Chepstow Road, Newport, Southern Wales, NP18 2LX, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• vec's Profile Photo

Hilton Newport

Hilton Newport is mostly known for the golfing in the area.

The hotel is nice, not that genuine UK feeling though, but that's maybe just good. The food is ok, but it's a bit boring that the reastaurant only offers a full three dish menu. If you want some easier food, you have to order room service.

More about Hilton Newport

Falling standards

by TripAdvisor Member FCMA

We have stayed at this hotel for two nights in June for each of the past three years (2004/5/6). The room allocated to us was a standard double Hilton room and was OK except for the fridge/minibar which had been emptied of its contents and switched off - and smelt to high heaven. There were no tissues in the bathroom so we asked reception for some, only to be told that they had run out. We asked again the next day, this time to be told the truth - that they don't provide tissues any more. A small detail but indicative of a penny pinching attitude.

The real problem with this hotel though is the restaurant. On our first visit there was an acceptable table d'hote menu with a waiter service. Last year a carvery was on offer which was just about acceptable, although we ate out on the second night. This year both breakfast and evening meal were totally self-service. The quality of the food was appalling, there is no other word for it. Everything open to the elements with flies around in the hot weather. There was a choice of two soups or cold meats/prawns. One of the soups was barely warm, as were the prawns! The carvery meat was dry, having been standing for some time, and almost cold. The accompanying vegetables were hard and most unappetising. The gravy, as is almost inevitable with carveries, was bland and unappealing. Even the after dinner tea/coffee was self-service. The waiting staff were there solely to clear tables, which they did slowly and with an attitude of complete and utter boredom.

The overall impression was that which one might expect of a second class motorway self-service diner. The less said about the breakfast experience the better. When are hoteliers going to realise that it is impossible to serve up an appetising cooked breakfast consisting of bacon, sausages, eggs, hash browns et al which have been kept 'warm' in heated trays. The bacon goes cold almost immediately, the sausages hard and the hash browns dry. Unsurprisingly we chose the 'continental' - such as it was. Where is Jamie Oliver when you need him. One final insult - they have now started charging £3 a day for car parking. I'm afraid the Hilton Newport has seen the last of us.

Keep Away

I stayed in the hotel for few days for a business trip. I was expecting a quality experience because of the Hilton brand but instead what I got was a cowboy outfit. On my first night I was given a room that had solid BLACK lime scale across the bathroom tiles and a solid black mark in the bath tub itself. If that was not bad enough, the decor in the room was falling apart and was crying out for a revamp. After complaining of the state of the room, I was given another room (had to wait a night) but the next room was no better. The bathroom was again a disgusting state and the tiles seemed to have what looked like blood stains. In the middle of all this the hotel could not retrieve my laptop charger in the process of moving me and I ended up waiting around 24 hours before I got it back. Overall I rate this the worst hotel I have been to and one I recommend all to avoid should they even need to go to Newport.

food was really bad

by TripAdvisor Member getting-better

They did a great deal - 2 nights & 1 dinner for a reasonable price. I had been in hospital for an operation and it was my first real trip out. We planned to visit relatives in Newport and I was really looking forward to it.

The hotel looks fine if a little cheesy, and staff were friendly and helpful. We decided to book for dinner on the first night and looked at the menu. It looked fine. When we went to our table our 1st class meal at £25 per person looked less appealing. The vegetarian soup was taken off the menu suddenly, without warning, and they opened a can of tomato soup for us - as we do not eat meat. The main course of fish pie was cold to lukewarm and lots of the fish was raw - slimey to taste. They offered us an alternative, but there was not one - except sandwhiches. Desert was fine. We complained that our evening was ruined, so they did not charge for wine. As we left I posted a complaint card saying that I was dissattisfied and waited for a reply. They lost it. Really shoddy !

A Bit Rundown

by TripAdvisor Member CCMcC

The entrance to the Newport Hilton is far grander than the rooms behind it. Those with heavy luggage or wheelchairs--beware. There is no lift in this hotel. Nor is there air-conditioning, despite contradictory information posted elsewhere on the web.

