10 Trevethick City center sleeps upto 7

Cardiff (2010)Cardiff (2010)

Comeston Medieval VillageComeston Medieval Village

Cosmo'sCosmo's

CardiffCardiff

Areas to avoid in Cardiff?

by mdbowen

I'm going to be in Cardiff next week. I am a female in my late 20s and I will be traveling alone, and as such I would like to know which parts of the city I should avoid. Thanks!

by leics

Use the same sort of common sense approach you would use in visiting any city and you will be fine. I doubt there is anywhere within the city itself you should avoid, other than late at night (as everywhere).

Cardiff hardly ranks high on the list of dangerous-places-to-be-as-a-single-female. Its crime rate is a bit higher than the (Welsh) average for burglary/car crime etc.....but that is because it is a city, and most of Wales is rural. Walking in badly-lit places late at night, getting very drunk in pubs/ bars, taking unlicensed cabs offered by touts etc are as inadvisable there as everywhere else.

You'll be fine!

by dave.richards

Yes. I agree. No built up area is completely safe these days so use common sense. Un registered taxis are a problem in Cardiff at the moment as are groups of youths (from 14 years of age upwards) mugging people for their mobile phones, so keep it well hidden and only use it in well populated areas.
Without wishing to offend anyone who lives in Cardiff (and I include myself in this list as I live here) avoid at night - Grangetown, the area between Cardiff Centre and Cardiff Bay, Ely, Llanrumney, Splott and Maindy.
Most nights are safe though until very late at night, when drunks and idiots are abound, apart from maybe a Friday night when the centre is heaving with people from 'outside of Cardiff' who get paid on a Friday and so storm the bars and clubs.
During the day and early evening virtually everywhere is safe, just be careful as you would anywhere.

by mdbowen

Thanks for the replies. I'm from the Detroit area, so just about anywhere else seems safer to me! However, I'm always wary of my environment when I'm on unfamiliar ground.

by dave.richards

I just re-read my post about Cardiff and it seems as if I have painted a gloomy picture. I did not mean this to happen.
There are many things to see and do in Cardiff and the surrounding areas and it is really a safe place to visit, despite my warnings lol.
I hope you enjoy your stay and let us all know what you think of our city when you get back home. Happy holiday! :))

by mdbowen

I'm back home in the states now. Thanks for the advice! I loved Cardiff, especially the bay, though the City Centre was great as well. I went to the indoor market, took a cruise around the bay, and had a lot of fun. I'd love to go back to Wales one day!

by dave.richards

Good :) I'm glad you enjoyed Cardiff as I was afraid that some of my comments may have put you off.
I hope that some day you will return as there is so much new building work going on at the moment and it will be good to come back in 2 or 3 years when its finished.
If you took any pics it would be interesting to see them posted here to help others who may want to visit.

Travel Tips for Cardiff

Walking Cardiff

by tvor

Cardiff is a relatively flat city in the center and easy to walk. It's compact as well, most of the attractions are close together. There is a nice pedestrian area for shopping, including some shopping malls and the large department store, John Morgan. There are a couple of old covered markets as well. Walking around Cardiff's main streets and narrow lanes you see all sorts of interesting things, like this Victorian mile-marker i discovered not far from the grand new Millenium stadium, along the high street that passes the Castle and traverses Cardiff Bridge over the Taff.

Cardiff VT Meet - End of May 2005

by M0B1US

Towards the end of May the famous German VTer was coming to visit Cardiff, so Aaaaargh and I thought it would be a nice idea to meet him for a mini VT meet...

To give Holger a taste of Welsh beers we decided to meet up in the Goat Major pub at the top of the High St named after the mascot of the Royal Welsh Regiment.

We stayed here a few hours sampling all the different beers that Brains Brewery had to offer (I think Holger's favourite was SA - nicknamed 'Skull Attack'), however all this drinking we were hungry and made for the nearby Pizza Express restaurant a few doors down from the pub for a nice meal, more beer and more conversation...

After dinner a night cap seemed appropriate but at after 11pm all the pubs were closing, not to worry Aaargh and I had a secret weapon - Cafe Floyd by the Castle Arcade!

So another short walk (our entire meet required no more than 50m of walking) and a small entrance fee later and we were upstairs in this excellent little late night bar sipping some of Europe's finest beers.

I ended up leaving at about 1am after a thouroughly enjoyable evening whilst the others decided to continue drinking into the small hours... ;-)

We'll have to do that again some time!

Iechyd Da!

Rhiwbina Garden Village

by uglyscot

This suburb of Cardiff is a conservation area. It is still like a village with a high street [Hoel y Deri] with a few shops: the ubiquitous Spar, a couple of Butcher shops, two banks , dry cleaners, coffee shop/bookshop, gift shops, chemist, bridal dress shop , travel agent, real estate agent and a few others. And the Church built in 1889, Beulah Church. Next to the church is its community centre which has a lot of activities- amateur dramatics, ballet classes for children...and I stocked up on books at a coffee morning although there is the library down a side street.

There are has been a lot of building of new housing, but it is quite tasteful and doesn't spoil the look of the area.
The high street leads up to the hills above the village, though unfortunately I believe building of a new estate is planned on the other side of the motorway.

Until then there are pleasant walks to be taken.
There is a large park too where children can play, sports can be practised.

And railway connects to Cardiff in about 15 minutes.

Roath Park

by kingfisher

Butiful Roath Park is located in the North of the city, has a very big lake. There are many swans, wild duck and birds live there. You can rent a boat during summer time or finishing. Also they have a good playing ground.

If you have a car, take a...

by CarolynShort

If you have a car, take a scenic drive up the A470 for about 20 miles, and north of Merthyr Tydfil you enter the Brecon Beacons National Park. The mountains aren't enormous (the highest Pen-y-Fan is 800m high) but it is a beautiful region with reservoirs, forests, and the mountains, with plenty of activities available such as pony trekking, walking and climbing.

For further infomation try www.brecon-beacons.com

Comments