Capel-Curig Hotels

• Eammonn profile photo Eammonn
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tyn Y Coed Hotel,Capel Curig,N.Wales, UK: Snowdonia's Unsafe Hotel

I have stayed at the Tyn Y Coed several times over the last 30 years.A couple of decades ago my new bride and I spent a couple days here on our honeymoon before going on to Paris and Switzerland.I have always found the locale to be a pleasant place to stay with comfortable amenities and close proximity to the popular mountain trails and peaks that we came to enjoy.Honestly, it was a favorite of mine.
However that is now changed.I just returned to the States after spending time in my beloved Snowdonia peaks and staying at the Tyn Y Coed for 3 nights,August 8th,9th and 10th.With me was my wife and daughter.This was in part a graduation present for my daughter and an opportunity to introduce this all American girl to Snowdonia where I had spent so many summers camping and climbing,and to show her my birthplace and my parents grave site in Caernarfon,just 20 miles away.
On the first night after we checked in,we locked our room doors and went down to the bar for dinner and drinks.We left the TV on in both locked bedrooms.Whilst we were downstairs for a timeperiod of approximately 2 hours we had the sum of 500 Pounds sterling taken from a wallet that was cached in a compartment inside the back support pad of one of our backpacks.The money was contained in a valise that also had over a Thousand Euros and several hundred US Dollars present.Only the Pounds Sterling were stolen.The thief then latched an eye and hook mechanism together inside the pack which we had never used before,choosing to seal with the internal velcrow system only.(That was one of the first indications that I had that the pack had been tampered with.).
When we reported the loss to an employee who identified himself as a "Manager",he stated that he was unbelieving of the event and that it was essentially a mistake of ours,or the funds would turn up somewhere else that we had misplaced them.But he added an interesting remark that left me concerned,he stated,"I could understand something like this happening downstairs,but not with the upstairs staff."He then left us to go back working behind the bar and helping out with other diners.
When we checked out on the final day we were greeted by one of the Hotel owners who enquired how our stay had been?When we informed her of the theft,she was totally surprised at the news because no one had informed her, or any other person in control of the facility, about the event.She was sympathetic and stated she would make further enquiries after we had left.We provided her with our address and contact numbers in the United States.
I am saddened about this experience on many levels,perhaps more so because of the lost of trust and security in a place that once generated fond memories for me and many of my friends.The money can eventually be replaced but the stain at the Tyn Y Coed will last the remainder of my life.I have found it truly ironic that after travelling around the world several times,I had to come home to 20 miles from the house I was born in to get robbed?.
No I cannot recommend the Tyn Y Coed to you travelers out there,I am so sorry that I have now to tell you this.Please find alternative accommodation in beautiful Snowdonia.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Mountain Climbing, Family Travel
  • Written August 23, 2013

• kailung profile photo kailung
  • Reviews: 6

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

St Curig's Church hotel: Far from the madding crowd...

Just spent two very peaceful days in this singular hotel. The reception and service is 'relaxed and informal' to a 't'. A warm welcome is provided by your accomplished hostess Alice and a lovely breakfast by your excellent waitress Manuela. Situated in a beautiful location in rural Wales - extensive views and just about the perfect spot to relax from the cares of life.

The hotel has been established as a conversion of an old church, which gives it a great amount of character. Rooms are very comfortable and well-maintained. Facilities include free internet, hot tub, pool table and Sky television.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Adventure Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 24, 2008
Tip Photo

As reception areas go, this one isn't bad...

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful