Maidens Road, Turnberry, KA26 9LT, United Kingdom

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

Classic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member piazzacavore

Stayed at The Westin Turnberry Resort for two nights for a sales conference just after the new year.The hotel is in a beautiful position overlooking the coast and links golf course and is furnished in a "classic style".The staff were all extremely friendly and curteous and the standard of the hotels service overall was wonderfull.The quality of the food was first class and this is particularly surprising as i am a vegetarian and often have to struggle to find top quality cuisine.
Overall a five star stay at a five star hotel.

Erm...no

by TripAdvisor Member PensyGirl

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and not much has improved. From the outside it is beautiful and has a stunning view. BUT...for the price they charge, the rooms are not what I expected, especially the bathrooms. The bathroom tiles were cracked and mouldy, and I won't even mention the condition of the shower cubicle. The room was newly decorated, and smelled of new carpet. It was large and in a quiet location, but the furniture was very dated and the layout was awkward. I couldn’t open the cupboard door fully because it was blocked by the bedside table. There was only one chair in the room, so my husband had to sit on an end table to eat his breakfast. Aside from the bathroom, it was just niggly little things, but again for what they charge for the room, I expect better.

We did eat at the hotel, it wasn't bad, but nothing spectacular. We didn’t go to the free breakfast in the dining room, we ordered it in the room, and they charge full price for it. I find that a little mean for a "luxury hotel". We tried to eat in the bar, but see below.

The biggest problem I have with the hotel is the staff. They come across as very unhelpful. There were several events going on at the hotel, and they hadn’t a clue about any of them. I felt like I was bothering them for checking on my spa time for me. (Exception at the spa though, very nice staff and wonderful treatments.) The staff in the bar lost our order. That was after waiting 20 minutes for them to come over to take the order in the first place. The bar was empty, and the barman and waitress were just talking to each other. Finally, at checkout, they told us another member of our party was paying our bill but, they weren't! We all had to argue with the girl at the front desk, that we were paying our own bill. She was not happy to fix the problem and acted like it was our fault it happened in the first place.

Needless to say, I wouldn’t go back, nor would I recommend it to anyone else. Try Gleneagles instead.

not what we expected

by TripAdvisor Member travelmaddy

As een spg elite members we have stayed at many hotels.
But we feel the european hotels are nearly always below , average, but yet they charge some very hefty prices; same here.
I have had it with europe, unfortunately I live here, can't fly to states all of the time, but try as often as possible.
The staff was so so and often very badly groomed.
Everything was just nothing like a 5 star should be. This is not a 5 star, gosh.. where do they get that idea from. 4 maybe...
The room was dated, only ONE chair, so one of us had to sit on the bed, which was a comfortable one; but how akward. The bathroom was awful, horrible dirty old tiles.
The view from the room was terrible, looking at the back of the kitchen area; lovely, and that for Elite. No upgrades possible, so they said, but I was to tired to argue with them.

The food was not nice at all and for what it was, it was pricey. Breakfast was cold, because the plates were freezing, so by the time you stood in a long que and returned to your table everything was cold. Yuk!

To be honest, they havn't got a clue. Staff seem to be running 'round like headless chickens, stressed.
Some staff were nice and some unfriendly. A lot of them seemed very tired and fed up of being there, but it's like there are no other jobs to go to, so they stay?. But don't showed this to your costumers! The have a lot of living in staff, they are very young and have to stay there for 18 months. It's tough for them and it shows. You almost feel guilty being there.

The pool was small and the long walk from the hotel to the pool was the draftiest walk ever. Not a good thing with wet hair and a dressing gown only. It was freezing! There must have been windows open or something, but everything looked puzzled.
Luckily we were only there for 2 days. More than enough, if any longer, we would have checked out early for sure.
The ONLY good thing is the breathtaking view. Just stunning.

Next time, I'll stay in a nice B&B were people are friendly and attentive and you get some great food, instead of this ridiculous overpriced fawlty towers. Never stayed in one; but I am getting quiet fed up with some of the european starwood hotels. They do NOT live up to expectations and value. I am sick of paying an arm an 2 legs for pretentious crap.

Thank you for reading...fellow travellers. Have more fun than me on your next adventure. Next stop; The atlantic fort lauderdale.
Sounds better than this one, fingers crossed.

Loved the lodge

by TripAdvisor Member iamallovertheplace

Stayed at the Westin, not in the main hotel, but one of the lodges. These are at sea/golf course level and are therefore a 10 mins walk up a fairky steep hill to the main hotel. The rooms are spacious and the decor and bathroom are very pleasant.
I had the usual breakfast, which consists of a cold buffet and then a breakfast cooked to your order. On one night, I ate at the Terrace restaurant above the spa. The beef stew was very good.
The only reason for dropping a star is that on 3 separate occasions my room key wouldn't open the main door to the lodge, which meant a trip back up to the hotel or, on the third occasion, a somewhat frustrated moan to the outdoors activities centre. It apparently wasn't just me that had this problem. Maybe a tip is to get 3 or 4 keys on check-in just in case, but they may have fixed the problem by now.
Overal though, a great venue - I had an hour's lesson at the Gold Academy, which was very good - and I would return in the future.

Comments