Copthorne Hotel Cardiff Caerdydd

Copthorne Way, Culverhouse Cross, Cardiff, Southern Wales, CF5 6DH, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

First Class Hotel

Stayed for just one night before the Community Shield 2004.

Unique Quality: Comfortable rooms and excellent pool, which we used a couple of times.

A good spot for central Cardiff and the surrounding beaches like Barry Island and Penarth.

Can be pricey but we managed to get a bargain double room from www.laterooms.com for £99.

Directions: Just off Junction 33 of the M4.

More about Copthorne Hotel Cardiff Caerdydd

Excellent Hotel. Fantastic stay! Great Theatre!

by TripAdvisor Member IANTOJONES

I recently stayed at the Copthorne Cardiff whilst visiting family in the Cardiff area. I booked their special Dinner Theatre package, which was an absolute bargain!

After reading some of the reviews on here I was a little concerned but they all proved to be unfounded. I had a great room with a brand new bed and bedding! The reception staff told me that all the hotel beds had been replaced at the end of July. The hotel had also just been painted, so I assume that explains the scaffolding that the previous reviewer had mentioned!

The food was excellent throughout the stay. You really could not fault it. Its also quite nice having breakfast looking out over the lake (apart from the rain!).

The dinner theatre was amazing! My mum had told me about it, so we arranged a family night out to see the "West End To Broadway" show. The food was great and the cast absolutely blew us away. I was really not expecting such a professional show and was very, very impressed! The whole night was superb value for money and I would highly recommend the night to anyone! My mum has already booked her work Christmas party!!

The staff at the hotel were all very good and you could not fault anyone.

I only used the health club for a quick swim but was really impressed with the facilities.

If you are looking for a great hotel, in a great location (also right next to M&S!) then I would highly recommend the Copthorne Cardiff. If you are there when the theatre is on (4 nights per week I think) then do go as you will love it!!

Overpriced Disaster

by TripAdvisor Member Casual-K

Our 1 night stay at the Copthorne Cardiff was a complete disaster from beginning to end:

CHECK IN: We were in Cardiff to see The Police at the Millennium Stadium so we checked in promptly at 2pm. Our plan was to visit Cardiff Bay before heading to the Stadium. To our dismay we found the room had not been cleaned since the previous occupier had been in it - the bed was not made and wet towels were in the bath. I initially tried to point this out to the cleaner outside our room. She was unable to speak English but, when I showed her the bed, she was disinterested and gave a ‘what’s the problem’ gesture.

We complained to the Duty Manager and he put our cases behind Reception and asked us to wait in the bar (with a complementary drink) while the room was being cleaned. We didn't get into the room until 3pm which resulted in us not having enough time to visit Cardiff Bay. Due to the mix up I expected our cases to have been brought up to our newly cleaned room. This presumption was incorrect and my husband had to go back down to Reception to collect them.

To backtrack slightly, while we were waiting in the bar we noticed that our key card had the wrong name on it - the surname was correct but the initial was wrong. Even though we had confirmed our full name and address at Reception we had been given someone else’s (not ready) room. The Manager advised us that the room was a Connoisseur Room, which was an upgrade to the one we had initially been allocated, and that we would not be charged any extra for staying in it.

THE ROOM: The Copthorne's idea of a Connoisseur Room is far removed from mine. The room was tired looking with chipped and faded furniture. The double bed was actually 2 singles pushed together and made up with a double sheet. There was no safe to store our passports. Dust flew about everywhere. The bathroom was basic - the bottom of the bath was stained yellow and we had only been given one set of towels to share between the two of us. The minibar was empty and when I phoned Reception to ask for it to be stocked I was initially advised that only guests staying in Connoisseur Rooms had stocked minibars and that ours had been purposely left empty as we were only in the room due to an upgrade!

SHUTTLE BUS: The hotel is located outside the centre of Cardiff. The taxi ride from the centre to the hotel cost £15 therefore we were pleased to see that the Copthorne had arranged for buses to take guests to the Stadium at a charge of £5 per person for a return journey. We booked the 16:30 bus into the centre and the 01:00 bus to return. The 16:30 bus, which actually arrived at 16:45, dropped us off beside a park. We had to walk through the park for about 10-15 minutes before reaching Cardiff main centre. Obviously we paid for a taxi to take us back to the hotel as walking through a large park at 1am is not safe.

