The history of Port Penrhyn can be traced to 1713 were it had been recorded that some14 shipments totalling 415,000 slates had been sent to Dublin.
In 1720, another 8 shipments totalling 155,000 slates were sent to Dublin, two to Drogheda (20,000) and one to Belfast (35,000). Two years later, a shipment of 80,000 slates were sent to Dunkirk.
After these few shipments only coastal traffic left from Aber-Cegin (Port Penrhyn) until Richard Pennant took over the ownership of Penrhyn Estates and in 1786 appointed Benjamin Wyatt as agent.
It was Wyatt that addressed the problem of bringing slates from the quarry at Bethesda to Port Penrhyn by laying a rail line between the two sites. A stone wharf was built at the mouth of the River Cegin by 1790, it was further extended in 1830 with a final extension taking place in 1855 which included a breakwater on the eastern side which then formed an inner basin and so Port Penrhyn was created
Bangor is one of the smallest Cities in Britain however it's the fourth largest City in Wales. This great little place is situated on the North West Coast of Wales, separated from the Isle of Anglesey by the Menai Straits. It has a great Pier from which you can get some great views of Anglesey, the Menai Bridge and the Snowdonia Mountain Range. It is also alleged to have the longest High Street in Wales..
The origins of the city date back to the founding of a monastic establishment on the site of Bangor Cathedral by the Celtic saint Deiniol in the early 6th century AD. The name 'Bangor' itself is an old Welsh word for a type of fenced-in enclosure, such as was originally on the site of the cathedral. The present cathedral is a somewhat more recent building and has been extensively modified throughout the centuries.
Bangor is a hugely popular University City housing approximately 10,000 students per term. The University buildings command an excellent position, high up on the hilltop overlooking the Centre. These great old buildings are full of character and history; the University was founded in 1884.