Stone House Lane, Peckforton, Tarporley, CW69TN, G
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Peckforton Castle

Total Folly

by TripAdvisor Member RichieWirral

You may or may not know that Peckforton Castle is a Folly and not a actuall castle, this has been adapted by the management to run the hotel in the same manner,
I agree that the hotel has a lovely setting but the service and the running of this place is totally inept. I will give you an insight to the Folly at Peckforton Castle.
1. couldn't find the key to our room, after a considerable search we where given the key to find the room occupied. We had booked a double room and thankfully this room was occupied because all I can say is you probably have a larger downstairs bathroom at home (room 102).
2. Then offered (room107) which is a twin.
3. (room202) executive suite, Best room up to now, with a fair sized bathroom which we accepted. However I am happy not to be an executive as I did not realise you you could not have HOT water either in the evening 5-7pm or in the morning 8-10am.

State specifically your requirements ie: you want hot water in the bathroom!! In a double room you want a double bed.

The Restaurant, we are a couple aged 44-50 years and enjoy dining out a couple of times a month and enjoy Fine cuisine, Well this isn't the place to get it. The staff struggled to answer any relative questions concering the menu. The beef would be the toughest iI have ever encountered.

Breakfast: It would seem an impossibility for the staff to organise the last Folly we had to endure. Foolishly I thought that seeing how you have to serve yourself that it may be possible to have your sausages, bacon and eggs together but no, apparently you can let you bacon etc go cold while you wait for the eggs or beens to arrive.
Never again.

A hotel with potential

by TripAdvisor Member Cheshirelad

Stayed July 31st and August 1st, 2007. The castle is a most impressive structure. It is a lovely place, set in beautiful woodland high on a hill. A previous reviewer mentioned the gatehouse. It's magnificent and the driveway is actually one kilometre long.

The first room was rather small and the bathroom was poorly fitted out. We were moved to a much better room - elegant and with a much better bathroom. My wife and I also agree that the buffet breakfast was excellent and all the more tasty because it was included in the room rate. We did not have dinner in the restaurant because we had made other arrangments. As older travellers, we found the walk from the parking area a bit of a struggle. The weather was dry and sunny when we were there but even so there were some muddy patches in the parking area. It must be rather messy in inclement weather. The lack of lifts poses a problem for older travellers.

Great food, great staff, noisy!

by TripAdvisor Member luluh

My husband booked us a 1 night stay on a Saturday night as a treat after we had looked round a few months ago. The castle is impressive but is geared up solely or weddings! as we arrived check in was stressful due to wedding guests lined up making the poor reception lady earn her pennies!! so expect queues!
We booked room 1 (£120), we liked the window and furniture but shabby bathroom, awful in fact! the double bed was two singles pushed together with bottom sheet over to make it look like a double and also two small duvets! not even one double flung over!! no remote for our tv but this was sorted later.
The wedding party totally took over, wherever you wandered they were there, noisy and as corridors not carpeted, you can hear every footstep and word!!!
As we tried to relax about 5pm before dinner, we heard noises by our window, looked out to find staff putting up trestle tables directly by our window ready for the 'hog roast' supper for the wedding party later!!! we jumped ahead in our minds a few hours and thought, mega noise!!!! so we complained and yet again, staff great and was sorted, tables were moved,
The restaurant was a different kettle of 'sea bass', stylish, great menu, starters from soup, pate (lovely!!) wild mushroom tart to mains of beef, sea bass on pickled veg with fennel puree (amazing!!!) and chicken and a veggie dish. Veg not included, so we had portion of best chips I've had in ages!! Good puds! reasonably priced from unusal cheshire ice creams to strawberry tart with a shot in a glass!! very good indeed!! good wine list, good service, we felt relaxed at last and took a walk in the grounds, bit tatty but its still early days and we liked the peacocks.
Wedding party took over at night, very very loud music blaring out over the grounds but after two bottles of wine, we actually quite enjoyed watching their antics from afar and did sleep well. Amazing breakfast! buffet style, cold and hot, sausages, eggs,hash browns,mushrooms,tomatoes,beans. Make your own toast with machine.
All in all, we would go back but maybe try a more expensive room and ask if there was a wedding on!!!!

Please Save Your Money - Not Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Mandy_Dave

Booked this room as a treat for my husband's 60th birthday. Got a call on the day we were supposed to check in (Thursday) asking if we were ok for our stay the day after. Hotel had double booked us and were trying to see if we had forgotten. Staff found us an alternative room in a lovely b&b (the Wild Boar, highly recommended) but already this did not bode well for our stay at Peckforton.

Finally got to Peckforton on Friday, and there was a wedding on. They had booked us into a ground floor room right next door to the wedding, next to the bar and beneath the restaurant. The noise was unbearable and wedding guests continually stood outside our bedroom door talking. Not unreasonably so as it wasn't their fault that the hotel thought this was a suitable room, but still loud enough to cause us to complain at 11pm and 2am. The hotel's theory on it was that we had booked through Laterooms, what did we expect for a cheap booking?

