Snooty Fox

Market Place, Tetbury, GL8 8DD, United Kingdom
Snooty Fox Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com AMOMA.com

More about Tetbury

Period style, with tapestriesPeriod style, with tapestries

The huge WellingtoniaThe huge Wellingtonia

Keep spring, I'll take autumnKeep spring, I'll take autumn

The well kept grounds and southern aspectThe well kept grounds and southern aspect

Travel Tips for Tetbury

My Cotswold Route...

by coceng

MINCHINHAMPTON<<<<<TETBURY>>>>>CIRENCESTERTHE COTSWOLDS11th June 2004 (Friday)
Tetbury, is almost like a small town as oppose to a village. Many tourists as well, at least when we were there.
This small town has a tourist office where we got our informations; Especially on how to reach The Chipping Steps (the photo above & the explaination below).
So beautiful to my eyes ! All the houses are clearly well-kept & Pat was telling me that it's not cheap to keep such houses as the insurance would be so high.
I just nodded my head although many times thought that I didn't really want to leave this place ! We had lunch here as well...
Braised-steak with Onion Gravy, so delicious ! Thanks Pat...
Anyhow, we had to move on...Next on the agenda would be Cirencester.

MUST SEE...Tetbury, again another wool town in the southern Cotswold.
Tetbury's history could be traced back to the pre-hostoric hill fort !
The first Saxon monastary was built in 681 on the remains of the fort.
Around Tetbury, we could find many antique shops & some of the houses are still very much intact !
THE CHIPPING STEPS :The Chipping, meaning market, was for centuries the site of "Mop Fairs" where farm hands and domestic staff offered themselves for employment. Many of the surrounding buildings have medieval origins. In the North East corner, the steep cobbled steps and weavers' cottages retain a delightful rural atmosphere.

The Chipping Steps were the original way down Chipping Hill, the alternative to Gumstool Hill. In 1781, the Feoffee financed the cutting, where Chipping Street exists today. At the foot of the steps there is a disused churchyard, where an early 18th century chapel once stood. The houses on the steps date from the 17th century.

Text from The Feoffee of Tetbury.

DIRECTION :THE MAP

By Road - Just next to the Highway A433; South of Cirencester.
Almost equal distance to Stroud.

By Rail - Nearest train station in Kemble, about 10 km.

Comments