Station Road, Talybont on Usk, Brecon, LD3 7YG, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Brecon

The main building, quite impressive!The main building, quite impressive!

The PromenadeThe Promenade

View of the Choir and ChancelView of the Choir and Chancel

St Keyne's ChapelSt Keyne's Chapel

Walking in Brecon Beacon

by vlassyk

Can you advise me what is the best walk near Brecon? I am going to go to Brecon on the last weekend of September and I would like see sights of Brecon and go to half day walk, it would be best see some waterfall, lake and hills. What do you recommend me?

RE: Walking in Brecon Beacon

by christine.j

Bookmark, as I'm also going there next week.

by Spincat

There are two things I would suggest - walking into the 'bowl' of the Beacons via the Cwm Llwch valley, which is a very lovely walk and not well known. I have OS map references on my Brecon Beacons page (the 'Secret Path' tip). The weather forecast is good for late Sept but this is a steep and isolated area and you need to take care, esp if the weather is bad.

Possibly easier and more accessible (tehre is a bus that goes there), and the better option if you are walking on your own is the chain of waterfalls at Ystradfelte. again I have a tip on this 'walk behind a waterfall' which has a useful link to a site about the falls.

by Spincat

sorry just to add to what I said re the bad weather conditions - is more than taking care - don't climb in bad weather conditions ; I know that sounds obvious but the beacons sometimes seem gentle but are not!

by christine.j

Thank you for your information. Even though I didn't ask this question I benefit a lot from your tips. I just hope the weather won't be too bad next week.

Re: Walking in Brecon Beacon

by joJo82

Pen y Fan is pretty nice.

There is a picture of the the view from the summit here:

Travel Tips for Brecon

In the Midst of the Brecon Beacons

"Brecon/ Aberhonddu"

After I had decided I wanted to spend a few days in the Brecon Beacons I had to decide on where to stay. I knew I'd be going end of September, beginning of October, I knew I wouldn't be driving a car but using buses instead, so I started to look for a place that would be the best base. I found Brecon, booked a hotel there and didn't regret this choice at all. It's a very nice small town, has a good bus service to many other towns around and some hiking trails start there. As it turned put, it was too wet to do any hiking, but I had a wonderful stay there.
The only problem, as always: too much to see and do and not enough time.

"If you went to school in Germany..."

you may remember the Brecon Beacons from your 6th grade English book. The area was used to introduce the simple past in English.
"We went to the the Brecon Beacons last year"
"Did you like it"
"Yes, I did." And then you had to learn: go - went - gone
do - did - done

Does it ring a bell?

This was the first time I had heard about the Brecon Beacons.

"Finally I would to say"

One of the very words in Welsh I was able to learn was "Aber" meaning "mouth of a river". Since in Brecon the river Honddu goes into the river Usk, its Welsh name Aberhonddu makes sense to me now.
I had a wonderful time in Brecon/Aberhonddu and all the towns and places I was able to go to from there. This picture I took at the exit of the market in Brecon says it all

Comments