BREAKFAST: Our room rate was £140, excluding breakfast. I had read on previous Trip Advisor reviews that the restaurant was good so we decided to still have breakfast in the hotel (at an additional charge of £16 each). This was a mistake. We were greeted at the restaurant by a member of staff who asked for our room number (as expected). He then told us that breakfast was not included in our room rate. I thought this was probably a good policy as some people may not be aware and it could cause problems when they checked their bill. What was not acceptable was being asked whether we wanted cooked or continental breakfast whilst still standing at the door of the restaurant before being shown a menu. We were also asked to sign for breakfast before being seated which I found insulting as the insinuation was that we could not be trusted.

Once seated it became apparent that the restaurant was seriously understaffed. The hotel was fully booked (due to The Police concert) but management had obviously not taken this into account when arranging staffing rotas. As a result we had to ask for tea twice and when it arrived, after about 15 minutes, the pot was disgusting (the spout was stained both inside and out). The items from buffet kept running out – there were no bread rolls, which are an intrinsic part of a continental breakfast, and I cannot remember seeing any Danish pastries or muffins.

Not being a fan of traditional style cooked breakfasts I decided to order Eggs Benedict. After over 30 minutes of waiting I gave up. I spoke to the Restaurant Manager and advised him that I was only prepared to pay for one of the breakfasts as mine hadn’t arrived and we had to leave to catch a train. The Manager apologised and assured me that one of the breakfasts would be deducted from our bill.

CHECK OUT: Upon inspecting our bill we found that we had been charged for both breakfasts. This lack of communication is especially disappointing as a manager had been involved. I explained the ‘Eggs Benedict no show saga’ to the receptionist and she deducted both breakfast charges. This was not a good will gesture – she wasn’t listening to the full story.

COAT: I left my winter coat in the wardrobe of the hotel room which was completely my fault. I realised as soon as I sat on the train and I phoned the Copthorne to ask them to post it to me. This was at midday on Saturday. By Wednesday the coat still hadn’t arrived so I phoned the hotel. I was put on hold and cut off twice (without any explanation why I was being put on hold). Eventually I spoke to a manager who stated that it had only been posted on Tuesday. When I asked why there had been a delay in posting it to me, he responded by saying this was due to the Postal Strike! I did point out that the Postal Strike had been finished for over a week – he didn’t comment further.

All in all, I would never go back to this hotel again. The Copthorne Cardiff’s standards do not come anywhere near 4* and at around £180 for a 1 night stay (excluding breakfast but including The Police bus, room service etc) the price cannot be justified.

great staff

by TripAdvisor Member a visitor from ireland

Happened upon this hotel while touring Wales and got the last room. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The room I was given was fine but situation beside the hotel fans/air conditioning so was a bit noisy. As this was the last room I had to make do - but it did not distub me too much.

We had a lovely meal in the hotel restaurant, again very friendly professional staff. A very fussy menu, the food was tasty but a little 'over complicated'. The piano player added a lovely athmosphere.

While the hotel may be a bit out of the city, maybe a little shabby in areas, the friendly professional staff certainly make up for it.

Dated and poor service but good food

by TripAdvisor Member s_parsons

The hotel décor is dated and oppressive the room was clean but musty and the room hot on a mild day as there is no air conditioning. I also agree with an earlier reviewer-get rid of the smelly woollen blanket please. The reception staff were poor in different ways. The member of staff who checked me in was polite and seemed efficient but in fact none of what I asked for actually happened (table booking etc.). The staff who checked me out were positively rude, despite a large Q one member of staff ignored everyone and carried on with some paper work whilst the other was rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. The food in Raglan's restaurant was, however, excellent with good service and although not cheap (£50 for three courses and two glasses of wine for 1) it was worth it. Next time in Cardiff I would travel to eat in the hotel again but would not stay in the hotel again unless I had no other choice.

never again

by TripAdvisor Member maisiedog

Having recently had major surgery we decided to have a break and choose the copthorne in cardiff. On arrival we were surprised to find the hotel on the edge of a large retail park.
On checking in we were given a fouth floor room despite asking for ground floor. This was solved. On entering the room and opening the curtain we were met with scaffolding and wooden planks outside the room.We were not advised of any building work. There was a scruffy blue blanket on the bed and we were told they do not use bed covers, the room smelt damp and dank. The room was dated and badly needed refuribsment.

Later that evening we were distrurbed by loud nosises coming from the retail park where youths were racing and screeching around the car parks. this went on until 2am, at 12.45 I approached the night staff who were at that time on the phone to the police regarding this issue. It was not the fault of the hotel but it did not endear us to the hotel. In between this we were subjected to sirens and over head helicoper. Not the peaceful break we planned.

