Mercure Holland House Hotel & Spa Cardiff

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Mercure Holland House Hotel & Spa Cardiff

Excellent Cosmopolitan Feel

by TripAdvisor Member EdTed

This hotel is an amazing place to stay in cardiff. Stayed over Valentines weekend and the service is clinical and top notch. We took afternoon tea in the bar which was delicatly presented, as was dinner in the restaurant with the piano music at just the right volume, and the lights at the right strength. Pool and Gym were both easily located and were great to use! The room was also very nice, well presented, with widescreen tv, chairs and table, very nice bathroom with speakers from the Hi-fi built in.

I would recommend this to anyone staying in cardiff, it has a relaxed comsmopolitan athmosphere that is great for young couples.

Thank you Holland house for a romantic valentines!

good but not great

by TripAdvisor Member SherlockT

I am a regular visitor to Cardiff on business and usually stay at the St David's but on this visit it was full and therefore as a result of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor I decided to stay at Holland House.

A number of other reviews have compared this hotel very favourably to the St David's. In my mind it is a good hotel - the rooms are great (although some suffer from external noise ), the foods ok, the facilities are good and depending upon what you are up to it is in quite a convenient location and if you get a decent rate it is very very good value for money but the St David's it isn't

To my mind the most obvious differences lie in the level of thought in the service and very obviously in the spa area. The staff at St David's are, on the whole, more thoughtful and pro-active. there were a couple of times at Hollland House where I simply wasted my time because a staff member didn't show any anticipation or real customer service awareness at all.

Some reviews have indicated that the spa areas at Holland House are comparable to the St David's - in reality if you have used them botht here is no comparison. Holland House has an OK swimming pool, a sanua , steam room and an old fashioned jacuzzi and if you swim up to the blinds, which I did, then you are greeted by the smiling faces of the passengers on the top floor of the double decker buses which rumble past the spa on the main road just outside. By comparison St Davids has a stunning spa area with pool, large steam room. huge jacuzzi with different areas, swans neck massge showers, a walk through mineral bath etc etc and views and surroundings to match.

Having made these observations there is usually a significant price differential between Holland House and St David's and therefore a value for money calculation comes into play as well as a comparison of the absolute quality of each hotel.

I would stay at Holland House again if I was on a flying visit and needed to be in that part of Cardiff because it is a good hotel but if you can get a competitive rate at the St David's and have time to enjoy the facilities then there is no chioce

Awful!!

I found this hotel to be absolutely disgraceful! The Club rooms were small and cramped with little or no luxuries. The room was dirty and the bed had not been changed from previous guests! You do not expect to pay top money for a very bad hotel - the hairs and stains on the sheets were disgusting as was makeup on the bath robes! The Spa was very sparse and bare and again not very clean. I would never stay at this hotel again.

NOT COOL!

by TripAdvisor Member segbird

I stayed here for a annual dinner in November. Firstly, the tariffs were messed up and we ended paying more than advertised. Added to this, parking was a nightmare - with no room in the underground car park they wanted us to park down the road in a less than secure enviroment. The room was fine. It was clean and the view from the upper floors was lovely.

My biggest problem revolved around the staffing. It was very poor and unprofessional - the service in the restaurant was awful.

Am I in the right place?

Haveing seen the last couple of reviews I was a little worried about staying at this hotel....

However I was wrong....

This is simply the best hotel in Cardiff,

The rooms are the largest in Cardiff that I have seen (and very clean), the restaurant is first class - It has 1 rosette at the moment but I'm sure it will get another soon - fantastic food and service for just £20 - where else can you get that. One of the few hotels I've enjoyed breakfast in.

The health club is also very impressive with a great range of up to date equipment and facilities.

The staff are some of the best I've encountered in any hotel... they are very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. they seemed to know what I wanted even before I did. This is one of the few hotels where the staff seem to care about the guests and not see them as an inconvenience.

One drawback the car park is a little small for the size of hotel (but cheaper than the NCP) and I could not get in although they did arrange a cheap rate for me at the local car park which is only about 2 min walk away and seemed quite secure.

Would I stay here again? You bet this is by far the best I've found in South Wales and one of my best finds yet.

loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Tixilix

stayed last summer at The Holland House and loved it. We got a really good deal on late rooms. Rooms fantastic large, huge bed, lovely bathroom widescreen tv, amazing views, very clean etc. Nice bar. We did not eat in hotel so I cant comment on lunch and dinner. Hotel well located easy to walk to centre. overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

It was perfect for Valentines..well almost

by TripAdvisor Member Rhi

I stayed here on Saturday 12th Feb 2005 for an early Valentines with my boyfriend. I have no complaints at all, we had a lovely large room, corner bath, seperate shower, widescreen tv, fab views etc etc. one of the best things was putting the stereo on and sitting in the bath with the music coming through the speaker on the ceiling in the Bathroom...i want that at home!
We booked dinner, bed and breakfast, so when we arrived we booked our table for dinner, however due to a charity ball the only time available was 9.15pm.
We went to dinner, had a lovely dinner, however the service was awful, the waitress lost our order 3 times, and when she remembered we'd been sitting there for 30mins without drinks she brought mine over but not my boyfriends, which was eventually wrong. we didn't get our dessert until 12.10am, so not the best meal. However the food was FAB!!! The total cost of our dinner was £86! Not bad, considering we only paid £95 for dinner, bed and breakfast off lastminute as a special offer..not seen it again since, especially as it is meant to be £220! breakfast the next morning was good too, everything you could think off really.
The swimming pool was small but adequate, however the jacuzzi was broken! I would stay here again, the staff were very helpful and it was a very enoyable night.

vary good hotel

In terms of location, service, cleanliness etc. I could not fault this hotel. Our only regret was that we did not stay long enough to enjoy more of the hotel and the city. Rooms were very big and convenient to get to, the lay out of the hotel means that all fo the rooms are very close to the lifts. The building is light and airy and the views from the floor we were on were wonderful. I would have no hestiation in booking this hotel again, especially considering the very good rate (£78.00 for two b&b).

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member CheshireUntested

As a business traveller and regular visitor to Cardiff I have visited every hotel in Cardiff and surrounding during the last twelve months, trying to find an hotel that I am happy with. At last my search is over.
The style and the decor is bright and modern but not flash or over the top. The rooms are clean and luxurious with all the facilities needed for business or for the tourist. The food and service was excellent and obvious that ingredients are not boil in the bag. The service, particulary from Reception, was.....superb! But don't make my mistake, find time to enjoy The Spa.

The best hotel in Cardiff

I stayed at The Holland House in November 2004. I had a club room on the top floor. The room was very large with a leather sofa bed in the seperate seating area, large widescreen TV and king sized bed. The decor is contemporary with a lovely warm feel. The bathroom had a seperate shower and Molton Brown toiletries. The views over Cardiff are fantastic and the spa / pool pure luxury, far better than the 5* St. Davids at Cardiff Bay. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, I've stayed at the 5* Hilton and the 5* St. Davids and although the Holland House is only a 4* hotel it is by far the best hotel in Cardiff. I can't wait to go back!

Comments