We had dinner in the restaurant on Friday night which was ok but overpriced for what we got. Our room was sub-travelodge standard, very badly put together and not at all clean or well presented. Breakfast next morning was poor, cheap orange juice and uninterested staff. We had had very little sleep and went to complain at Reception. The attitude of staff made us decide to check out, although at this point they decided that they were interested in our money and were a little more cooperative. However we checked out and got £30 off the room booking plus breakfast free.

The castle is absolutely beautiful and this could be a fantastic hotel, however it is completely lacking in atmosphere and the staff just run it for weddings, they're not particularly interested in paying guests. The comment about us having booked through Laterooms so might expect a lower grade room particularly bothered us and ruined our special weekend. Not recommended. If you're visiting this part of the world you might prefer the Wild Boar or head into Chester or North Wales, there are similar class hotels for far less money and with better service.

Just one word - WOW!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Debs27

There really is just one word for this hotel - WOW!! It was a little difficult to find (even though my husband grew up in the area), but once we had found it, it was worth the effort. The approach to the castle is through lovely forest grounds and it really does take your breath away when you catch the first glimpse!

Our room was way up in the turrets (601) so even though there were 2 weddings over the weekend we weren't disturbed at all. The room was well equipped, roomy and clean. The building itself is steeped in history and the owners have kept it very atmospheric.

Breakfast was worth getting up for, a delicious hot and cold buffet where we didn't feel at all rushed. In fact, the quality of the food was so good that after checking out, we returned with family for Sunday lunch. The lunch was amazing - very reasonably priced and of the highest standard. The staff were extremely helpful and dealt with all our requests in a very professional but friendly manner.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a romantic/special occasion stay.

Perfect wedding

by TripAdvisor Member BarnsleySalem

We had our wedding reception at Peckforton on Sept 1st. After reading some awful reviews about the castle it wasnt until after friend recommended it following a wedding she had attended that we booked.

On seeing the castle itself we immediately fell in love. In the run up to the wedding we experienced some minor break downs in communication e.g. over bedroom bookings, but this will hopefully now be resolved now there is a new co-ordinator in place.

The day itself was perfect. The staff couldnt have been more helpful, food was gorgeous and the rooms beautiful. Following our wedding our guests have had nothing but praise for the castle and we are planning on returning to celebrate our anniversary next year. Thank you Peckforton.

Magic is a state of mind!

by TripAdvisor Member Padong

It wasn’t perfect but it was fun. There is definitely magic in staying in a castle and little ‘problems’ can make a holiday all the more memorable.

We arrived too early to check-in at Peckforton. We had no trouble finding the turnoff with our GPS so headed off to nearby Beetson Castle for the afternoon. These are extensive ruins of a magnificent castle built in 1225 – well worth a visit. The two castles stand respectively on the only two hills for miles around.

On our return we drove up the long treed driveway where we were greeted by peacocks in the carpark. This is a little way from the castle itself but you can drive on through the very impressive archway, right to the door to unload your bags. There is a golf cart you can use to shuttle between the carpark and castle if you are tired - and lucky!

Reception was welcoming and not inefficient and we were given the key to our room with instructions on how to get there. No extra information was supplied unless we specifically asked a question.

Unfortunately as we were on a world trip with maximum luggage allowances, it was quite a trial to lug our suitcases as there are no lifts and our room was along a very long passage, up a winding staircase and along another passage. However, several staff who saw us on our way asked if we needed help with both luggage and directions.

The room was not large but it was atmospheric with carved sold wood furniture (big wardrobe, vanity/desk with mirror, bedside table – and had a huge door. Everything was very clean and I “looked for dust!” after reading others' comments. Although it was spring, the room was not at all cold even with the window open. There appeared to be no air-conditioning but there was a heater to use if required. There was a reasonably sized LCD TV mounted on the wall, electric jug with coffee, tea and chocolate and a small jar of biscuits.

The bathroom was fresh and perfectly adequate with shower over bath, toilet and handbasin. I took a deep bath around 5.00pm and had masses of hot water. However, at 9.00pm my husband could only take a cold shower. Lovely toiletries were supplied but something, could have been shampoo, was missing. The toilet was also somewhat unique. Apparently there is no modern plumbing in the hotel, and the flush works by a pump which makes the most amazing noises which also come up through the basin! It really was quite scary the first time as I though I had broken something. Subsequent uses had us in fits of laughter!

I would love to have been given information about the bar, history, grounds etc. when we arrived, but we were left very much to our own devices. At reception, I asked for any brochures or written information but none was available. We were asked if we wanted to dine in, but after earlier reviews, decided to head out. The receptionist recommended a restaurant called “Panama Hatties” and we found this easily and had one of our ‘better’ inexpensive meals in the UK.

Breakfast was another story. Unfortunately, it lived up to expectations. We entered the huge empty dining room – no guests, no staff, no breakfast - even though it was around 8.30am. After five minutes or so of feeling a little lost, a waitress arrived and said we could sit anywhere and breakfast would be put out shortly. I think we might have ordered our hot course from a menu. It must have been an unmemorable meal, as I recall nothing else about it except the feeling they could do better (particularly after the wonderful B & B breakfasts we had been having in England.

