Morwendon, Llanaber, Barmouth, LL42 1RR, United Kingdom

Booking.com Priceline.com

• Owners have awful attitude.

My partner and I stayed here for one night. The location is great, breakfast was perfectly adequate. Our room was in the attic and extremely small. The en-suite was tiny and smelt of mold and stale urine. In our opinion, this room should not be used for paying guests. Furthermore, the cost of this room was outrageously over priced. Following our stay, I was asked to complete a feedback questionnaire. Such feedback questionnaires are there to give guests the opportunity to express their thoughts and opinions on an establishment and give honest feedback whether positive or negative. This feedback should be an opportunity for owners to make improvements for future guests. However, following leaving constructive feedback, I received an email to my personal account from the owners. The email was rude and sarcastic and made unfounded accusations, for example that I left negative feedback because our room was not ready (we arrived too early and were asked to come back later - we accepted and respected this, it was never an issue). I have copied and pasted the email sent to me, as follows:

Hello To you both.

Just a quick email to thank you for your “Booking.com” remarks, they sometimes give us a bit of a giggle and yours were right up there .

I see that you felt that your room was too small for you, and that this was not made plan to you. I know that you didn’t read your confirmation email that we sent you regarding your booking, hence your arrival at 1.45pm when check in time clearly states that your room is available from 3pm whoops. As for the size of the room, try reading the description on the site that you booked it on , where it clearly states not suitable for tall people as the “ BATHROOM HAS RESTRICTED HEAD SPACE” WHAT OF THAT DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND..

As for the cost of your room, it also includes 20% vat so in actual fact your accommodation along with the breakfast that you did enjoy, fantastic location etc, was not £73.00.

But hey ho, you would have fault with something because you were put out that your room wasn’t available when you wanted it.

We are ALWAYS sorry when guests don’t enjoy their stay with us , and whilst here we try to give as much information as possible to help their stay be as comfortable as we can. You saw that as being talked down to, well that is no surprise, but if I hadn’t told you about breakfast time, where you could find us if you needed us, and anything else that might be of help to you , that would have been wrong too.

We hope that you find somewhere to you exacting standards next time you are in this area.

Regards.

Teresa

Geoff & Teresa Challenor

Unique Quality: There are no unique qualities. The lounge and dining room are decorated to a good standard and looks comfortable. The breakfast is nice enough.

It is very overpriced and very poor value for money. The attitude of the owners is absolutely appalling and I should not be harassed with such vile sarcasm following my stay! That is simply unprofessional. In my opinion, if these people cannot accept constructive criticism, they should not be in the hospitality business.

More about Morwendon Guest House

check out the dolphins from the dining room

by TripAdvisor Member britmama

My cousin and I spent two nights recently at the guest house and thought it a beautiful house and a lovely spot overlooking the water with its lovely sunsets. We saw both mornings at breakfast at approx 8.20.a.m. the dolphins looking for their breakfast... dinner is great and the breakfasts fine, owners very accomodating, even to the point of giving me a spy novel that the owner thought I might like to read,as we had the same taste. I gather the owners had a successful restaurant before this venture... it shows.... milou bottrill Salt Lake City ut. u.s.a.

Worth every penny.

by TripAdvisor Member captainpovey

Honestly a great place.
My son and I spent three nights here.
We travelled up by train from London (highly recommended way of getting there). It was raining when we arrived but Teresa was there waiting for us with an umbrealla! Also, my son was poorly and Teresa drove us into Barmouth to get some medicine! That was all in the first half hour, and this sort of hospitality and friendliness just continued during out stay.

And then there is the view ... and the quality of the food ... and being just two minutes walk from the sea ... and the sunsets!

I'll be going back again - I never did get up Cader Idris!

