Marriott - Cardiff

Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Marriott.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• City centre hotel

The hotel is usefully placed near the city centre with a frequentbus service outside the hotel down to Cardiff Bay. The rooms are comfortable with all amenities but it is advisable to ask for a high room as the noise from the street below continues until at least 3am. The food is nicely presented although the dining room was very quiet during the duration of our stay. Please beware the drinks in the dining room are very expensive (a bottle of sparkling water offered by our waiter was charged at £5.95 for the bottle, ask for tap water).
    Cardiff is a compact city with many attractions including the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff Castle, Cardiff Bay and a very large museum and art gallery. Worth a visit is the St Fagans Folk Musuem a few miles out of Cardiff.

Unique Quality: None, a typical modern city centre hotel

Directions: City centre location, but very close to extensive ongoing building work

• Liz10052's Profile Photo

Cardiff Marriott

Unique Quality: Generally a high quality hotel. Nicely decorated, comfortable rooms. Decent sized car park, although it gets quite full, so I would recommend that once you find a space, leave your car there and walk. It's easy to walk to most of the Cardiff sights from this hotel, including the Millenium Stadium, which is quite close.

More about Marriott - Cardiff

Fantastic****Hotel & Leisure

by TripAdvisor Member cmonspurs

Nicest hotel I've ever stayed in! was the quote from my daughter during our stay in Cardiff Marriott. All that you expect from 4 star hotel plus friendly staff, modern and clean design, cosy beds, superb leisure facilities and excellent food. Worth a visit to the Leisure Club as it has one of the best steam rooms that i've visited. Our trip to Cardiff was extra special because of this hotel.

Do not stay here unless you like noise, lack of privacy, harassed staff

by TripAdvisor Member FlopsyUk

As you can probably gather from the title we had a terrible time here.

This hotel reminds me of some of the very bad russian hotels from the '80's.

Construction is so poor that noise from both outside and inside the hotel is overwhelming. We could hear everything from the room next door and even the man singing from 3 doors down.

The walls and doors are very flimsy and I'm amazed the hotel stands up.

There are 2 wings to the hotel with views/noise from either the railway side or the night-clubs side. Even being on a high floor doesn't make much difference.

If the hotel was better constructed this would not be a problem. I'm used to inner-city hotels and this one must rank amoung the worse.

They have renovated in Marriot corporate colours but this was merely a "papering over cracks" exercise. Although this was done recently, it is already looking tired and there were obvious stains in the rooms we looked at.

Service was hilarious with no answer to the phone being the norm. The room service menu has a disclaimer that the food will be free if not delivered within a certain time - to get around this they merely stop answering the phone.

The room service man we eventually spoke to said that he would have to talk to the Chef about our order and call us back if OK. All very strange and unprofessional.

In our room the bed linen was foul and didn't even fit the bed. They must have run out of Queen sized bed linen and then used double. Pity that they didn't look at it before making the bed.

The only thing we liked about this hotel was that some of the windows opened and we could feed the gulls who gather on the ledges.

City centre comfort

by TripAdvisor Member Melfyn

I've stayed at the Marriott on a handful of occasions now and on the whole it's growing on me. The location is second to none - easy walking distance to all city centre attractions and shopping. The bedrooms have been very comfortable on all occasions, breakfasts have been very good with plenty of healthy (and not so healthy!) options.

At the moment it seems the hotel is in the middle of a lot of building work (they're extending the nearby St David's Shopping Centre) so you might want to think again if you're looking for well-established surroundings. When I was there last (late Jan 2007) the hotel car park was transferring to a brand new hotel-owned multi-storey being built next door. I think they may be selling the land in front of the hotel where the parking used to be - so be prepared for more building work for a couple of years... Parking costs £10 overnight for guests so that will have an impact on comparison with other hotels,

So be prepared for some disruption but when the building work is complete I'm sure the hotel will be in demand more than ever.

A seasoned Cardiff visitor recommends the Marriott

by TripAdvisor Member Prop

My wife and I visit Cardiff about 6 times a year, mostly for the rugby internationals. For the Wales vs. Ireland game we tried the Marriott for the first tine.

I was not too sure what to expect in view of the mixed reviews below and was very pleasantly surprised. Apart from the McDonald Holland House, this is the best all round Cardiff hotel we have stayed at (and we have stayed at most of the 4 star hotels in the city)..

Despite this being one of the busiest nights of the year for the hotel I would imagine, the service from the staff was good. They were polite and attentive. Breakfast in the morning was very good with a good selection of hot and cold buffet items. The cooked breakfast choice was better than usual in a chain hotel - I was particularly impressed by the crispy bacon and fluffy scrambled eggs.

Our room was clean, a reasonable size and well furnished

Bar prices are on the steep side but no more than any other city centre hotel. The hotel is also in the middle of the city's entertainment area so there is a huge choice of pubs, bars cafes and restaurants to satisfy most tastes.

The bar has a decked outside terrace with large sunshades over the tables. Usefully these have heaters so it was a pleasant place to enjoy a nightcap on a cold but dry and crisp January night.

Previous reviewers have complained about the car park. This is now sorted. The hotel now has its own secure multi storey car park immediately next to the entrance (I think it had just opened as builders were giving it the final touches). It costs £10 a night but that is reasonable for the city centre. If it is full, the hotel has a deal with the NCP nearby for a £12.50 overnight rate.

The hotel is very conveniently situated at the end of St Mary's street. The shops, railway station, Cardiff International Arena and the Millennium stadium are all within 5-10 minutes walking distance.

