Llanberis near Caernarfon, Llanberis, LL55 4TY, United Kingdom

Costs 58% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about The Legacy Royal Victoria Hotel

Load of old tat

by TripAdvisor Member moorHOTELS

We booked 2 rooms via superbreak and asked for a adjoining rooms. We got to the place and they couldn't find the booking; thankfully they managed to find it.

When we saw the rooms we nearly cried. They were at the opposite corners of the place. The room was also really poor and small. I've stayed in better tacky blackpool B&B's. When I called the front desk I explained that my kids were quite small and we needed close rooms. The silly woman explained that the rooms had already been allocated and we couldn't move (despite the guests having not yet arrived !!!!). SWAP THE ROOMS OF THE GUESTS THAT HAVE NOT ARRIVED ...... I said. It surely wasn't rocket science. Eventually we go two rooms next to each other and the room was much better!!!!! There are definitely 2 classes of rooms and the fuddy duddy coach parties obviously get the good ones!!

The hotel has a lovely setting but it is way out of date. It's like a 20 quid B&B. Llanberis is OK but over rated. 2 adults and 2 kids on the 5 mile return train trip to Snowdon..... guess how much???
I thought the guy said £17 but the boyooh said £70 !!!! OMG......I've had cheaper RyanAir family tickets. Wait until you get to the top of Snowdon................. it's cr*p. There are a few dozen peaks in the lake district which would put this dump to shame.

Don't stay in the quality hotel because it is terrible. The Hotels and the pubs in Llanberis look really good. [----------] have rooms and they do fab food!!!!!!

Relaxing break

by TripAdvisor Member bykergt750

I wanted to book a short break before my husband went into hospital for surgery
I had found a good offer at this hotel (£74 for 2 night dinner b&B) but was undecided after reading reviews on trip advisor.
I decided to go for it but only to book 2 nights not longer. Big mistake!!!!!!
Our room was newly refurbished. Very large with a sofa (which converted to a bed for children) It was at the front of the hotel with dual aspect. (Do I sound like an estate agent?) The decoration, carpets, curtains etc were of a high quality. The large bathroom had fitted futniture and was as nice, if not nicer, than home.
The breakfast was cooked fresh, not kept warm under lights.
The evening table d'hote menu had lots of choice but for an extra £5 you could choose from the a la carte. Larger portions and more choice.
The hotel had smoking and non smoking bars, something I have never seen before, and very welcome as my husband has cancer.
It was an enjoyable couple of days and I cannot wait to return.

Step back in time

by TripAdvisor Member HPsaucy

We needed to find somewhere to stay last minute and this was the only place we could get a room. They said that the twin room they had was also the only room left.
We arrived and had to battle our way past the wedding party from hell - all drunk and interbred, with a very strange taste in clothes!!! We were given the keys and a brief explaination of how to get to room 415 - "it's a few minutes walk but at least you will be nice and quiet". Well a good 10 minutes later we arrived at a separate building having been down a musty, damp corridor that looked like it hadn't been decorated in a long time!! We then had to go down some very dodgy stairs and to a room at the very end. I could tell that it wasn't going to be good - the room smelt even worse than the corridor above and looked like it hadn't been slept in in years. It was awful and we wouldn't have stayed there for free. We went straight back to reception, past the weirdo wedding and drove away as fast as we could.
My advice - don't even think about staying here, it is old, tired and scary!!!

Could be a little gem

by TripAdvisor Member Merseyventure

Booked a nights stay here directly with the hotel as we were researching accommodation in the local area - a special deal on the website included B&B, evening meal, and complimentary bottle of wine per couple.

On arrival, there was no record of our booking.

The only lift was defective, causing big problems for many of the aged clients staying in the hotel, and help up and down the stairs from hotel staff was not readily available, leaving some clients stranded on the ground floor.

When eventually sorted with a room, it was very dissappointing, with a terrible musty smell, and damp underneath the peeling wallpaper. I understand rooms vary greatly here - we did not get one of the refurbished ones - and did not even bother to ask to see any others.

TV reception was limited, and the remote control did not work. We were provided with complimentary tea/coffee facilities as detailed, but the kettle did not work. We rang reception asking for a replacement - 3 times - but none turned up. Eventually I took the defective kettle to reception for a replacement, and was assurred one would be brought up to my room. It never arrived.

Evening meal was poor, although the conservatory has great potential to be a lovely place to eat. Fish was still frozen in the middle. Service was good when it arrived - but we were left unattended for very long periods.

Breakfast was very poor too. On departure we were billed for our complimentary bottle of house wine, not good. We made the duty manager aware of our findings, and she was not at all interested.

Overall, this really could be a great place. It's imposing location is impressive, and it has a huge passing trade from the Snowdonia Mountain Railway. With the right investment, and the right management, the Victoria could rightly command £110 per room per night. As it is, they have a captive client base of organised tours and foreign visitors willing to pay this - so see no need to improve things.

On the plus side - this hotel has a perfect location for walkers, and for visitors wishing to travel on the Mountain Railway. It is ideal as a finish venue for a Three Peaks Challenge, and is a great location for a wedding, with wonderful, well maintained gardens and lawns.