The next morning we decided to cut our losses and check out and go home. the reception staff were indifferent.

In credit to the hotel the food was excellent and the chef and his brigade did a wonderful meal.

Would I go to this hotel again or recomment anyone. The answer is a big NO

prices are crazy!

by TripAdvisor Member jamesgandolfini

I was here for one night on the eve of a sales meeting, only because I was unable to get this additional night at the Travel Inn down the road. The price of £64 room only was found on laterooms.com and was about half the price they advertise at the reception desk. So, at that reduced price, complaining does seem a little unfair, perhaps, although value is in the detail, I always think.

Reception fine and check-in okay, but like many of these reviews, I had a dark room and scaffolding outside the window, plus the smell of paint as the evening wore on.

Raglans restaurant very good but not cheap and a bit poncy for business travellers, I would say. There is a bar menu, which is also expensive, but we chose to try the restaurant anyway.

Breakfast was a good selection, for £10 a head in advance or £15.95 if you booked in the morning, but the cooked food was "tired" - watery bacon, hard sausages, rubbish eggs of scrambled or fried variety - and not at all worth the money.

I will not be back.

Plush surroundings and a good base to explore South Wales

by TripAdvisor Member alantoday

We stayed here for 3 nights and the experience was a good one. Despite the building refurbishment taking place outside, the inside of the hotel is plush. Our rooms were at the side of the building and so we had no scaffolding but a lovely view of the pond and surrounding greenery. We spent all day touring and so didn't use the hotel facilities much. Nevertheless, I had a swim and a sauna (great) and a couple of drinks in the bar (okay). The bed was comfortable, even with the infamous blanket rather than duvet on top. Multi-channel TV was also fine. And the tastefully installed fridge was useful for keeping drinks cold. Breakfast was delicious (note to previous poster: if you don't like the selection on offer, ask for something else; I asked for my usual boiled eggs, which they happily made freshly for me, and they were yummy).

My criticisms? Minor really. I was not told about the price differential for the non-inclusive breakfast by the hotel (fortunately I learned about this from a previous posting on this site). And, one morning when we had booked breakfast with Reception the night before, we were initially disbelieved by the breakfast room manager because the booking had not made it onto his computer terminal and he had to phone Reception to confirm!
The hotel should really offer breakfast as a standard option when booking. Likewise, internet access should also be a standard feature instead of a payable add-on.

Apart from that, we had a great time. The nearness of the retail park is unusual, but quite useful for getting bits and pieces. We also appreciated the closeness of Pizza Hut, which we used a couple of times in preference to the expensive and limited choice menu of the hotel's restaurant. The free car park and ease of access to the main road networks were important features for us. Overall, this hotel was a good base for exploring Cardiff, the Brecon Beacons and the Gower Peninsular. Shame about the weather!

What A Show!!

by TripAdvisor Member Colinconnor

WHAT A SHOW!!

We booked the Copthorne after reading about the Theatre and Dine Experience advertised on their site.

We booked to stay for two nights and to pay the upgrade to the executive rooms (well worth the money!). Rebecca Hewitt (revenue administrator), E-Mailed us to recommend one night at the Theatre, the second we could dine in the excellent Raglans Restaurant for the same price.

The Theatre and Dining Experience was superb, very professional show, with extremely talented artistes. The Dining was also first rate. Highly recommended.

The restaurant for the following night was again, superb! The food exquisite, the pianist was highly entertaining and the French Maitre De was charming.

The leisure facilities were a much appreciated added bonus! A Spa Bath, Steam Room, Sauna, Pool and Fitness Suite were fitting of the Hotel's star rating.

The Executive room was overlooking the lake (no scaffolding), tastefully furnished (no tacky blanket) and a dream to sleep in. The added bonus is that with the upgrade comes the use of the executive lounge - complimentary soft drinks, juice, tea/coffee, muffins, biscuits, free internet use, papers and continental breakfast.

All in all, what a fantastic stay, we will be back!

It was fine

by TripAdvisor Member sellotape12

+Plenty of parking
+Cot provided in room
+Good size room
+Powerful shower
+Big TV in the bar to watch England beat France in the Rugby World Cup
+Reasonable price
+Not bothered by city centre pub/club noise
+Good shopping location
+Plenty of alternative places to eat breakfast nearby (at a fraction of the price!)
- Cooked breakfast was £15!
- The hotel photo doesn't show that the hotel is on a major roundabout so traffic noise is noticeable though not too bad.
-Lots of traffic light between the hotel and the city centre (not really the fault of the hotel!)

Comments