Cwrt Bleddyn, Llangybi, Newport, Southern Wales, NP5 1PG, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

More about Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel

A really lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member shirleyp64

I have been to a number of functions at Cwrt Bleddyn from weddings to charity race days and I have yet to experience anything other than a second to none service. As a consequence I have now reserved the hotels banqueting facilities for some really important events during 2007 - and I know they wont let me down. Amongst other things, the hotel has exceptional surroundings, a fabulous champagne brasserie and a really helpful staff. I would recommend it to anyone!

How to ruin a special day

by TripAdvisor Member emperorpenguin

Never written one of these before but here goes....

My wife and and I travelled 4 hours to Cwrt Bleddyn with our 6 month old baby to attend a good friends wedding. We arrived at 12 noon only to be told by a surly receptionist masquerading as a mangeress that we were too early to check in. The room wouldn't be ready until 3p.m, which was exactly one hour after our friend were due to marry.
Surely there must be a place we could at least shower and change the baby...no, came the reply "why don't you use one of your friends rooms".......
Picture the scene as you sip champagne getting ready to go to your plals big day,a family with by now crying baby. When exactly did the hotel expect us to check in.
Picture this...the wedding is at 2p.m the reception followed straight on and we could expect that the meal would finish at 6 or7 ish.
Neither my wife and I could drink, one had baby duties and one now had to drive back to the hotel to check in.
OK so the day is now all going pear shaped, in fact we got back to the hotel at 8p.m only to find that we were stuck in the back of beyond in a shabby Crossroads motel type room that stunk of cigarettes and cheap aftershave.
On closer inspection the bath had pubic hairs in it ,the floor had stains and neither my wife or I even dared get between the sheets..
We raised the fact with the even surlier receptionist/manageress in the morning and you know what? I gave in mid sentence and thought... one day I will have my say...
THIS PLACE IS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL, IF YOU ARE THINKING OF HAVING YOUR SPECIAL DAY HERE FORGET IT...
Peace

by TripAdvisor Member docframe

Despite the beautiful surroundings and grounds, this hotel epitomises everything which is wrong with a country club with bad management and service, and delusional aspirations.

Potentially this could be a destination hotel, with real charm particularly as there is no competition for the aspirational 4*/5* market.. Perhaps our experience was a "one off" but I sensed that the staff were frustrated and overworked despite their obvious commitment to their guests which we readily appreciated.

I can only describe the menu and food as as an unintentenial post modern celebration of 70's cuisine - without the irony and certainly without the quality! Extremely average despite the pretentious prices. One expects that one should be be asked how one's steak is cooked - but such an enquiry met with surprise rather than apologetic embarasment.

Rooms comfortable but lacking what one could reasonably expect in terms of entertainment (eg. no cable, no DVD). Decor very much in the Laura Ashley domain - perhaps congruous with its olde worlde aura - a real shame that the grand fireplace was not afforded its rightful dignity - an electric fire seemed gratingly out of place in an Elizabethan hearth.

B&B experience at 5* prices!

Perhaps nice for a wedding....probably!

A fabulous day!!

by TripAdvisor Member curley1978

We recently held our wedding reception in the hotel and it was absolutley fantastic. The day was completely hassle free from the moment we arrived, it rained for most of the day but it didn't make a bit of difference. The staff rearranged the furniture in the chamagne bar and all of our guests (120) fitted comfortably for drinks before dinner
The staff were brilliant, Craig was on hand throughout the day and was fantastic at keeping everything on track without even the smallest problem. He made a huge difference to our day, we had nothing to worry about as he was always nearby to answer any questions.
The food was lovely and many people commented that it was the nicest they had eaten at a wedding. The service was also great and everone seemed to be eating at the same time which was good!
The room was turned around in the evening for the band and dancing and there was plenty of room to dance and also have enough tables for the older relatives to sit and chat. The hotel recommeded the band who were the best I have ever heard at a wedding, the dance floor was never empty and they played all night.
All in all the best day I have ever had and would definately recommend the hotel for weddings to anyone.

Poor Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member ANONCardiff

I was best man at a wedding at this hotel and have to say how impressed I was with the way the staff handled the day, my compliments to all.

However, unfortunately, the following morning during breakfast things were far from adequate. My wife and I entered the breakfast room as arranged with the bride and groom to have breakfast together. We ordered almost immediately and we all received our average cooked breakfast with the bride and groom’s order arriving incorrect, my wife did not receive her breakfast. After we had all finished our cooked breakfast my wife had still not received her food. I questioned this and the waitress said it would be along shortly. She returned to tell us my wife could no longer have the breakfast she ordered as the chef was not willing to cook it. I asked to see the chef being outraged by this and when I was told this was not possible I proceeded to the kitchen with the waitress and witnessed some of the rudest behaviour I have ever seen from a hotel employee with the chef shouting at the waitress ‘I’m not doing it!’. At this point I intervened and said ‘excuse me this is a disgrace, can my wife please have the breakfast she ordered at 40 minutes ago?’ The chef then, shaking his head waving me away, shouted ‘I’m not doing it!’ and walked away.

