Barcelo Cardiff Angel Hotel

Castle St, (formerly Paramount), Cardiff, Southern Wales, CF10 1SZ, United Kingdom

The Angel Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• kerrytmartin's Profile Photo

Great location not expensive yet decorations tired

The service was good including reception staff and those serving at breakfast.

The location was great and the price good although breakfast was expensice for a buffet (£13 each)

The lobby is very beautiful although other areas are tired looking and could do with a re-decoration

Hotel room was a good size, very clean and comfetable

Unique Quality: Spa and sauna
    The lobby is very attractive
    Location - room with view of the castle was beautiful

Directions: great location for shopping, the millenium stadium and the castel

• timlloydlangston's Profile Photo

Cardiff's most famous hotel

Being right opposite the Millenium Stadium and Cardiff Rugby Club this hotel is a favourite with players and spectators alike. It is also slap bang in the middle of Cardiff, next the castle and all the shops are within easy walking distance.

Unique Quality: The Angel has grandeur and charm – with a warmth that more modern hotels struggle to achieve (I’m talking atmosphere here, not ambient temperature). This, combined with its excellent location makes it ideal for a romantic break.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Angel Hotel

Between Cardiff Castle and the Millennium Stadium, a perfect place to explore the city.

This Victorian house has expensive prices, but looks a beautiful place if you get a good offer.

Unique Quality: Rooms from £60

More about Barcelo Cardiff Angel Hotel

Would go again

by TripAdvisor Member Amethyst15

I thought I should write a review of the hotel after reading all the bad reports about it. We stayed in January on a three night break. Our room was one of the best we have stayed in, so either we were very lucky or some of the other reviewers have much higher expectations. The rooms was very modern decor. We had a wonderful big bathroom all tiled and light with modern fittings. The only problem was the window wouldn't stay open. We had a view of the car park, which we weren't too bothered about considering we had a great deal which included breakfast, a three course evening meal and free tickets to the castle.

The food in the restaurant was very nice, although we werent impressed it had the same menu for two nights so the vegetarians had the same twice. Breakfast was really good with a choice of continental and cooked food, fresh juices speciality teas etc. The only complaint I could make is that the waiting staff were too attentive.

I must agree about the parking. It is quite a lot to charge for a hotel you are staying at. We went in a quiet month so easy to get a space. The car park is very small so you may struggle to get a space at popular times.

The outside of the building is looking a bit shabby together with the hall ways which could do with a lick of paint.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay and would stay at the Angel again.

Quiet at night. Good Fried Breakfast.

by TripAdvisor Member Pesda

Second time I stayed here (on business). Well placed and easy to find. (helped by SatNav). Check in was simple. Lift small side at busy times (!) Room this time was well furnished and the bed smelt very very fresh. Daft telly with difficult to navigate menus - no teletext. Useful for city centre. Parking (for me) was well worth the £5.00 per 24 hour charge. The room was clean, bathroom was a bit tired. Slept well in a very comfy bed, room got a bit warm at night and but the hotel was very quiet at night. Breakfast was superb and set me up nicely for the day.

Cardiff deserves better

by TripAdvisor Member Clarissa_Firebucket

AS a capital city Cardiff, in my experience, has little good hotel accommodation centrally. The Angel is utterly central, with shopping, Welsh Assembly buildings and tourist sights adjacent and is only five minutes walk from train/bus stations. Probably best avoided on rugby international days unless you're part of that scene. As other reviewers have said the whole hotel is a bit "faded plush" although the room I had was refurbished and perfectly adequate. The public rooms and bar are uninteresting (there is a good Weatherspoons pub thirty yards down the road) the breakfast is about OK but reports of the evening restaurant from fellow travellers were poor.
Staff mostly foreign but helpful, check-in and out relatively smooth and overall housekeeping standards appeared satisfactory. Given the situation and the building potential the Angel deserves to be of a higher standard but if you need to be in the centre of Cardiff it's a reasonable choice. You can often get a good last-minute deal.

A Fallen Angel

Having viewed the Angel with some envy on my trips to Cardiff for rugby weekends I was quite excited at the thought of spending a night there even though it was on business.

The Angel Hotel is living on past glories. The main reception rooms are fine, however the interior of the hotel needs a good spruce up. Despite asking for a no smoking room I was shown to one on the first floor overlooking the busy main road and with secondary double glazing that did not close. The reception staff were very hepful and I was moved to a more modern room with a spacious bathroom at the rear of the building.

I chose to eat in the bar and had the worst fish and chips I have ever tasted, at a cost of £10.50.
The one bright note though being the excellent and attentive service myself and my colleague received from the barman, Daniel. Despite being very young he was personable, efficient and excellent at his job.

The Angel is not a four star hotel and in general I was disappointed.

How it's a 4 star I'll never know

by TripAdvisor Member ribm7727

We stayed here thinking that it would be worth paying the extra £'s for a nicer room - how wrong could we have been!!!

The room was very dated, there was damp on the ceiling in the bedroom, the floor was uneven in the bathroom and the bath area was disgusting!! The seals around the bath were either yellow or black with mould!!

The hotel is desperate for a re furbishment, and until then I will not return nor recommend it - avoid!!!

Ask for a refurbished room

Stayed here for one night on business. Room perfectly acceptable and recently done up in typically modern style. From reading the reviews it seems that one's assessment of this hotel is likely to depend on whether or not one ends up in a refurbished room, so probably best to ask for one. Check-in/check-out service a bit inefficient, though friendly. The exterior of the hotel needs attention and some of the internal public areas (e.g. upstairs corridors) are slightly frayed 1970s-era. Excellent fried breakfast (all you can eat). Can’t comment on hotel’s value for money as room was pre-paid.

HOT HOT HOT

We arrived in Cardiff looking forward to our stay at The Angel. I had contacted the hotel in the week previous to our stay to reserve a car parking space as due to a recent operation it would have been difficult for me to walk any distance. Luckily we had the last space when we arrived, when we booked in the receptionist informed us that the room we had been allocated was close to a lift for my benefites, however, neither myself or my friend had requested this. When we got to the room we were surprised at the size (very spacious) but when we opened the bathroom door the smell was disgusting ...... damp, smelly water. The bathroom did not have a window or working vent and where the tiles were cracked I guess water had seeped in over time and not been bleached properly. The guy offered to have it cleaned but as I explained it was a 'aged' smell rather than something that could just be cleaned. We asked to move and were told there were no other twins available but they had a double so my friend and I had to share. The second room was so much better. All rooms have air con which is great especially as it was so warm but the communal areas lack this facility and therefore the breakfast room was most uncomfortable as were the hallways. All in all the stay was good, breakfast was excellent despite feeling as though you were sat in a sauna. I would stay again if I had one of the refurbished rooms but I think you can get value for money with better facilities at other hotels.

Comments