Morwendon's Welcome

by TripAdvisor Member 7Briary

We had a most enjoyable 4 days at Morwendon House.
Our hosts were most welcoming and did everything to ensure that our stay with them was comfortable in all respects.
Our room, overlooking the sea, was very tastefully fiurnished and decorated.
The cuisine was to a very high standard with an excellent choice of menus.
We would highly recommend Morwendon House and we have every intention of returning for another holiday.

Great start to our holiday!

We booked our stay at Morwendon House only days before we left for Snowdonia National Park and we were delighted at the quick response from Theresa, one of the owners. From the initial booking through until the end of our stay, we were treated graciously and can't wait to return.
The knowledgeable and helpful hosts, lovely property, superb views, delicious food (breakfast and dinner) and comfortable accomodation exceeded our expectations.
We enjoyed everything about our stay and would recommend this property to others.
Thank-you Theresa and Geoff!

Home from Home

by TripAdvisor Member wda2000

Teresa and Gepff were very welcoming and looked after us in every was possible. It was like staying with friends! This was our first trip to North Wales and we had a beautiful vew from our room. It was very clean and comfortable and the food was delicious.

Sea views and sunsets

by TripAdvisor Member MandJNottingham

Four glorious days at Morwendon. Our room was simply superb with some of the best sea views imaginable. Geoff and Teresa were exemplary hosts, attentive and concerned but not overbearing. All our meals were carefully prepared from good local sources. A great base from which to explore West Wales, we will certainly return.

Amazing views and breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member LBJS

I just returned from a 3-night stay at Morwendon. The location is amazing, right on the beach, and we saw the most beautiful sunsets each night. The guesthouse is ideally located for trips in and around the Barmouth area, and the vast, clean and shell-full beaches were practically empty. The owners were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts were great! It's not the poshest of places, but it has a wonderful feel, and I've just booked to go back later in the year - the strongest recommendation!

definately a must

by TripAdvisor Member sec3858

We have just returned from 'MORWENDON GUEST HOUSE'. Spent 2 days there. I must say on arrival Geoff gave us a very warm welcome making us feel very comfortable. We were shown to our room which had a sea view, very comfortable with en-suite. The view from the room was amazing ( watch for the dolphins ) if your lucky enough to see them which unfortnately we didn't. Food is of an excellent quality all home prepared by Geoff and Teresa. They are a very helpful couple warm and friendly nothing is too much trouble. I would not hesitate to return to this Guest House again it was a very good base for which to explore the surrounding area.

A few pointers...

by TripAdvisor Member champagnetravellers

Although concurring with most of the previous reviews in terms of the welcome, location and standard of the food we do feel some pointers are needed if you are planning to stay at Morwendon House.
Firstly, confirm that your room is NOT an attic room. Not only are they too small even for a double bed (hence the 4' option) they are dangerous in terms of the sloping ceilings. If you are above 3' in height you will have to stoop as you shuffle around the bed and will not be able to use the shower (go for the communal option instead). The standard of decor is also poor with miss-matched wallpaper and faded paint and all window panes 'blown' which obscured any view of the sea.

Secondly beware the hidden charge of £5 for paying by credit card. We spent a lot of money staying here and don't appreciate this - especially as it wasn't even pointed out at check out time. It didn't even equate to a % of the bill and so must be seen as a profit centre!.

Having said all of the above, we would still reccommend a stay at MH, in the right room, but the owners do need to look at some of the fundamentals.

Other recommendations - The Bistro in Barmouth offers some fantastic cuisine at a reasonable price.

A great place to stay, in a super location

by TripAdvisor Member pumps

Stayed for three days early June in great weather. Three of us in the family rooms - slightly below ground level - sea views accordingly.

Black and cream decor - very comfortable. High standards of housekeeping. Water in rooms a much appreciated extra.

Geoff and Teresa have it just about right in terms of being good hosts. Breakfasts beautiful evenings were made for exploring!

A few coat hangers would have been good in the room - and a few larger bath towels for those of us not a size 12.

Would (and will) recommend to friends and family.

Comments