Westbourne Hotel

8 Arvon Avenue, Llandudno, Conwy County, LL30 2DY, United Kingdom

Westbourne Guest House
Booking.com Priceline.com

• Worst Fawlty towers ever

Disgusting and outrageous behaviour of the owners!
    Do not stay here no matter what, unless you want the owners to go through your things, don`t give you promised breakfast and eventually kick you out!!!

Having read the wonderful reviews and on our first contact I was fooled by their appearance - they seemed very nice and pleasant people. But it is all a sham. We paid for 3 nights with breakfast included. They advertise on their webpage that earlier breakfast can be arranged, so we politely asked for it for we wanted to go very early in the mountains and explain that to our host. We didn`t expect or demand full English breakfast but fruit and cereals. The owner, Ian, promised us that and said that someone will open a dining room in the morning so we can eat. By the way it is forbidden to eat in the rooms and you can eat only in the dining room which is locked in the morning. So basically you don`t have any option but someone to get up and open you a locked dining room.
    Ian intentionally broke his word, and nobody was there that morning. I was disappointed but didn`t want to wake them up so I write them a note: Thanks for the “perfect” breakfast. Having spent the entire day walking up and down the mountains , I returned to Llandudno longing for a hot shower and bed, and also expecting the apology.
    Instead the owners kicked me and my friend out of their guesthouse!!! They pretended that something is wrong with the door so they can take my key. My 3 suitcases were already in the hall, along with the big black garbage back in which they put the rest of their things!!! Can you imagine any hotel in which a manager would pack your things and touch them??? They wouldn’t let me go to my room to see if something is missing!!! They lied that there was no arrangement and Ian said that he only had said the night before that “he will do his best”!!! Can you even believe this was their excuse??? Of course they could not inform me the night before that their best is actually nothing. They claimed that the note I left them was so offensive (unlike their manner to me- the paying guest) so I can not longer stay in their house! They knew that we had been in the mountains the whole day and that was already past 19h and it would be extremely difficult to find an accommodation elsewhere in the town, but these “good, warm and nice” people did not care that they made a mistake.
    I was in such a state of shock so I forgot to check my suitcases. On the street I discovered that my biggest suitcase does not have a lock (I always lock my suitcases)!!! So not only did they kick me out of the guesthouse, they also invaded my privacy and forced their way into my big suitcase!!! The only reason I did not go to the police because I was preoccupied with finding a new accommodation. It was evening and I did not find anything in Llandudno, so we boarded the train to Manchester where we eventually found a hotel. If we had found another accommodation in Llandudno (or if we were thrown out in the morning or during the day) I would have gone to the police and reported them!!!

I have never been humiliated in my whole life like that. Not only that they broke their word, left us hungry to go into mountains, they also lied to us in our face about our agreement, broke into my biggest suitcase, packed my things into garbage bag and kicked us out. I have never heard not even imagine that it could happen to anyone, and I for one thing travel a lot, especially with kids (I am a school teacher) and never experienced such a horror story.
    It is unbelievable that someone can be kicked out of the guesthouse because of ironic but justified complaint about the breakfast. Never have I heard such an outrageous and scandalous thing and those people should not be allowed to practice any kind of tourism related practice.

More about Llandudno

Llandudno PierheadLlandudno Pierhead

One view from the top of the Great OrmeOne view from the top of the Great Orme

Joey JonesJoey Jones

On the tramOn the tram

Travel Tips for Llandudno

Conwy Castle

by antistar

A short bus ride from Llandudno, and even walkable if you want to make it a slow day trip, is the stunningly preserved castle of Conwy. Built as a walled settlement for the exlusive use of the English, it gave a taste of what was to come for the Welsh in this part of the world. Even though the walls no longer keep the Welsh out, the situation has changed little: the towns are full of English, and the Welsh stick to the valleys.

Conwy is a must see if you are in Llandudno. Just take Bus 5 or X5 to Conwy station.

Great Orme Tramway

by stevezero

The Great Orme Tramway is a great way to reach the summit of the Great Orme from Llandudno.
It was opened in 1903 and has a gradient of 10%.
Trams run every 20 minutes in the summer and the cost is £4.50 return for adults

Llandudno Museum

by lomi

Exhibits give visitors a a show of the evolution of Llandudno.

From Roman, Neolithic, and Bronze ages, along with hands-on displays.

A reproduction of a Welsh kitchen and demonstrations concerning the farming, fishing, and mining industries. Photographs, paintings, and other works of art that give residents and visitors alike a better illustration of the town's rich history are also included.

Hiking on the Orme (2)

by sandysmith

"Around the Orme"

We took a detour from our planned hike to reach the actual summit of the Great Orme. The climb up took us up a steep bank below the summit cable-car station. I stopped several times....for the views of course ;-)
Below we could see the church where we had just come from.

At the summit there is a trig marker and wonderful views around.
The summit complex can be tacky with its arcades and themed amusements but the visitors centre (when open) with its exhibitions and information on the various nature and historical trails on the Orme is handy. In the summer months guided walks are available.

Back on our hike after some welcomed lunch at the summit cafe we followed a stone wall around the headland of the Orme..with a little deviation towards the cliffs.

At the top end we come accross a limestone pavement. The cracks formed by rainwater erosion are called gykes and the less weather beaten areas are clints. Although not as extensive as those of the Yorkshire Dales they are still a good example. They can trip up unwary feet too so becareful if you climb here!

From the limestone pavement there is a good view back to the summit.

Back on the path we followed the wall around to the west shore side of the Orme.

A little detour from the path affords fine views over the West Shore side and over to the Conwy estuary.
In the pic the lower path seen is the one we intended to take, following our guide book, which led down to the Marine drive toll road. However we wre taken by a more inviting path that contined to contour around on the Orme above this path.

Although the path was narrow it was safe and preferable than walking on a tarmac road.

Comments