Celtic Manor Resort

Chepstow Rd, Coldra Woods, The Usk Valley, Newport, Southern Wales, NP18 1HQ, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Celtic Manor Resort

Great Night at the Celtic Manor

I booked this hotel for a charity event hosted by Nick Faldo for 10 of my family and friends. So 10 of us decided to make a 2 day break of it. I won't comment on the golf event here, but the Hotel proved to be fantastic. We had tea in the lounge, walks around the golf course and breakfast in the patio. The staff were fantastic, the food was great, the treatment we had on arrival was faultless. The only problem I have now is that my whole family now wants to go for a short break following our great night away, so I am saving up for us all to go again.

Recommended.

Cearleon

by fishandchips

Located in the Usk Valley, Caerleon is the location of King Arthur's capital according to some early Arthurian authors. In these legends this is the location where Arthur's son Mordred was conceived with Arthurs half-sister!

The Romans called the town Isca and it was permanent home to the second Augustinian legion from 75AD. Of note here is an ancient Roman Amphitheatre and baths. The Amphitheatre is an interesting place to visit and is well set up for a good view of whatever action would take place here. The baths have been partially reconstructed and are testiment to the Roman's love of a good hot bath.

Sporting enthusiasts may be keen to know that the 2010 Ryder Cup will be held at the nearby Celtic Manor Resort golf course.

Fantastic 5* Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Antoinette+Elton

My partner and & I have just spent a fabulous couple of nights at the Celtic Manor which was our 2nd stay in just over 12 months.

Everyone from reception staff at checkin through to bar/restaurant staff were extremely friendly, polite & eager to help.

The facilities at the Celtic Manor are of a very high quality and I can happily say it is one of the best hotels that I have stayed in, here in the UK.

We enjoyed breakfast next to Chris Evans on our final morning and even got to meet the Liverpool Football Team before they headed off to the Millenium stadium to grab another piece of silver ware yesterday afternoon!!

Worst service ever experienced for a 5 Star Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Welltravelledgolfer

Just returned from a weekend at Celtic Manor to celebrate my husband's 40th. We travelled with another couple for a golfing weekend.

Facilities are absolutely superb - hotel rooms are comfortable, well equipped and generous in size and (more importantly!) the golf is FANTASTIC!

This is where the praise ends however..... The service received was consistently AWFUL throughout the resort - restaurant, bars, lodge clubhouse, courtesy bus service to/from hotel/golf course, pro shop. Too many issues to go into detail and whilst individually they were minor irritations, when added together they totally ruined what should have been a fun, relaxing weekend with friends as we constantly moaned about the service (or rather lack of).

The staff were unhelpful, 'forgot' requests, were unable to answer simple questions, provided incorrect information about the resort facilities and were difficult to locate when trying to order drinks/food etc.

In summary whilst the resort has 5 star facilities, the service levels unfortunately reach 2/3 star only. Such a shame as simple training and good management could rectify this.

A lengthy complaint letter is on it's way as we speak........

Justified 5 Star!

My wife, our 13 month old son and myself had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Celtic Manor resort for 2 nights for a weekend break at end of September 2005. It was our son's first trip to a hotel and we thought we would make it memorable by staying in a suite- not cheap but we wanted to ensure that he had enough room for walking practise! We were not disappointed at all. The suite was enormous, spotless and very well worth the extra. I do not agree with other reviews on this site - the staff were all completely courteous and highly professional. Many made a point of ensuring that our son was comfortable particularly at meal times. Breakfast and dinner in the Olive Tree were a joy with him with plenty of food choice for us all ( Our standards are high - our dining history includes Les Ambassedeurs at the Crillon in Paris!) The Patio restaurant in the Manor House is not to be missed. Both my wife and I had spa treatments which were lovely and seeing the sun rise on the first morning from the room was spectacular and unexpected!
Small quibbles were that the swimming pool was on the cold side, afternoon tea in the Bar was not the best (Tea at the Ritz has no competition - 3 visits and counting!) and it would have been nice to have been asked whether we had enjoyed our stay on check out. All minor points that did not detract from a wonderful trip - we will be back! Very highly recommended particularly for parents with small children

Is that birds or the M4 I can hear?

by TripAdvisor Member Loll

I stay here reasonably regularly for business - so it's convenient...but that's it!

The main resort building (where all the fancy stuff is) is a concrete monolith, not my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat. The older "Manor" where I stayed is what is says - an old manor building - which if you want to use the resort facilities is a hike away....make sure you park in the right car park!

Parking - a pain, drag your luggage from the car park to reception (only a small area outside the Manor the rest is down a hill with steps!), drag it to your room (no offer to help you with your bags....and yes I am a woman!) etc.

Can you believe it in a hotel of this category (at least in the Manor hotel) - no room service! Restaurant is OK, but really I'm a woman travelling on my own for business - I'd rather have room service and get on with work. Food in the restaurant - mainly Italian - be still my beating heart - nothing original or particularly special.

