Chainbridge Hotel

yorkshirehorserider's Profile Photo

Chainbridge: In despirate need of TLC

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 22, 2012

This hotel is in a dramatic and beautiful location - ideal for walkers, steam train enthusiasts, barge and canal enthusiasts. It is tucked away in the heart of the valley right next to the River Dee with lovely walks from right outside the door. The noise from the River Dee is quite astounding so if that bothers you I would suggest you stayed elsewhere.

What was more concerning however was the obvious problems associated with the state or repair and maintenance of the hotel - most notably with the sewerage system. The smell was really foul. The weather was bad and I wondered if the slurry had leaked because it got worse during our stay.

The food at breakfast on the first morning was really awful - it was on a help yourself serving basis and the scrambled egg had a human hair in it so I ended up not touching a thing. I wondered if others had complained as the next day it was served to the table and much better.

The state of the corridors has to be seen to be believed - the room was acceptable but drab and dated as were all the communal areas. It looks far better on the pictures than in its current state.

The staff were lovely and hard working - I believe that in recent weeks a new owner has taken over and I do wish them the very best in turning the place around. It will cost millions I suppose to make it a place that I would visit again - but if they do invest properly in the property it would be quite spectacular. Therefore I would not recommend this hotel until it is quite substantially renovated.

Unique Quality: Its location is unique

• Room Service
  • Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed

Llangollen Travel Forum

Need advice about Llangollen, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Llangollen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Llangollen hotel reviews