After a letter of complaint and FOUR e-mails they had still not given me the respect of a reply.

I finally spoke to the manager over the telephone and she was abrupt and unapologetic and hung up on me....I rest my case.

DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL they have no comprehension of customer service if something goes wrong you will not be catered for. VERY VERY VERY POOR.

Wedding nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member Amy069

This was the venue for my best friend's wedding and I cannot emphasise enough to anyone thinking of getting married here. Think again. The service throughout was appalling, room bookings were messed up on the day so that the bride ended up without anywhere to get ready, they overcharged guests, the staff on reception were rude and abnoxious and worst of all had little idea of how to operate a simple booking system. They also forgot numerous things on the day like putting music on whilst the bride walked down the aisle, flowers for mother of the bride etc. They were throughly awful.

DO NOT GET MARRIED HERE.

Terrible Hotel!! Dont get married here!!

by TripAdvisor Member S38and

The wedding venue is attractive but the management have absolutely the worst attitude towards their clients. Although individual staff may be attentive we had no continuation of care during the run up too our wedding and even a worse level of service during the day. Belongings were broken by staff, goods used during the service were not returned, staff were not trained properly, the bridal suit had no hot water,the seating plan was not adhered too, and a long list of other complaints. When we returned from honeymoon and wrote a letter of complaint it took 6 weeks (and many prompting phone calls!) to get a reply from a badly mannered manager that was not apologetic but accused our guests of telling lies! Guests that included an MP, Diplomats and an Assembly member! The staff may try all they want but with such a poor manager at the rudder this hotel has no chance of being anything but awful!

What has happened to this hotel?!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member DORIAN14

I have been to the hotel many times to attend weddings and functions and cannot believe the change since the previous owners and George Savva left.

I have to admit that we weren't staying at the hotel but booked for what at £65 per person we thought would be a fabulous Christmas Lunch.

We booked in November and had to order our menu selection and pay by 1st December. Having had our food and wine order for almost a month one would have thought that everything would be perfect - but unfotunately the opposite was true.

Seven family members (£455 in total) including elderly Grandmother found the waitress young, inexperienced and very slow. The table in the large, lacking in atmosphere ballroom was poorly dressed and the napkins were paper.

The first course was poor - the melon was unripe and the duck starter was tasteless. A waitress from another table commenced to clear the first course while some of us were still eating. None of us wanted to make a fuss at this stage as it was Christmas and we just wanted to enjoy the day.

The second course was just as bad if not worse - the turkey was "plastic" and not carved from a fresh turkey, vegetables came to the table very late and we had to ask for gravy twice - the meal was not hot. There was no cranberry sauce or bread sauce on the table and this also had to be requested. The sauces then arrived in huge fruit bowls and one of our party took some bread sauce only to find that it was horseraddish! My husband had fillet of beef and he found to be edible although there was no mustard on the table.

This awful second course was followed by an inedible dessert course - the Pear William was inedible as the poached pear was like a rock and the cheesecake was still frozen and had packaging left on it - when we complained about it there was no apology just a "Well would you like cheese and biscuits instead?". The Plum Pudding was stodgy and tasteless.

There was no wine waiter in evidence and only one person on bar duty. We therefore asked our waitress for two more bottles of the same wine - in fact we had to ask three times and when a considerable time later the wine arrived it was a different wine and was 'plomped' on the table still corked! - we had to request another waitress to open it.

The waitress who had been obvious by her absence asked did we want coffee but by this time our day had been ruined and we phoned for our taxi's to come and pick us up.

I wonder how many other diners were as dissappointed as we were. We feel cheated and saddened that this once classy hotel has plumeted to such depths!

Lack of wheelchair access and provision for special diets

by TripAdvisor Member JjjUk

January 2008
I came to a wedding as a guest and was shocked by lack of provision for disabled and special diet requirements.

The provision for my friend in an electric wheel chair was not good enough. She could not get in the main entrance but had to come through a back door. The ramp inside the hotel was too steep, and there was no way of getting to the bar for the photos and during the breaks. The disabled toilet was too small for her to shut the door. This means disabled guests cannot be independent and can enjoy their visit in the same way as everyone else.

Another friend had informed the hotel of her diet requirements (non gluten, no milk or meat products). She was given a good and suitable meal at lunchtime but there was no food she could eat at the evening buffet, and none was brought when I we requested some from a waitress. I have emailed the hotel but received no reply.

Dont book your wedding here!

by TripAdvisor Member Castori

We were planning on holding our wedding breakfast here in August of this year but after initially paying a deposit of £500 and all the promises in the world all we received is terrible customer service from day one so we have now decided to pull out, if your planning on holding your special day here..........DONT!

There are so many bad things I could write about this hotel I don’t know where to start, e.g. the wedding coordinator running off with all the bridal deposits, kicked in doors to the guest rooms, no toilet flushes or seats in guest toilets and many more things not to mention the totally unprofessional staff and management.

Please, please don’t waste your money as we did by being promised a hassle free run up to your wedding day, don’t even contemplate holding your wedding or any other event here as we have no doubt you will be let down badly as we have.

Comments