On just an overnight stay, we had little time to explore. However, the grounds of Peckforton are amazing with sweeping lawns, driveway and the biggest oak tree I have ever seen. When we arrived we had noticed outdoor tables with people drinking to one side of the castle. Next day the tables were empty and everything was closed up. Similarly, we tried a number of doors in the grounds of the castle, including one to what appeared to be a chapel. All were locked and the few staff around seemed to be too busy to interrupt.

Despite all, I would recommend staying at Peckforton. I look back now and it was a memorable night. Romantics, families, kids, even 50+ couples like us couldn’t help but feel a bit of magic staying here. Don’t expect the Ritz but enjoy Peckforton for what it is. How many people get to sleep in a castle that looks as amazing as this? What'smore, Peckforton certainly makes for more interesting conversation than your average hotel. Go for it!

Impressive location but could have been better

by TripAdvisor Member Mr_and_Mrs_Smith_7

The castle is stunning; the location is absolutely beautiful and the grounds and decor are appropriately grand. However, we did experience a few vexations. When I booked our room I was told I would be sent a confirmation letter; it didn't arrive so called the castle. I was then told that they may or may not take a deposit and should therefore give them my card details anyway (they didn't take one in the end). As we were attending a wedding at the castle, I called to organise an early check in which would allow us to get ready before hand; despite confirming this twice, when we arrived (after trudging through a very muddy carpark) the receptionist had no record of this and it was a rush to get our room ready in time. The staff were very nice though and a lovely porter helped to carry our vast quantity of luggage up to our room.

Despite the apparent initial disorganisation, the wedding was outstanding and the whole event ran amazingly smoothly. It was a lovely day and the staff were friendly and attentive without being too obtrusive - perfect!

Our room was a slight disappointment; although it was very nice and had great features, our 'double' room consisted of two single beds pushed together and the TV didn't work. Worse still, the following morning, there was no hot water to have a bath or shower and despite the lovely wedding, we left feeling quite grumpy with the whole place.

Nightmare before Christmas!

by TripAdvisor Member sandywright

We booked our staff Christmas night out for twenty two people at £40 per head for what was supposed to be a medieval banquet. Six of us stayed overnight at a reduced rate. The food was absolutely appalling. To summarise, the food was bland, cold, undercooked and tasteless. There were no accompaniments to what was supposed to be a traditional turkey roast. Coffee was only served to half of the table and the staff then disappeared. We were told there was no wine list - in a four star hotel! When I complained to the Operations Manager that we were dissatisfied with our meal I was met with indifference and told that in the six years they had served this meal no one else had complained. I did not receive an apology. On behalf of the team I then wrote to the General Manager who to our utter disgust did not only not apologise but tried to convince me that the food was top quality and ended the letter by accusing us as a team of trying to procure free drinks from another party??!!We never received a complaint about this directly from Peckforton and no one in our team did this as we had our own tab. What a shame that the customer service in such a beautiful setting and castle can be so unprofessional and neglectful. We would certainly not recommend Peckforton as whilst the bedrooms are pleasant and the surroundings are quite exquisit the food and hospitality are dreadful. As customers we hoped that our criticisms would have been treated seriously and fairly. However, we are very dissappointed that this has not been the case.

Not as grand as it should be!

by TripAdvisor Member Lisa98

Stayed at Peckforton this weekend for a wedding. I myself was a bridesmaid so was staying on the friday night with the bride and other bridesmaid. We were put in a room that was on the ground floor and right next to the toilets. There was a wedding party celebrating until the early hours coming up and down the stairs talking outside our room. I don't think the staff realised that the night before the wedding the bride likes to get a good night sleep prior to the big day ahead of her, and the early start to the day, this was obviously impossible!! Staff could be heard above our room from very early on and I just feel that the bride should have a room away from all that the night before she is wed!
The wedding itself was lovely and the ceremony went well, it was the service from staff during the meal that was quite honestly appalling. They seemed uninterested and quite simply did a very poor job, they had to be constantly asked to do things. The food was very average, nothing special and when it came to the speeches they all disappeared so when the groom called on staff to bring the flowers through, they were nowhere to be seen!!
The other extremely annoying part was having to get up for breakfast between 8 and 10am, and checkout by 10am, this I feel should be extended for large wedding parties who have been up until the early hours celebrating and who have paid a small fortune for something quite mediocre. When the groom himself asked if they would be filling up the trays in the buffet style breakfast he was told quite simply NO! I just think when they have paid thousands of pounds to have their dream wedding at the castle that the service could of been and should have been so much better. I think that breakfast should be served rather than a poor quality buffet that could be compared to cheaper chains of hotels, surely the management of this establishment would want to make sure that the service and whole experience is as grand and as wonderful as the castle itself. The rooms are nothing to shout about and the shower was awful, either really scolding hot or freezing cold, no in between!! I think tripadvisor is great, it has helped me find some wonderful hotels and it is for this reason that I am writing this review. For anyone thinking of having a wedding there, think twice before you do!!!

Comments