Quay Hotel And Spa

janiebaxter's Profile Photo

Lovely Location, Excellent Value

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 1, 2010

The Quay Hotel and Spa is part of a development build in 2007, overlooking Conwy Marina. I stayed here for one night on my way from Manchester to Morfa Nefyn as it is approx 1.5 hours drive from each place.
My ground floor room was a really good size, light and tastefully furnished with a very large bathroom. The patio doors opened onto a courtyard with a fountain. I found the room had everything I needed - 2 complimentary bottles of water, bath robe, tea and coffe, plenty of towels and cushions, lots of wardrobe space, good heating, good lighting, safe, fridge and an excellent hairdryer. The bed was really comfy too and everything was spotlessly clean.
There is a smallish gym, but with plenty of equipment and free weights, a sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and 15m pool. It was quite busy Saturday afternoon but luckily children are restricted to certian times in the pool so I almost had the pool to myself after 6 O'clock.
The Spa is lovely with plenty of treatment rooms and lots of treatments to choose from. I had a 30 minute back massage and 30 minute facial included in my room rate and these were both very good.
The restaurant has large windows overlooking the Marina and the hills beyond. The menu contains lots of local produce - Welsh black beef and welsh cheeses as well as locally grown vegetables. I had crab linguine with chilli, and chicken coq au vin and both were very good, particularly the side dish of carrots. There is a good choice of steaks - fillet, ribeye, sirloin and rump and two sizes of each, as well as pork belly and pastas.
The wine list is arranged according to how full bodied the wines are which I always think is a good idea but the full bodied reds were a little pricey starting at £28. I had the Eagles Point Cabernet Merlot which was very nice and £17.
My two criticisms are the restaurant was far too cold and for that reason a bit uncomfortable, and the service was a bit sloppy. They were slow to take my order and bring the first course and forget my wine altogether. However the staff were very pleasant and apologetic.
Breakfast was also good, although I didn't try the full cooked version I just had cheese and ham with toast and coffee.

Unique Quality: My weekend package was called the Escape Spa package and included room, dinner, breakfast, a massage and a facial for £120 for one night which I thought was excellent value.
I really liked the large bedroom and bathroom and the cleanliness and decor - the welsh slate table mats were really lovely.
Reception was very efficient, helpful and friendly. Booking was very easy, as was check in and check out.
I would definitely return.

Nearby Quay Hotel And Spa

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Conwy Travel Forum

Need advice about Conwy, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Conwy and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Conwy hotel reviews

Glan Heulog Guest House
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Rosedene Hotel (Non Smoking)
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Crabbing
Town Walls
Climb the Walls!
Things to Do
Climb the towers of the Castle
The Local Armoury