The rooms are a bit shabby. The carpet was often threadbare throughout this hotel, and even had patches held together with tape. The doors are extremely heavy and you will spend all night waking up to the sound of slamming doors--unless you are still jet-lagged and dead to the world.

The hotel has a breakfast buffet that has the usual (and odd to the American palate) English breakfast items of blood sausage, grilled tomatoes, beans and the likes. But there are enough other items to make do. The staff, however, seemed consistenly confused by the simple requests for tea. As it is a buffet service, you'd think they'd have the drink service down pat.

All that being said, though, the hotel is not bad. It's just not up to Hilton quality.

Only OK Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member PeterKnott

No air conditioning in hotel or rooms, staff did supply fans but very uncomfortable.
Rooms were good and roomy but bed was short.
Restaurant was Ok, staff friendly and helpful but nothing special.
Good drive to get anywhere not walking distance.
Health suite adequate, pool and gym.

Would use it agin but not if hot.

Not a 4 star as it claims!!

by TripAdvisor Member Amberley46

This hotel is in need of a makeover.Whilst the room was fine,notwithstanding the frayedcarpet,the bathroom suffered from the often seen moldy tiles on both the walls and the floor.Very difficult to shave as the light was so poor.

The menu in the restaurant was pretentious and unexciting and one wonders who in practice would pay the price displayed on the menu,And did they really have to serve everything on 12 inch square glass plates which the waiting staff could hardly lift.

The food was totally lost on them.

On the upside the staff although obviously lacking basic training were helpful and did their best

Don`t eat here

by TripAdvisor Member downtozero

Stayed for two nights in September, food in restaurant gave us food poisoning- undercooked turkey and lamb.
This hotel is being run on a shoestring, threadbare carpets and mould in bathrooms. Now charge £3 to park in car park even if you`re staying as a guest. Definitely would not go back.

Hilton ok

by TripAdvisor Member smjak02

Stay here 2/3 times a year on business.

As a HH Gold member I usually receive an upgrade which gives me some fruit, chocolate and mineral water as well as an upgraded club room.

This gives me the ability to work comfortbaly in my room with space and desk, appropriate lighting etc.

Recognise that some updates are needed however.

Never take breakfast here but nearly always have a Room Service meal which has always been more than adequate and served promptly.

Location is near a motorway roundabout for the M4 and is near other hotels Celtic Manor, Holiday Inn and I think a Premier Travel Inn. These provide a full range of price and facilities, none of them though are near to the town centre and a cursory investifgation would reveal this.

No surprise then that this is not a tourist base as such. If you want to be in the centre of things dont stay here!

This was my first trip where I was billed £3 for parking. I can see they may have introduced this charge to deter casual parking from non guests owing to its location but surely guests should be exempt?

Quite pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member Melfyn

Stayed one night whilst visiting the area on business with two colleagues. Booked on the strength of a couple of previous visits so knew that the hotel was mostly ok but not exactly the flagship of the Hilton empire.

On the whole the experience was pleasant. It was a weekend visit and the hotel was quite busy. They were hosting what seemed to be a sizeable wedding party but there seemed to be enough room for everyone.

Paid £20.95 for a 3 course dinner which felt a little on the expensive side, but we were quite impressed by the buffet/carvery-style offering. Helpings were plentiful and tasty and service was ok-to-good.

Breakfast was the usual fare but we encountered no problems and the staff were once again suitably attentive.

My room was sizeable with a comfortable double bed. The decor is in need of updating but still functional and in good condition. The shower pressure was good and temperature easily adjustable so no problems there. The only negative worth noting was a possible lack of soundproofing between my room and one 'next door' and I could also hear some noise from the corridor. Didn't bother me too much, though. Might be an issue if you're a light sleeper or travelling with children.

Overall could find no major faults. Wouldn't hesitate to visit again if I was in the area on the same budget etc.

Comments