LH&R The Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 158% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about LH&R The Castle Hotel

The Castle Hotel Conwy -this...

by imagine

The Castle Hotel Conwy -this is the only hotel of any kind but there are many B&Bs in the town
Anything up to £80-£100 per night depending on room type -there is a room with an antique four-poster bed at the Castle Hptel but B&Bs between £15 & £30 per night The hotel has a resident ghost!

Mixed but overall positive feel to the Castle Hotel, Conwy

by TripAdvisor Member STregaronH

My friend and I booked three nights in this hotel. I booked in the master suite, ‘Suit Caer Rhun’, with my friend in a double room. We stayed in a number of different hotels in the area during our visit to the area, and were able to directly compare our experience.

The suite was decorated and finished to a high standard, we particularly enjoyed the lounge, and the DVDs were a nice touch, it made a useful area for us both to wind down for the night. In common with some of the other comments here however, noise was an issue. The bed was wonderful and the room has an excellent view of the local church and the castle - complemented with a little brass telescope to look through. Unfortunately being single glazed the combination of enthusiatic seagulls and church bells at all hours can be a little too much.

I would also echo the comments regarding storage - the whole suite has one (tiny) wardrobe, the signal was poor on both TVs (good job we liked the DVDs!) and the entrance to the rear car park is indeed ridiculously narrow!

Dining and service was honestly fine - just really uninspiring. The young staff (in particular one nice chap who seemed to think that the Emo hairstyle was a professional look!) served the food quickly and unpretentiously, but without any care. Having said that, given our experience in the area at other similar venues and prices, the food quality was the best we experienced bar the more expensive Quay Hotel.

The staff were a very mixed bag; some were warm and friendly, some not so much. I mentioned on day one that the spa jets were not working in my room (a big reason for booking the thing in the first place). Not only was nothing done to rectify it or apologise, but at checkout the only comment was an uninterested "talk to the manager". The suite is the hotel's crown, and at £250/night I perhaps expected a more solicitous response. However when I came back a couple of days later (having discovered some missing luggage) the lady on duty couldn't have been more friendly or accomodating. It did seem to depend on who was on and how well their day had gone!

My friend's double room was excellent - modern, clean and well appointed, and good value for the standard in the area.

On the whole I would recommend the Castle as a quality hotel, but not as a 'luxury' experience.

wonderful just wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member janalibor

We spent 2 nights here in February 08, a good deal tempted us to have a last minute break so we made our 5th visit, and had a wonderful time. Every time we come back the new owners have upgraded or improved something and this lovely old hotel is now a real treasure. The room was very nice spotless and of a high standard, with lots of nice little extra touches. The service throughout is first rate, and we could not have asked for more friendly and professional No being disturbed at 9am by chamber maids its just a great place to relax. The breakfast one of the best i have ever had , in any hotel was and a very high quality, the choice is very good. Go for the full English and not only will you get a plate full of great local produce but you will not need food again till dinner that night. Dinner can be taken in the new resturant or the very nice bar and the price is the same ,as is the seriously good menu, and again uses fresh local produce everything we had was just delicious, very well cooked and presented and the service first rate. Thank you we had a great time and we will be back

Step back in time - amazing

by TripAdvisor Member chadwick0102

Amazing hotel, in great location right off the high street and around the cornor from the castle.
The hotel has its own parking which is very important, because it is very hard to park in Conway.
The hotel steps back in time with loads of Victoria furniture, ambient lamps and very romantic.

The food in the Restaurant was good, and the service was excellent, would be a god idea to book table in advance, gets very busy.

Room – Great room, big bathroom (bath fits two and had jets), huge bed laden with loads of cushions and a tv that slides up at the end of bed by remote control. – very cool. Little library, and over all great finishing touches.

This was a superior room/suite - £165 per night – no idea what the standard rooms would be like.
Will be returning for another weekend.

fantastic hotel highly reccomended

by TripAdvisor Member mark1961

Booked 2 nights in march 2008 easter get away . The first thing we noticed were the pleasant and friendly staff and the overall cleanliness of the hotel is second to none. The refurb is fantastic and completed to a very high standard. We booked a superior double room which was large and very very comfortable with a huge queen size bed. Wonderful en suite bathroom immaculatly clean and finished to a high standard.Breakfast was very nice choice of full english tradional welsh then there are cereals fruit and pasries all very nice.The restaurant is lovely with a great atmosphere,the chef completes your fantastic stay with wonderfully prepared meals no wonder he's won awards.
I WOULD RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE AND I AM NOT EASY TO PLEASE ENYOY YOUR STAY
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MANAGEMENT AND STAFF

Average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NABHampshire

We booked to stay three nights in this hotel, partially because we liked the area and partially because we stayed at the hotel some fifteen years ago (under a different owner!). We booked in the master suite, ‘Suit Caer Rhun’. Our conversations, with reception, in making the booking were very encouraging and professional.
We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and were not welcomed warmly. We made our own way to our room. The suite was disappointing. Clearly, there is a theme to it but to us it was too confused. The entrance is oppressive, the lounge area is uncomfortable, there is no suitable storage (the receptionist offered us a chest of drawers for one night!), the TV’s were non flat screen and poor picture quality (requiring a digital signal). However, the room had been part of the on-going refurbishment so was in a good condition. The room was also spotlessly clean.
We booked to eat in the dinning room. The redecoration here was disappointing; seating was too close and uncomfortable, furniture did not fit the room with some seats being akin to a Wimpy bar. The quality of the food was very good but the experience was spoilt by inexperienced staff who, although attentive, did not understand how to deliver a good dinning experience.
In summary, our stay was a bit hit and miss but too variable to recommend it.

