Fourteen Guest House

The beachThe beach

Travel Tips for Llandudno

A pub walk with a view

by Arawn

Visit Ochr Penrhyn - Penrhyn side between Llandudno and Colwyn Bay. Walk up the Cow's Nose (Trwyn y Fuwch is the Welsh name for the Little Orme).
There are two pubs here with good ales, one has cider from casks too. If you walk up the hill behind the pub all the way to the top you get a great view.

In the 16th century William Davies published a catholic book in Welsh (how more provocative can you get?) in a cave here. He lasted a while before being arrested and executed and ended up having his body parts displayed at various castles around North Wales.

The main beach

by lomi

The biggest reason why most people visit Llandudno is to spend time on the beach. H'm, the name 'North Shore' is not a very exciting name for such a beautiful stretch of coast near the main shopping district!

It is a 3 mile long crescent of sand, pebbles and rock. There is large paddling pool and a cafe which is open in the summer which are located towards the little Orme end, called Craig-y-don.
You mind find the Punch and Judy show in action in the summer too.

A long walk along the beach more than makes up for eating high calorie doughnuts and pink candyfloss that you can buy from stalls on the 120 year old pier near the Grand Hotel. There is also a Cafe bar at the far end of the pier and along the way where you can still play innocent games in the amusement arcade with one arm bandits and electronic games.

Great Orme Kashmiri goats II

by munki

They are easily recognised by their white long shaggy coats that without a doubt will help the animals to survive the cold and harsh winter weather.
Young goats are seen together in small herds but females like to be left alone with their offspring and tend to socialize just during the October breeding season.

Wales and Llandudno

by vivimero

"Llandudno"

this is a map of the town.
we stayed at the County hotel ..a place for old people and I won't recomend the food there. But it's convenient to the shore, walking distance from the centre.

"The steam train around Snowdonia"

Departing from Porthmadog

"Viviana"

"Viviana"

"My journal"

12/8/2001
Tina is late, almost noon wow! Now..my stomach is aching-we are here in the living room of the hotel to wait for her. The manager here looks like our old friend Daniele BUT this one has a ¡§off¡¨ glance that reminds us of a drunk man. And considering how he looks at the hotel¡¦food and small little things¡KI don¡¦t think that jumping on a bus while you are arriving and leaving is incredibly hard to do..
Amo is hungry and we cannot move as she¡¦s coming. If I had known she was coming after 12 I would have gone to make the tour on the BIG ORME and the Marine Coastal Road that lasted 2 hours so we should have been back on time anyway.
Well, we slept instead.

„' Minette Walters
„' Sushi for beginners
„' Lynda LaPlante

14/8/2001

Bets-y-Cowd -> we visited the village, there is a river, a lot of green around, spot perfect for hikers that depart for walks in the woods. (and the shops says that as you can find all for trekkers!) . The perfect place for Stefano Facchini and Marisa. Then we passed close to the lake where they played FIRST KNIGHT, with Richard Gere. I remember that lake¡Kyes! The landscape was really nice, too bad that the driver was not stopping for pictures at all, just 1 or 2 in the whole day and without the camcorder you cannot really take pictures from a coach. Next time, when we will go with Rob & Liz I am sure we were be able to see and do more. Lunch stop in Porthmadog (Jenny¡¦s as suggested by Dave, the guide but I didn¡¦t like it too much because the menu was not what I wanted, I wanted toasties with melted cheese, like our plain italian toast and I had to order a FULL BURGER WITH TONS OF THINGS because all the other stuff were a kind of stew that I don¡¦t like. Paolo noticed that a lot of young boys were working there, and they seemed really not working age¡K.
That¡¦s makes me upset about foreigners. If you have a child you are obliged, for me to maintain him and his vices, hobbies studies and all. Because that¡¦s the rule. Too easy to have a child and washing hands on the expenses that that¡¦s means. It¡¦s incredibly expensive to have a teen-ager at home, but who told you to have kids?
They have the right to spend the summer time on vacation, seeing friends¡Kworking in a cafe¡¦ is not the right idea of being a teen-ager. You have to work hard already all your life. I can imagine, well, maybe the boy doesn¡¦t want to study so¡Klike a kind of punishment , he will works during the summer (to appreciate the studies..and the student¡¦s world more!)
The government in the UK and USA should do something. Parents¡Kput hands in the wallet because you made them¡Kyou pay for them!
We passed by Porthmadog even on sunday with Tina to go to Portmerion.
In the afternoon we did the small steam train cruise of 1 hour (I was able to take pictures from the window ¡V open- of the train.)

