you asked them for. Our room was small, cold, badly lit and with cupboards/wardrobes that were almost impossible to get into. The shower ceiling was covered in mould and the hot tap in the basin did not work. On reporting these to the duty manager he basically tried to ignore us.
Although Cliveden is a most fantastic building which we thoroughly enjoyed seeing we would not return to this hotel unless to eat in Waldos in which we had an excellent meal.

Comments