The area around the hotel is currently undergoing massive building work as a new shopping centre is built. The exterior of the hotel (see the car park) is also being upgraded and the hotel is currently surrounded by hoardings and barriers. Don't let these put you off as we saw no evidence of the work affecting the interior of the hotel (although we were there at the weekend admittedly). When the work is finished, the hotel's position will be even more desirable.

We paid an internet rate of £98 for a room for 2, booking 9 months in advance. I felt we got real value for money.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hel.fox

The location of this hotel is brilliant if you are on foot. We got off the train and it was only a 5 min walk. The hotel itself is lovely - clean rooms, smart lobby, and friendly staff.

Rooms were a medium size with fantastic bedding and a whole range of complimentary goods (which you can request online).

Noise levels were ok, although we'd asked for a top floor room so it may be worse lower down. Bit of a building site outside at the moment but should be nice when its complete.

Great Breakfast! Recommended if you are looking for a central location :-)

Very enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Cazzers

I was in Cardiff on business a week ago and checked into the Marriott for 2 nights. This was my first stay at this hotel and must admit to being a bit dubious after reading some of the previous reviews but any doubts I had proved to be unfounded.
The reception staff when I checked in were friendly and I was told that I'd been allocated a king sized room. The room was large with a huuuuuuge comfy bed (6 pillows), soft sofa and all the usual amenities. I was especially pleased to find chocolates on the pillows for me, plus a bowl of fresh fruit and also a small box of continental chocs left on the writing desk. I've never had that in Holland House or the Park Plaza... Unfortunately, the chocolates weren't replaced the second night as I had hoped :-)
Bathroom was great with beautiful toiletries that WERE replaced for my second night - there wasn't a robe, but I'm nit-picking.
Breakfast was delicious and there was lots of choice.
On my second night, I opted for room service which arrived within 20 minutes. The waiter was so nice, polite and friendly and the food was fantastic.
Unlike previous reviewers, I didn't notice any problems with noise although the building work outside started at 7.30 in the morrning - not a concern as I had to attend some meetings anyway but probably not the best if you were on a break.
The only down point for me was the receptionist when I checked out. She was a bit off-hand and whilst not exactly rude, her customer service could certainly be improved. Luckily for me, she disappeared half way through dealing with a small mix up that ocurred (presumably to go for lunch) and the lady who took over was much nicer and sorted out the problem in no time.
I would definitely stay here again.

The best hotel for a long time

by TripAdvisor Member beckyashton

I was really looking forward to staying in Cardiff as I went there as a student although this time wanting a bit more luxury. The hotel was easier to find than I thought having read some bad reviews about its hard to find location. The only difficulty at first was locating exactly where the carpark was (other drivers behind us had similar problems). However, despite the carpark charge (10 pounds per night) it was secure - this being great for a city center location.

The room we had was on the tenth floor and the view was excellent over the Millenium stadium and the city center. Yes there was a bit of redevelopment outside but is that really the Marriott's fault? The windows doubled up at night to stop any loud noise coming through although we could not hear that much up high anyway.

I had a slight illness while I was there the first morning and the staff could not do enough for me. They put us through to the right local services and had an appointment for me at the nearest GP in an hour!!! I could not even do that at my local doctors. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly and could not stop offering me hundreds of those complimentary tea bags and biscuits!!

Finally, the hotel room was spacious, a large bathroom, two double beds and enough gadgets to control nearly everything you wanted in the room. We have booked to go back there in the summer.

The only downside was the prices in the bar - not much change from a tenner for a cup of tea and coffee although we did get more 'free' biscuits at all occasions

Not great but not terrible either

by TripAdvisor Member sammi-loves-shopping

I booked this weekend stay in advance using marriott points and was pleasantly surprised to note that ALL my wishes had been accomodated. My only issue was that the room was rather small so it was a bit of a squeeze to accomodate our travel cot.

However the air conditioning worked like a charm and the room was clean and had been stocked with a thoughtful fruit basket and water.

As we were ex-cardiff residents we had no problems locating the car park and were delighted to see they had finally addressed their parking issues as the parking USED to be terrible. We didn't use any hotel facilities as were knew of cheaper places nearby for food and entertainment. However we did appreciate the central location. for visiting friends, eating and shopping.

The only downsides were that the staff knew less about cardiff tourism than we did and the couple in the room next door having noisy "fun" next door at 3am, though to be fair, i doubt the couple appreciated our crying baby at 5am!! Perhaps a little more planning by the hotel could have avoided this.

I would stay here again, but only for a discounted rate and would ultimately prefer the st davids in the bay or the hilton for facilities, room size and service.

Hotels

by diddums

Where is there a good hotel, not too expensive. I need it for 2 nights as i am travelling from blackpool to cardiff for a meeting.

by hicken

I always fancied staying at the Big Sleep - it looks so cool (www.thebigsleephotel.com). Is £58 too expensive? I'd be interested to hear what it's like if you do stay there.

by mendip6

There are lots of B&B's and small hotels in the city, contact Cardiff Visitor Centre, e-mail visitor@the cardiffinitiative.co.uk They also offer a bed-booking service(fee£2) You tell them your budget, location, and they will do the searching and booking for you, or you could go to www.visitcardiff.info

by mikip

who is this

Re: Re: Hotels

by iytvviuicd

Cardiff Marriott seems reasonable - about £176 a night though!

by Drewfreak80

More cheating on the ICT coursework i see stop being weiners and get your work done on your own.

Comments