16/8/2001

Another included tour of Wallace Arnold with our Dave! Angelsey and island united to the mainland with the old Britannia¡¦ Bridge, the first 2 levels bridge in Europe, with a layer for cars and one for the railroad. Angelsey was, for me, really charming and a perfect place to have a house. View on the sea, private pier and a small boat. Green ¡Ktrees¡KI liked there. Can be also because there was the sun..No, Wales has really wonderful spots.
We drove by:
„' Penryn Castle ( I had seen some brochures and the place is really nice, just, as usual, we didn¡¦t stop. Another place to see when we will visit Rob & Liz.) I am worried, by the way, Rob are 2-3 days that is missing!
„' Beaumaris a nice small village with a castle. On the sea. A grass that greener is impossible. I really am amazed by the wonderful colour of grass in Wales. The wine shop had a huge cat, almost like the one of Aunt Norma. It seemed part of a lion¡¦ family.

Readings about Wales:

Richard Llewellyn
How green was my valley

17/8/2001

On the way back to London our drive/guide/expert of Wales Dave joked with all the old ladies in the coach. He had a voice that you could have considered sexual, probably to awake the ladies of the party, any end of the sentence would have been mousturazing, sweet, sensual, too bad I didn¡¦t had the tape recorder because was something to listen. Anyway, on the freeway he said that his mother-in-law was living close by and that she was always out in the garden every friday morning to greet him as he was used to drive back to London the groups. So he said that the old lady liked a lot to be waved by the tourists and if we were so kind to do so.
Everybody was looking outside and then he said¡K¡¨ Oh, she is wearing her brand new coat¡¨ and guess what?
It was a dinosaur, plastic-statue to advertise a zoo or a restaurant!
The ladies were delighted. Then we drove close to the Marble church and he said the story of the war prisoners that were there waiting to be taken back home after the war. He said canadian and american, Liza said italians. They had a bad influenza and they all died. They are all buried in the cemetery of the marble church.
Then, we drove close by the village of Ross-y-Moor.
Dave said that this small tiny place was in the news for the miracle of Mr. John Lewis. This man was buttering his toast one morning and the slice fell on the carpet but with the buttered face UP and suddenly the man called his wife and said to her that this was a miracle. The wife was not too keen, and he said:
¡§ had ever happened to you that a slice fell was on the side UP so that the carpet was not all greasy?¡¨
Stunned, the wife said NO.
¡§So, this is a miracle.¡¨
The vicar was stunned too. Something like that actually never happened before so he took the matter to the Bishop. The Bishop agreed that never happened to him neither to let fell a slice of buttered bread and that that was not falling on the wrong side. But to say that it was a miracle..well, he didn¡¦t have the power.
So they wrote to the Pope. After some weeks Mr. Lewis got a letter from the Vatican:

¡§ Dear Mr. Lewis,
we all agree that what happened to you can be considered a miracle but in your case it was your fault, you buttered the bread on the wrong side.¡¨

The ladies were delighted.
WE found a very bad crash on the motorway so we could not arrive on time back to London. All the roads were closed and the coach that was supposed to drive us back to Russell Square was stuck in the trafic jam , and so we were the last ones to leave the parking place to go back home.
And was even hot! Then we reached again The Regency and we found the philipino¡¦ dwarf that was terrible. He wanted the tip just because he took up to the room the suitcases. I know that it¡¦s used BUT with all that I paid for the hotel, this is service and that is his job. I don¡¦t get tips to move a colleague from a branch to another ( that would be profitable!!!ƒº ) and his job probably is less paid than others because he studied less, because requires less skills ect¡K
I think like that. Anyway, he was looking bad at us for 2 days. He didn¡¦t even wanted to give us the suitcases when we stored them before going to the airport (finished¡K.sigh,sigh,sigh!).
Udu came to help us with them, he came with us to the airport but then left. I saw him quite depressed for the dumping of this Deborah. And then¡Kno news from him¡K

Infusion for tea 2,750

lunch 12,700
grocery wales 5,770
ice lollipop 0,800

878,378

And they are not all¡KI honestly left out something because I forgot. Just to show how was expensive¡Kmaybe for you not, as you don¡¦t live in Italy.

The village with the longer name.
beware of the shop...some things are cheap and some are not.

"Portmeiron"

A nice village...It's mentioned in my journal...somewhere...I had got a bad cold but really it was a nice place to visit with the sun.
Tina and Steve took us there

"A day trip to Snowdonia"

Comments