Great shame though. Walkers would get better value by checking out other close-by B&B's, and romantic couples would be well advised to do some research into other, real 'Quality' hotels which can be found within 10 miles of the Vic.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member SASHA73

Had a pleasant two night stay at the Royal Victoria. The reception staff were very nice and helpful.

Our room was nice enough, clean and comfortable. Similar to a travel lodge in decor. The corridors through the hotel and bars, and lounges in the hotel are a littled dated, and could do with redecorating. Bar food was nice for the money. Evening meal at hotel restaurant was quite nice. Two different menus, set price £15.95 or £19.95 (more choice).

Excellent location for Mount Snowdon. Hard work to climb by the way but worth it, when you get to the top!!

A few gift shops, but pretty small & quiet place.

Not a bad hotel for the price, just middle of the road, if thats what your wanting.

Two different standards on offer

by TripAdvisor Member littlerussell

I was very disappointed that this hotel did not live up to its star rating and reputation.
Although I could see into some very well presented rooms as I walked through the building when the cleaners were working, the room I was offered was in a separate block a long walk & several sets of stairs away from the main entrance. The fixtures and fittings were very dated and had not been updated for some time. The shower only offered hot water at certain times of the day. It was a bit like being in a guest house or youth hostel.
It would appear to a be a bit of a gamble whether those who book with the hotel actually get to stay in a 4* hotel or simply the adjoining block. Given that the prices are the same, I found this completely unacceptable.
On the plus side, the location was excellent and the breakfast nice!

Quality - you're having a laugh!

by TripAdvisor Member Dragona

Stayed at this hotel for a reunion. The hotel is well situated near the Snowdon railway and the footpath up to the summit. The scenery is gorgeous but that's where it ends. The hotel is very poor quality, from the bedrooms which are small and very dull to the public rooms which are large and very dull. The staff were friendly enough but didn't exactly go out of their way to help. The atmosphere is non-existent, and the dining rooms were no better than school refectories with very harsh lighting. The so called full Welsh breakfast was served on such a small plate it couldn't even be described as a child's portion and you had to beg / cajole the staff if you wanted more than 1rasher, 1 sausage and 1 egg!

We would only recommend this hotel to cash strapped students as it is no better than halls of residence but with rooms costing ~ £90/night they probably couldn't afford it! If by some misfortune you do end up staying there, make sure you don't get the bedroom which also serves as the fire escape.!

Quite good

by TripAdvisor Member BarrelMaker

Pleasantly located with ample parking.

Maybe we were lucky but the room that we had was on the front of the main building and had excellent views. The room was very spacious and well appointed.

The bar was a bit sparse but the bar meals were good value.

The breakfast was average but the conservatory area that it was served in made up for it.

On the negative side: The sound insulation from the next room left a lot to be desired. Also I stopped a member of staff in the corridor who would not speak with me to answer a question as she was off duty and referred me to reception. However, the other staff were obliging.

Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member KRSHE

I attended a wedding here, cost a lot of money for a package where you are supposed to be able to leave eveything to the staff to provide a memorable day. The ceremony was nice but after that next few hours were flat until the evening. Wedding was at 12 but the food wasn't available until 3pm. There was a lot of just hanging about with many people really hungry, breakfast (for those who had time) had been very early in the rush to get to an early wedding from long distances. When food was ready the waiting staff literally did that - waited. They stood against the wall and made no attempt to help with serving etc. Dirty plates were left piled on the tables until we had to request they were moved. there was loads of food over and we asked that it be covered and taken into the other room for the people who were coming later. The staff refused to do this and said we could not take it and it was thrown away, even though it was already paid for. Most of the children did not eat as they had been eating crisps etc to stave of the hunger of waiting so long for the food.

The staff were surly, and slow and made no effort to be pleasant at all. We enjoyed ourselves because of the company we were with but the hotel staff could have made things much nicer.

I live locally and know that they have weddings all year round, they should have it down to a fine art now. Many guests were booked to stay there and I pursuaded them to stay at the Alpine lodge instead, althogether a nicer, cleaner and more welcoming place. The Victoria (Quality Inn - (joke) ) is over priced, over rated and out-dated

Fawlty Towers

by TripAdvisor Member walkerSuffolk

Thought we would pay a bit more to get a nice hotel and the location is excellent. The hotel looked very imposing in the photos. Checked in and decided to have dinner in the hotel though we weren't that hungry. The restaurant offerred a la carte which turned out to be a set priced menu with extra charges for different dishes. We could hardly see out of the windows they were so dirty. My children had the fruit juice as a starter (complete with doilly, very 1970's) and then tuna salad which came with roast potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots! The family room was large and comfortable but in need of redecoration and was right beside the loading bay for the laundry and kitchen so from 6.30 it sounded as if a lorry was reversing beside the bed. As we were walking Snowdon we asked for a mountain forecast and were told that they didn't have one and they had no access to the internet. Very shabby and wouldn't stay again.

Comments