Best Western Waterloo Hotel

Betws-y-Coed
BEST WESTERN Waterloo Hotel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Snowdonia

Brwn Gwyn  Abraham Lincon Great Granma's houseBrwn Gwyn Abraham Lincon Great Granma's house

Brwn Gwyn Ysbyty Ifan Abraham Lincon G Gma's houseBrwn Gwyn Ysbyty Ifan Abraham Lincon G Gma's house

Bryn Gwyn home of Abraham Lincons G-GrandmaBryn Gwyn home of Abraham Lincons G-Grandma

Cottages in Snowdonia for May 1st & 2nd

Hello VT friends!

We are travelling this May 1st weekend to Snowdonia for 2 nights. 6 adult + 2 kids. Does anyone know a decent Cottage around? We checked on the internet, but guess we are now too late, all are full. :(
Please help

Thanks
dh

by leics

It is unusual to find holiday cottages anywhere in the UK for only 2 nights. It's much more economically feasible for owners to set a long weekend/7-day minimum stay. And even more so when it's a bank holiday weekend.

You might find something here:

or

or

by dhdear

You are very right in fact; Very few of them agree for just 2 nights and all ask for a minimum of 3 nights. I just found one near Aberdaron and booked it fearing the non-availability if I wait for few more minutes. You get it for decent prices here. I can only comment after our stay. http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/

by leics

I'm glad you found somewhere. I've used that site in the past so doubt you'll have any peoblems with your booking. But obviously the cottages themselves are infinitely variable.

by dhdear

Oh.. Then I guess the cottage would be fine! Now one more family wants to join us, I suggested some of these links to them.We even booked the train tickets to go up the hill in Snowdonia. Guess that should be a lovely experience. Only praying to the weather gods now :)

by leics

Well, it will be lovely if it's a clear day.

If it isn't, you'll not see much except grass, rock and cloud.

It's a risk you take in N Wales, I'm afraid...just a matter of keeping your fingers crossed!

Take extra clothing. It's usually quite a lot chillier up top than down below (I lived in Snowdonia dfor 5 years, so know of what I speak!).

Hi,
I am back from an excellent trip of Mid & North Wales. The weather god seemed to have listened to our prayers :) The cottage we booked was almost at the edge in a village called Rhiw. It was a basic cottage,simple & clean isolated from the world. We have to put coins for electricity ourselves.The drive from Rhayader to Aberystwyth mountain road was spectacular. We passed through Village of Furnace,Machynlleth,Devil's Bridge,Caernarfon,Pwhlelli etc. We even did a small trek of 1.5 miles to Aber falls.It is worth visit. On our way back we passed Portmeirion,Bangor,Bala. Overall it was a nice trip.

by leics

Glad you had a good trip......and very pleased the weather gods smiled upon you!

:-)

Travel Tips for Snowdonia

Bloody Mountain Goats!!

by JulesH

I hadn't been on a mountain before, but for some reason, I didn't think that mountain goats were indiginous to the UK. I had images of them scampering up and down the Matterhorn, but not Mount Snowdon. I was somewhat surprised to actually see some on our way up. They make the most pathetic sound...almost unearthly! Of course, being mountain goats, the rocky terrain was no challenge to them...they were up and down doing lengths! They did have a bit of trouble with the overhangs though ;)

Why would you use the "C"?!

by eddilowe

The name above the window of this shop really made me laugh. I'm sure it's a very good shop but the name is a bit of a worry...............

Proof that even humble shop signs are worth keeping your eye on for a bit of interest and humour!

Up Snowdon - the Watkin Path...

by Bagillbaer

The Watkin Path starts out fairly unspectacular (apart from the surrounding mountains, of course) at Nant Gwynant, about an hours walk north-east from Beddgelert - a car park, the Snowdon Sherpa bus stop "Pont Bethania" (but busses don`t come that often...), a simple concrete road across the street leading towards the mountains and some farms.
But don't underestimate it! The Watkin Path is said to be the hardest way up to Snowdon's peak. Despite that fact, the first few kilometres of the path are fairly family friendly - and families know that.
There's loads of them on sunny holidays, heading for the mountain stream that's so nice to sit by, dabble your feet in or even swim in! Yes, it is cold. But it is also crystal clear and an experience very worthwhile! I found the perfect stone seat with the perfect little puddle of perfectly clear water in front to put my sore feet in.

Snowdonia National Park

by sandysmith

Eryri or the Snowdonia National Park was designated a National park in 1951 and it is the second largest National park in England and Wales, covering some 2,171 square kilometres (838 square miles) of north west Wales, and including the Carneddau, and Glyderau mountain ranges as well as the Highest mountain in England and Wales (1085m/3560ft)- Yr Wyddfa (the Tomb in welsh), or Snowdon from which the Park takes its (english) name. The welsh name Eryri means 'place of the eagles'.

Useful discount leaflet from Welsh Tourist Board

by eddilowe

The booklet is called Ten Top Attractions in North Wales. It has vouchers inside offering discounts at the attractions on the TenTop website. It offers things like free child tickets with full paying adult, 10% off gift shop purchases, money off adult admissions etc.

If you drop into any of the tourist information offices or look in the main entrances of any other tourist attractions or a lot of pubs (the usual places where you find leaflets) you should be able to find of these. It's about the size of a large cheque book.

It doesn't appear to have any use-by dates on the vouchers so I would say it will probably still be readily available. I'll try and put up a picture of the front cover. .

Comments