Colwyn Bay Hotels

Our Members Say

• tvor profile photo tvor
  • Reviews: 769

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rathlin Country House: Not Recommended in North Wales

It's too bad really. Rathlin Country House is just outside of Colwyn Bay on the north coast near Llandudno. It's a small hotel with a handful of rooms and is a four star luxury bed and breakfast. It is close to a local pub that serves very good food and close to a zoo as well. Various types of rooms from single, twin and king/double available. Rates moderate. Lounge has a log fire for winter visits. Just up a road from the main center of Colwyn Bay. Open year round. Sounds good doesn't it?

They have an excessive cancellation policy which is quite stiff. It' is stated on the website and this is our experience with it.

Updated 2011: Their website states a 7 day advance notice policy for cancellation with a charge of 90% of the stay if you cancel within that time or cut your stay short. It's better than my experience below but it's still a bit excessive in my opinion. They reccomend cancellation insurance. I had that. But in my case it didn't pay out anyway. See below...

In 2006, We were planning to stay here but our trip got cancelled due to my father's terminal illness and even though there was nearly 7 weeks notice, because they couldn't re-rent the room they charged us 60%. If they did re-rent it, they would still have charged 10%. I had previously spoken to the owner on the phone and mentioned that last year's new year's trip was delayed due to a blizzard and she said she'd be flexible. Apparently not. I consider my father's terminal illness to be extenuating circumstances as beyond my control as a blizzard but i have been informed that they are going to charge me ?84 which is more than one night's accomodation was. I pointed out her earlier words about being flexible if there had been a winter storm, which i also had in writing and she backed down and only charged us the 10% in the end though whinged that she should have been specific about it only being in the case of a storm. I further pointed out to her that i had no more control over my father's illness than i did over the weather. I did have cancellation insurance but they didn't pay out because his was an unstable pre-existing condition so we had to eat the cost of the 10% as well as the airline ticket. In the future, I shall only book accomodations that can be canceled without penalty given enough time.

Their cancellation policy as of 2006 (It seems to have changed to a 7 day 90% rate):

No. Days Notice