Porthkerry Road, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, CF62 7XY, United Kingdom
Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction Poor

More about Barry

goosegoose

bird of preybird of prey

AmusementsAmusements

AmusementsAmusements

Pebbles..

by helen93

Would anyone mind telling me or reassuring me that i can take pebbles from the knap, barry. Thanks.

Re: Pebbles..

by leics

It is my understanding that the area between the high and low tide marks belongs to the Crown. Removal of anything from there is theft, unless it is flotsam or jetsam (to which different laws apply). Above the high tide mark land is owned by individuals (or County Councils etc). This applies to all of the UK so, technically, removing even one pebble is an offence.

I doubt anyone would pursue you through the courts for removing a one or two, or even a few (after all, there is a whole small industry built on fossilling in places like Lyme Regis). However, I do know there have been successful cases brought, and fines given, where people have removed large amounts of pebbles for their gardens etc. Apart from anything else, allowing people to do this might have potentially devastating effects on the local environment.

So no, I can't put your mind fully at rest........sorry...........but I hope I've clarified the situation a little.

Travel Tips for Barry

thatched houses

by uglyscot

On the road between Barry and Llanwit Major, near Dryffadd, are some lovely thatched cottages. I'd never thought of thatched cottages as being associated with Wales, for some unknown reason. I wanted to photograph them but the roads are so narrow and winding that it was almost impossible to find somewhere to park.
Here are just three I managed to capture.

Minigolf by the seaside

by evaanna

If you get bored of swimming or sunbathing on Barry beach you can spend some time playing minigolf close to the promenade. It must be one of the favourite activities of the British as we saw the course being used by a few people at the same time. It's a pity we didn't have time to have a go.

Porthkerry Park

by CathL

220 acre park - free parking except on Sundays and Bank holidays. Wood, beaches, green acres, old buildings, kids playground, mini golf etc. Lovely for walking, picnics or just chilling. Dogs welcome.

St Fagans

by Carmela71

An open air museum showing historically a little of the history and culture of Wales through their tipical houses.

On my first time I went for a picnic and I loved. I founded many things in common with the country side area of Spain where my family comes from.

Harbour Drive, Cardiff Bay, CF10 5PA

+44 (0)29 20 454 899

Visit my St Fagans page for more information http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1cd25/4abb5/

St Donat's Castle and Arts Centre

by aaaarrgh

About six miles west of Barry, on the coast, is the superb St Donats Castle, its stylish Arts Centre and Theatre, set in an old tithe barn.

There are a variety of events that take place throughout the year in the grounds. I went to a Craft Festival last summer - colourful, plenty to do, lots of crowds. See their website for details of events this year.

There are also large gardens, which step down to the sea.

The Castle dates back to the C13th. In the mid-20th century it was owned by William Randolf Hearst, a well-known American newspaper tycoon. He restored it and invited his Hollywood friends to stay. The castle is normally open during daytime events at the Arts Centre. Guided tours are also possible.

Directions
St Donats is near the village of Llantwit Major. Take the A48 from Cardiff or Barry to Cowbridge, head for Llantwit Major and look for signposts. Or take the coast road from Barry to Llantwit.

Comments