Grand Hotel Llandudno

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Prime location

Llandudno has accomodation for all budgets .
    The Grand has the best position though, right on the front on the north shore promenade, by the pier and with the Great Orme looming behind.

Directions: Just by the pier

More about Grand Hotel Llandudno

not good

by TripAdvisor Member jmpNottinghamNg158dd

4 60yr olds stayed at the Grand Hotel Llandudno wales for 3nights 30thdecember 2006 to 2nd January 2007.It was a new years break. It cost 234pounds per person.breakfast and evening meal. The food was good. The rooms okay, you had a T.V,tea making facilities plus the normal basics. The view from the window was a wall (no view at all).The reason I am writing this is that the hotel had an infection (gastroenteritis).They did not let us know this before we went, where we could have had a choice of whether to go or not. 3 out of the four of us got the bug in the 3days that we were there,plus alot of other guests.It ruined the holiday.
very dissapointed guests.

Not So Grand

by TripAdvisor Member scousemouth

My wife and I stayed at this hotel - booked for one night. We arrived at 1.45pm only to be told that we could not check in until 4pm and should check out by 10am the next day. OK we are paying to be in a hotel for 18 hours WOW how enjoyable can this place be.

Well the room is like a prison cell 10 feet by 10 feet but with a sea view (£10 extra) the view is obscured by the TV - I've no idea why because there is no reception on the TV (are we in United Kingdom or on another planet - I mean you can get TV in all of europe why not in Llandudno) .

The furniture is arranged in some sort of hotel room slalom - swerve past the dressing table and then do a 90 degree past the bed to get to the other side of the Double bed - here I must mention that there is only one bedside cabinet - there is not room for two - and the "Comfy Chair" is placed in front of the wardrobe - to open the wardrobe you must move the chair. No matter we are on holiday - the En-Suite is a joy all things in reach it's that small - the shower is like a telephone booth - you will bang all parts , elbows, knees and head - I did - you also need the strength of popeye to get any soap out of the containers they provide.

The food is to die for - and you probably might - the evening meal was hosted by some bloke in a chefs suit - he dolloped out portions of grey mince shepherds pie as if it was a cullinary delight - the mince was grey - WHERE CAN YOU BUY GREY MINCE? - it was like a home where you hope your parents don't end up (unless you are a complete dog)

The entertainment - least said soonest mended.

All IO can say is that I hope the great Orme slides down and pushes this pathetic pile straight into the sea

The place is CRAP

Better Than Expected

by TripAdvisor Member ant_jone

Having read the reviews here we made sure we booked the upgrade to a superior room!
Before arriving our babysitters vanished but the hotel put a cot in the room before arrival.
Room itself was large with two doors to the terrace and a wonderful view of Llandudno Bay. This was somewhat obscured by scaffolding (they're painting it) but not a big deal.
We didn't know we were down for dinner plus B&B and we were pleasantly surprised. Staff were always friendly & efficient and the other residents, though usually, elderly, were always charming & friendly too (the advantage of taking a cute 2-year-old with you).
Food was fine (particularly if you didn't know you were getting it) - sligthly over-cooked trad Sunday dinners but the desserts were excellent.
Parking wasn't a problem but you have to keep the meter loaded, reasonable at £4.10 per day.
Entertainments mixed. A great Scottish singer (Suzanna?) warmed the crowd up in one bar before knocking them dead in the other but I was surprised to see a racist comic another evening (surely that sort of stuff went out with Noah?).
In short, the Grand was great for people with young kids as the restaurants are convenient & welcoming and the pier (with fair) is only yards away. There are lots of oldies but this makes you a novelty.

Delusions of Grandeur

by TripAdvisor Member MB15

On our return from holidaying in Abersoch my Husband and I decided to spend one night at The Grand and it was problematic from the off. For a hotel this size there is little or no parking and this was particularly awkward as we were towing a sailing boat! Luckily by evening we managed to get spaces together opposite the hotel parked within bollards but we were obviously worried about the safety of it, yes I know we should have made certain before we booked but Late Rooms did mention on-site parking as well as nearby Pay & Display.

We upgraded to a Premier to get sea view & thank goodness we did cos I wouldn't have liked to see the standard! it was basic with a very shabby bathroom, mildew everywhere & ceiling tiles stained, bath mat almost in two pieces, dripping shower & hairdryer that didn't work. No telephones in the room so not easy to relay problems to Reception (probably method in their madness!)

We did actually find the food to be tasty & plentiful but we were unable to reach the dizzy heights of the Premier Dining room as there was no room for us. We did however manage to have our breakfast there after the waiter had run it past the restaurant manager, who in turn had to obtain consent from Reception, unbelievable, it was only half full!

The main complaint we did have though was the appallingly aggressive way the Chambermaids tried to gain entry to clean, from 08:30am! and they made no less than 4 attempts, even after my Husband asked them to leave it until after 10:am, astonishing, who vacates a room before 08:30am, especially when we weren't allowed entry until after 14:30!

On pulling away from the hotel we saw 4 of the restaurant staff sat on the steps at the front of the hotel, near to Reception, all smoking, Classy Joint!!

