11-15 Howard Gardens, Cardiff, cf22oef, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Only return if the budget's real tight!

I spent two nights at this hostel in December 2012. My experiences were mixed. I had a single room for 20 gbp per night (December 2012) and it was adequate for my needs and the staff were pleasant and friendly. The bathrooms, however, were dirty and probably haven't been cleaned during my stay!

I had a night of interupted sleep became of a row and fight in a dorm nearby and I eventually had to phone reception and ask them to go and deal with it!

There is a pleasant dining/common room which leads to a back yard but is used for guests who go out and smoke. I imagine in the summer it would be used for barbecues. There is a bar area but I never saw it open. I think there is a left luggage facility and a laundry.

The breakfast was scanty and unappetising served at inflexible times and you are required to leave your ID/Credit Card with reception as a deposit for your key, which I wasn't comfortable with whatsoever!

Unless my budget doesn't allow me to stay elsewhere I don't think I'll stay in this hostel again.

Unique Quality: Conveniently situated in the city centre and near Queen Street Railway Station.

Directions: Off Newport Road in the City Centre.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Mixed Experiences

I could not put any better title to this tip, because I indeed do have mixed feelings about my stay in this hostel.

It is quite a large hostel, but I still liked it because it is a quirky building with a lot of stairs, small floors and hidden corners, so it never felt that big to me. Staff were very friendly, there is free wifi even in the rooms, and the free breakfast was quite good. The location is also convenient: It is not directly in the city centre, in a very quiet area, but the walk to the centre is only about five to ten minutes, a taxi from the bus and train station to the hostel is only £5.

On the other hand, the first room I stayed in was really terrible. The beds were very creeky and made a noise every time somebody turned - not good if you are a light sleeper and don't have ear plugs (which didn't apply to me, but to other people in my room). The sheets were clean, but very, very old. The bathrooms were also very old and were not cleaned frequently.
    The second room I stayed in was much better, with new beds, lockers and a cupboard (the first room did not have any furniture), but still there was the problem that I did not like those old and a bit dirty bathrooms.

Directions: North of the town centre

Comments