Charming

by TripAdvisor Member SoloTravelerGeorgia

I loved my stay at this hotel. The staff was very helpful, especially as I couldn't get the TV to appear from its hiding place in the box at the foot of the bed. The food was very good. I booked a suite and it was wonderful. I found it worth the extra money I paid. The whirlpool tub was fun. The hotel is finishing a major refurbishment. My room was exceptionaly clean and beautifully decorated.

WOKEN AT 6AM MOST MORNINGS!! SO tired after our stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Pleasant_customer

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the last ten years, and this year we had the pleasure of staying at the hotel with our 6 month old son. As usual, our room was great (and had been refurbished to a fabulously ostentatious taste), and our baby loved the comfy cot and cosy blankets that the hotel kindly provided.

We ate in the hotel's “Shakespeare” restaurant every evening and the food was delicious. (I do agree with an earlier review, however, that some of the waiting on staff were quite young, and a bit inexperienced acting/sounding, which detracts from the otherwise classy dining experience.)

I must also comment on the fantastic service – exceptionally friendly and helpful from start to finish, and so very polite.

Unfortunately, our otherwise near perfect stay was RUINED, as we were woken up at around 6 am for two mornings out of three by supremely loud noises! Our first rude awakening occurred at around 6 am on our second morning. Most of the hotel’s bedrooms overlook a narrow street, and are not double glazed as the hotel is very old. A delivery van had pulled up outside the hotel, which made enough noise on its own with its engine constantly running, but when the delivery men started to pull out the metal trays/delivery boxes and stack them up, the noise echoed up the walls of the hotel and made such a colossal racket that it would have woken the dead. We could not believe the amount of noise, and we are by no means light sleepers. I believe this was some sort of catering delivery. The noise lasted for about 20 minutes, after which we managed to get back to sleep, imagining that this would be a one off….

The following morning, at 5.50 am (I checked my watch this time) the same thing happened, but this time EVEN LOUDER!! I could not believe it. I got up and dressed, and saw out of the window that this time the delivery was a delivery of clean linen batches. The noise consisted of the van engine running outside the hotel echoing up the walls and rattling the windows, men shouting, men walking up the fire escape stairs and then dumping the linen batches onto the first floor landing of the hotel. The noise lasted solidly for 35 minutes!!! By 6.30 am we were quite upset and of course our baby had been woken up by all the noise. We decided to just get up.

At one point I stepped out of our room and approached one of the delivery men (very politely) and asked him if he could make less noise as it was only 6 am and the hotel residents, and my little baby, are all trying to sleep. He ignored me and made more noise. I called reception and complained bitterly, and the man who answered the phone said he would “pass my message on to the family”. I complained to the receptionist when we checked out at 9 am and she said that she was surprised. I think she could tell I was genuine though by the bags under my eyes. She did not seem very interested, although she was pleasant.

These deliveries are made by companies that the hotel contracts with, and there is surely no reason why they can not make these deliveries later on in the day, say around 8 am. It is simply unacceptable to wake everyone at 5.50 am just because this time happens to be convenient for the hotel owner or the delivery company. This really did ruin our stay at the hotel, and sadly we would not go again as we value our sanity too much!

First class hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SteveLlanelli

I recently stayed at the Conwy for 6 nights whilst working in the area. I'm pleased to say that it was a very pleasant experience. The room was clean and well prepared and the food at breakfast and dinner was excellent, with a first class menu. All the staff were nice and very helpful. Full marks to the hotel management and I would thoroughly recommend a stay at this hotel. Having read the other reviews I'd have to agree that noise can be a problem. I'm afraid that a friend of mine had to ask to change rooms because of the early morning "delivery" noise. Also giving up the whole front car park in order to allow a coach to park is a bit unfair on guests that can't get their vehicle into the rear car park. Conwy itself is a delight and there's also an excellent Italian resteraunt up the road from the hotel, should you feel like a change. However, taking everything into account ,without a doubt this should be regarded as one of the very best hotels in the area.

Nice Hotel, Beautiful Town

by TripAdvisor Member PJ195714

Excellent weekend stay. In centre of town, walking distance to the castle and all attractions within the town walls. Excellent room, good restuarants with attentive staff. Good parking to rear which is locked after midnight - but narrow access. Throughly recommend as excellent quality traditional British hotel.

Comments