Where did they spend those millions????

by TripAdvisor Member RobNewmanx

My partner Alison and I have just returned to Warrington after a long weekend visiting my infirmed mother. Because she suddenly took a turn for the worse, we needed a hotel booking quickly, so Alison did an Internet search on Friday to find the Grand was one of only three hotels in Llandudno that had vacancies. Maybe that should have served as a warning, but we booked 2 nights' d,b&b. We arrived to be given the key to room 401 (is there any coincidence that this is 3 floors above room 101, where, according to Orwell, one has to face one's darkest fears?) We walked in to find the place looking like (as Alison described it) a doss house, with very dated colour scheme and patched up walls with tissue paper apparently filling gaps. I immediately went back to Reception and asked for a better room, even if we had to pay extra, and was given 522 - thankfully more roomy and brighter. Even then we had no phone and a tiny TV that had an old-fashioned portable aerial, giving poor, hit and miss reception. The towels looked as if they'd seen better days. The room has a double and a single bed, and since we like extra pillows, I took the ones from the single - that crumpled the coverlet on the single and it remained so throughout - some maid service. We were too late for dinner so were given vouchers for the Coffee Shop, and sat there listening to truly abysmal "entertainment". Breakfast the following morning was equally appalling, with fried eggs that had congealed (presumably from being kept hot in an oven) and whangy toast. Since the majority of your guests were aged, the fact they had to carry either jugs or cups of boiling water from a central table to their own tables raises serious safety questions. That evening we came down to dinner, were kept waiting for a table when there were visibly plenty free. The soup (possibly leek and potato) was cold, and the slop that was presented as a main course was so unappetising that we opted for just salad and a later visit to a local takeaway. There was no warning when we booked that the frontage was covered in scaffolding (not that it affected our view, but we heard plenty of mutterings from other guests). A poster in the lift boasted you've spent millions on refurbishment. Where, for Heaven's sake? A thoroughly disagreeable stay, never to be repeated.

disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member cyprus

Myself and my sister booked into the 'Grand' hotel for a one night stay 30th aug, in view to book for a longer stay in the future.
We set on our journey and as we were running late i rang the hotel to inform them of this, they kindy offered to have 2 salads for us on our arrival. We checked in at the hotel after 25 mins to find a parking place, we were presented with the salads which looked as if they were from the previous days menu.
We proceeded to our room (327) which was so small in capacity we thought it best to pull the bed away from the wall. To our shock we found sweet papers, cigarette ash and half a bottle of tango drink under the bed, at this time (1am)we felt it too late to request an alternative room.
In the morning 7.30 I ventured to the bathroom to find there was no hot water for a bath or shower.
By this time we were totally disapointed with the hotel, we went downstairs thinking things cannot get worse, the full english breakfast at 8am consisted of 5 items available on the buffet table.
We have travelled many years near and far and feel this hotel to be the worse, how disapointing.
We thought we would enjoy our short break but instead we returned home totally disgusted and wondered how this could be allowed in 2006 in a lovely resort like llandudno.

How To Feel Young

by TripAdvisor Member businesstrips

If you want to feel young, go to the Grand. If I tell you that dinner is from 5.30 to 7.30 followed by bingo, you get the idea. The staff assume you're old - and deaf- so all fairly noisy! Despite this, all meals seem to be self-service with elderly guests carrying hot (well warm - a health and safety precaution I assume) soup across the dining room through crowded tables. The food is overcooked and an interesting florida cocktail starter becomes fruit salad by magic for pudding.

Breakfast is foul - what are those sausages?

Also take care not to sit in the wrong part of the dining room. The empty part, with a view, is apparently reserved for "other people doll" as the waiter informed me, followed by a "you'll have to move love" from the woman in charge who has a decibel rating as loud as the fighter jets practising low flying tactics overhead.

Nice views though and handy for the pier

The not so Grand

by TripAdvisor Member pinenut

This hotel is 'the working mans' GRAND HOTEL.. so don't go thinking your getting the upper class version.. Rooms are basic, no comfortable seating area, only the bed to sit on. Bathroom, adequate - nothing more than most working class families have at home. Food, plentifull (help yourself buffet style) very basic food, nothing too fancy - quite disapointed at the lack of 'home made stuff' the gateaux's were the 'sara lee'' kind (still had the cardboard circle on the bottom! The Crumbles were obviously 'tinned fruit'

For an extra £10 per person per nite, you can dine in a seperate area, same room, same food - the difference (from what i could see) you get a sea view whilst ur eating, you get tableclothes! and more of a waiter service rather than someone to clear your pots of the table service, The dining area whichever tariff you go for is dingy, very victorian and dated - don't look at the walls too closely in places it looks like there's been several food fights!

The entertainment is very holiday camp style.. you get 'bingo' and karaoke and cabaret (although nothing too elaborate) the entertainment room is quite compact.

Would I go there again? probably not, I think you could get better value for money elsewhere.

michelle and jons wedding

by TripAdvisor Member Shelly74

Regardless of what i've read in the reviews I have to say that this hotel WELL exceeded my expectations as a venue not only for my wedding, but also where our family stayed. What you have to remember is that this hotel is an entertainment hotel and doesn't claim to be luxurious. The rooms are clean and basic but the staff bend over backwards for you. It was the staff that made our wedding so special and believe me I am very fussy and I harassed them to death. Our familly commented on how they had exceeded their expectations on how they conducted our wedding and full marks to the hotel. Never mind what people have said prior to this comment. Go there knowing that you will have fun and not to expect too much luxury., although the hotel bars and restaurants are lovely, breakfast was great too!! Hope you have a good time because we did!!!!

The Grand Hotel, LLandudnoThe Grand Hotel, LLandudno