The room...OK, but don't open the window unless you enjoy the sound of constant traffic noise from the M4 - how can you guys concentrate when you play golf with that row? Maybe the course is away from the M4 - but if you don't want to sleep with the noisy airconditioning unit going all night, then sound of traffic will drown out the noise of the TV.

To be honest surely they could have found a better location for the Ryder Cup?

Food and drink delicious

by TripAdvisor Member CumbriaJo

Rooms themsleves were not very individual,"Mariotty" is how I would describe them but are certainly comfortable and contain everything you would expect. Be wary only every other room has a balcony. Cannot comment on the views or the traffic noise as the rain was torrential for our entire stay!
Would agree with the comments regarding the location of the car park, not ideal. At the very least they should have a car pick up service.
Public rooms and restaurants were superb, service was great. If you are on a DBB deal,it is definitely worth upgrading to eat at Owens rather than the Olive Tree, we had a great evening there. Superb food, friendly and not stuffy service. Staff throughout were superb.
Leisure facilities were crowded when we were there and there were far too many children using the main pool so not very relaxing! Overall lots of children around (could have been that it was Mothers Day weekend).
Spa packages were excellent, hot stones massage is a must. For the romantics try the Rasul and a double treatment room.

Fantastic Place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member JSTraveller

I cant believe the clap-trap I'm reading about this hotel and its staff. My wife and I visited it in April, 2006 and found it to be a wonderful experience. The place was spotlessly clean, the decor and carpets were in first class condition and the food and staff were of a high standard. How some people can cast doubt on it being a 5 star hotel or the quality of the staff, is a mystery to me. I have stayed in some fantastic hotels and yet found this to be the best - relaxed and friendly atmosphere, great food and friendly staff. I would travel to this Hotel any time. Cant wait to repeat my visit.

Please dont listen to those that find petty fault - some of them even give the game away by announcing at the start of their review that they stay there regularly! - cant be too bad if they keep going back, eh!

Visit it, you wont be disappointed - for footie fans Ryan Giggs and his family were sitting next to us a breakfast.

fabulous, but overpriced food

we stayed here last year and had a lovely 5 day break. we were upgraded, without having to ask because our room was too small for our family and we werent charged extra. the breakfast was delicious every kind of food. the family rooms are huge with a great long (but safe) terrace for the kids to play on, there are lots of lovely touches like molton brown tolietries and bathrobes. the creche is excellent and the pool is breathtaking! if you dont play golf there are few other activities apart from the spa. Caerleon is worth a visit up the hill - an ancient roman town. The staff were very good and we would definitely go back. It is expensive in the bars and restaurants which is off putting for a lot of people but most 5 star hotels are.

True Grit

by M0B1US

"Highlights"

Newport reminds me of what people say Cardiff used to look like about 20 years ago - rough around the edges and just a little bit grimy...

But worry not, there are plenty of quirky gems to be had in this lively working class city! Well, it was a working class town until 2002 when it became Wales' newest city as part of the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations...

All Newport really needs is a bit of a facelift in what otherwise would be an attractive town centre. Apart from a series of highly impressive pieces of public art dotted around the centre, it seems the council hasn't given the place a facelift since the 70's as most of the civic areas look decidedly from that period!

But all of this is changing!

Last October the ambitious new Riverfront Theatre and Arts Centre opened and has already become a major focal point in the city. Also well under way is a massive city regeneration project called Newport Unlimited whose crowning glory will be completely redeveloping the Kingsway shopping centre and bus station and waterfront! As well as the Riverfront, each time I visit something new and exciting seems to be happening such as the renovation of the historic indoor market, or the addition of a number of cool cafes and restaurants...

Another major coup is the fact that the Ryder Cup Golf Tournament will be coming to Newport in 2010 at the Celtic Manor resort - so expect this place to look awesome by then!

Plenty of potential - plenty of character!

"Quick Tips and Suggestions"

Visit the awesome Transporter Bridge - the best working example of its kind in the World today!

Check out the expansive grounds of Tredegar House, one of the best examples of a 17th c. house in Britain and home to the eccentric Morgan family for over 500 years - Captain Morgan anyone? ;-)

Visit nearby Caerleon for the best Roman fix on the British Isles!

Enjoy the gritty nature of this great indy music scene...

"Getting Around"

The centre of town is very compact and easy to get around.

Both the train and bus stations are right in the centre of the city.

There is a reasonably priced tour bus that does a circuit of all of Newport's best attractions.

While you're at it, why not 'ferry' your car across the Transporter Bridge!

Remember, Newport is only 13 minutes away from Cardiff by train - that is the equivalent of only a few stops on the tube in London!

Celtic Manor HotelCeltic Manor Hotel

Brand new in Newport!Brand new in Newport!

newport thru rose-tinted spectaclesnewport thru rose-tinted spectacles

Evan Morgan's Bathroom...  Hmmm...Evan Morgan's Bathroom... Hmmm...

Comments